Garbage all over mining claim

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I backpacked to a remote area a couple days ago on a creek and found a mining claim with garbage strewn everywhere. There was about 1/8th of an acre with literally every kind of trash you can imagine - old sleeping bags, gas cans, thousands of food cans, etc etc and a highbanker setup. I called the forest service and was told that the owner has had the claim for over 3 years and has already been told to clean up the mess. Im wondering what actions can be taken to have his claim removed from his ownership. I feel the forest service is undermanned out here and is not fully capable of dealing with this type of thing due to the loss of funds from the active fire season out here in cali.

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks for that Fowled
those that have a claim in Sierra county, we pay a property tax, and i will have to find it, but was given a notice many years ago that we were being charge for waste hence the increase in property tax, and them their dumpsters be on federal land in camping area's build by convicts, what a a-hole host , but they are new people, running the program, The last ones were really nice and moved up to host sierra sangriala or the lure not sure which one

Speaking of trash. On my way home yesterday from the claim I stopped into the nearby Forest Service campground like I always do to dispose of my small bag of trash. As I get out of my truck the camp "host" pulls up along side and tells me I can't use "their" dumpsters. I ask why not. "Because these are "OUR" dumpsters and we pay alot of money to have the service and you didn't stay here." I purposely didn't tell him I had a mning claim a few miles away but said "No, you are correct I did not stay here in this camp however I did stay in this forest". He says "well these dumpsters are for "OUR" guests only". At that point, I knew where "OUR" conversation was heading, said F'it to myself, I was tired, wet, and getting very agitated. So I put my bag of trash back into my truck and thanked the idjit for doing his part to help keep America and "OUR" forests beautiful. Now today, I feel rested and rejuvenated so I plan on dedicating a few hours contacting the Forest Service and the vendor. I feel it necessary to make sure they understand that it is not the vendors dumpster and as a user of the forest and tax payer I have the right to dump a small bag of trash into the fricken dumpster. WTF happened to common courtesy, common sense and just plain ol being nice to people you meet. I don't look like a criminal whatever that is supposed to look like. I drive a nice vehicle, my gear is nice and clean, I don't look like a nomadic vagabond, hell 98% percent of the time I even have a smile on my face, especially when I''ve been at the claim- I don't know, I just don't get it. Maybe the guy that has the claim the OP is talking about is near me and he was told the same thing when he tried to use the dumpster!

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
'' WTF happened to common courtesy, common sense and just plain ol being nice to people you meet.''

I hate too say it but that's an old fashion value these days. It seems to be the days of what's in it for me, its a sad state but like most of us on here I will teach my kids real values and with luck we can bring them back.

And like many others have said the FS is not our friend anymore and I know some of them personally

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I remember that insanity Russau in DC. Closed camps all over the place?? Same same as always now-concentrate all user groups into a finite space, then deny services which gives them a excuse to boot you as LOOK AT ALL THAT DAMAGE AND DEGRADATION. Slick bureaucratic scam that has worked just fine...aka dredging gone. John

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
agreed, R.I.P Dredge's

aditemonroe15

Greenie
Sep 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s really pathetic that the government or the authority are not interested in looking for options to control the waste disposal. It’s not that tough for the government to implement some plans for garbage disposal. We just can’t blame only the government, every single people who are responsible for improper garbage disposal. We are having a lot of garbage disposal companies, but we are not using them wisely and inviting trouble.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a gravel pit in the forest nearby and all the locals use it for a gun range. It is on the side of a logging road that dead ends about a mile past the pit. I was up there burning ammo one day along with about 10 other people and a truck drives by loaded with a refrigerator and a mattress. Half an hour later he comes out but the truck is empty. He was promptly stopped by a half dozen heavily armed guys and recieved a quite respectable arse chewing. I don't know what he did with it later but he loaded it up and took it out.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right on Bonaro...sometimes you MUST show scum the light, even if it's a laser sight :headbang: kudos-John

I completely agree ...got another experience

About 20 years ago while a friend and I were bow hunting, we drove up on an Asian guy unloading shingles on the end of a landing. My buddy hopped out and casually walked over to the guy who never stopped tossing shingles. I followed wondering how this would play out. He asked the guy to stop and pick it up several times and was ignored like he didn't understand. I remember this like it was yesterday, it was the most bad ass thing I have seen. My buddy just looked at him and calmly said " Ya know, The Army use to pay me and additional $65 per month to kill you people." then he just smiled a little....The dumper was quite startled and immediately started loading up all of his trash. We hung around until he was loaded and left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread