Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So yesterday my mom reminded me I had a birthday coming up and what did I want? I told her I had a couple of things in mind and l'd get back to her.

Today was filled with good and bad Karma, stuff acting up, communications fouled. My laptop wouldn't connect to the internet and I found a bad cable. I have had problems with these cables before and they are impossible to find (you have to buy the booster to get the cable) but you get the idea. Low and behold the Radio Shack guy in the Ace Hardware store had one. Plugged it in, took it to a wifi place and Success! Then I got to thinking about what delnorter had said (thanks Mike) telling me about shrimp guns at our local True Value AND the fact Karen told me they just announced they were going out of business. So I headed over to hopefully get one while they are still open. I get there and there are no parking places. I finally find a spot, get closer and see a sign saying everything is 1/2 off in the store. The fishing tackle was already almost gone! I ask a guy to show me his shrimp guns and they had two left. Got the one for $17 including tax. Went back to Ace and the guy says "what cha gonna do with that sand dredge?"

I knew I was in the right place.8-) 5 bucks later I walk out with a combo extension/reducer to 1 inch. Cool huh?

So I set out to the lower river this eve to test it out. Found an awesome looking spot that I have never even seen before cuz the water is so low. 3 boulders with each 15x10x10 and nearly touching each other forming a key hole. There were two low points inside. One easy and one hard. Neither looked disturbed at all so I went to work on the easy one. Got a gallon in an hour...half an hour moving +1" rocks and another 1/2 hour slurping. I learned several things right away...

Press fit couplings get tighter in cold water. I broke the reducer trying to break it down for transport. I'll get 3 more tomorrow.

I need to replace the nut with a stainless steel wing nut and lock washer. Then no wrench required and infinitely adjustable on the fly.

When it stops getting material, it's time to move more +1" rocks.

It doesn't work real well w/o the reducer.

The lack of a one way valve means before you finish the stroke you have to raise the tip, keep pulling and raise the tip higher than the gun...otherwise it pours right back out.

It would be easy (and might even work) to add a one way valve, a Y and hose and fasten it to my homemade sluice. Slurp right into sluice and home to process. Thanks for the idea IdahoJake! :headbang:

It's kinda big for close quarters. Closed, the gun is 36" long by itself with a 2 1/2" intake. With the reducer/extension on the end, it tops out at 5'4" closed. I'm 6'2 so it fits good overall.

Just now got home, been going all out since eight, bushed but dying to know what's in the bucket. Just another sleepless night. I'll run it tomorrow...unless I go again.: thumbsup:

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Also just donated to Land Matters and Leigh is mailing my CA DVD tomorrow. Thanks to my 89 yo mom!:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy B-day! Ya might try adding a 45 degree fitting on the bottom to give you a little more time on the transfer. I think Reed posted a video of his set up that way.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy Hatching day GrassHopper! May you find 10X the gold that you did last year! (Or more if ya want to be greedy! :laughing7: )

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ooh nice! :D
Happy Birthday too!

Show us the first gold that you pull with that puppy when you get a chance. :)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy BD.
Submerge a fairly large but low sided container next to where you are slurping and transfer the material under water. You may need to first anchor it with a large rock that can be taken out as the container is filled. Less chance for loss during the transfer.

Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy BD.
Submerge a fairly large but low sided container next to where you are slurping and transfer the material under water. You may need to first anchor it with a large rock that can be taken out as the container is filled. Less chance for loss during the transfer.

Good luck

Hmmm...I LIKE! Rock in plastic bin, sink and fill said bin. KISS! Frick gravity! :laughing9:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm...I LIKE! Rock in plastic bin, sink and fill said bin. KISS! Frick gravity! :laughing9:

Why it seems like just yesterday we were talking about something like that..... Remember?....:laughing7:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy birthday Jeff, I hope you're not as old as that yellow stuff we all crave LOL! Have a great day!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember? At my age??? This is what I get now. :icon_shaking2: Thank you tho!

Speaking of age...... I was actually trying to direct that reply to arizau...... My oldtimers is starting to be for frequent....:laughing7:... Oh well Happy B-Day..:thumbsup:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Birthday Jeff!!

I see you are having fun, keeps the child in you young and going...................63bkpkr

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of age...... I was actually trying to direct that reply to arizau...... My oldtimers is starting to be for frequent....:laughing7:... Oh well Happy B-Day..:thumbsup:

I've been old for a long time now. Kind of getting used to it. NOT.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy birthday!
Lowes has good selection of one way values on line. In store selection not as good of course. They only seem to have more expensive ones, imagine that : o mine were 6.00 each, I've only had out a few times but so far so good.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I left the hardware store today, a guy in his 40's held the door for me.
I told him "I guess that makes me an old guy"
He laughed and said "I didn't say that"

Next year I'm getting on Social Security and going hunting gold !!

Happy Birthday

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where it was...

Been traveling, sampling and slurping. Even went across the border. Let's call it Nottellin Creek .8-) Good thing I went too as it rained all day yesterday and it gave me something to do. I also wanted everything cleaned up before Dizzy gets here this Tuesday pm. It was only a little over two gallons and it all had to be classified first so I quickly went from 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 12 and then 20 and was hopeful as I panned the remains. Very very little. Damm, that spot looked good. Oh well...may as well check the classified stuff...

Dumped the 1/4" stuff into a pan. Nothing.
Dumped the 1/8 stuff. Nothing.
The 12 stuff. Nothing
20? Lots to look at but nothing.

So once again I'm disappointed. It starts to get dark in my head but as I stare at the +20 contents, this voice comes thru it all and says;
"Ya know...you're not going to hurt it...dig your trowel around in there."

He is right of course. So I turn my trowel on edge and and sweep it once across the top...WHAT? NO! Can't be! MY FIRST PICKER!!!

001.jpg 005.jpg

Holy cra*! After over two years of looking there it is...smiling back at me even! :occasion18::hello2::headbang: Made dam sure what I was looking at with the lope, took lots of pics, an Karen confirmed. Wow! This has never happened to me before...what to do?

E-mail all my out of state friends of course!

Of all the pics, the above pics were the only good ones. I say it qualifies because I can pick it up with my fingers and it rattles in the vial. (you're right Lanny...Sounds SWEET!)

It's about the size of a head on a map pin and weighs in at .045 grams. And yes, it was the only one.

Never Give UP! Never Surrender! YeeHaw! So so jacked about this. I don't think I've felt this good since I got.....ummm...another story for another time. :tongue3:

So it's TRUE! They didn't get it all!

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey congratulations Jeff, that sure does look like the real thing.

I'm headed out with Jodie to look over some recently burned forest for deer hunting possibilities. Find a good spot and glass until dark.

Sounds like Dizzy Digger will be here Tuesday until? Is he in a camper? Staying in the park at your place? I will have to work but I'd like to at least meet him.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread