The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Loving all the comments from the prospecting community in this article. Informative and polite. Complete opposite of the opposition which feels they need to call names and personally attack people they disagree with. Good job guys!

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PurpleGold hasn't made any friends yet.
I see a trend.......

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Quote removed for rule violation)

As Justice Robie made clear it in the 3rd Appellate Rinehart decision that commercial practicable must be considered when applying the federal mining law (Granite Rock). Motors are going to be part of that and as the opinion stated ....."the efficient and economical extraction and use of minerals".....

ratled

Last edited by a moderator:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Quote removed for rule violation)

Your stance on this subject is quite surprising, knowing how dedicated you are to prospecting and mining I'm somewhat confused that you would not like to see any gasoline powered operation on the waterways. You seem like someone that would use every available means to find gold. I've seen in a few of your videos you using a red outboard powered raft to get around..

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
( quote removed for rule violation)

first of all,not everybody,or probably the most people do not work snipable rivers with fat pickers......In many rivers you have to work by processing volume.
then..what ya do in a few years,when your back and bones start hurting too much.?Tools and machines will help you.I can dredge for months ,a showel kills my back in hours..What ya do when your pay lies too deep in the water?Need air compressor?Today i,ve read that electric cars ,when looking at the big picture,are enviromentaly worse than 20 year old cars Der Tesla-Trugschluss - Schweiz: Standard - tagesanzeiger.ch , i know ,its in german,just post it to show i,m not inventing things here.
This will not prevent goverments that signed uno agenda from raising the carbon tax and the green propaganda machinery to promote electric cars.
As long as they bring no efficient alternative ,raising the cost by taxing is just another way for goverments all over the world to further squeeze theire citicens .
The world will go on just like before,.money will be made,minerals will be mined,the question is by WHOM.
What is a dredge motor compared to what is beeing practiced in the world today , Mad?Where are your concerns about motors and isn,t that regulable? I would be very happy to apply all the safety measurments necessary regarding motors..(a trhough around the motor to avoid spills?)..if they let me.
And enyway.it doesn,t stop at the motors .Here in more and more states they started out lawing motors, now..sluices and showels,gravity dredging and shutting down prospecting for gold totally in entire states.Along with many other outdoors activitys. Actually you can prospect and mine,just pay an enviromental study and all the other stuff ,raising the cost to the stars,.and the MAYBE you can mine,(Dredging probably not) For what?For dredging small deposits whit has a minimal impact .All this always happens with a certain "language" ..Sustainability..blah blah,the same best practice,feasability enviroment.impact plan of operation language( that may make sense when you are running a really big operation )all over the world,generating dollars for papershufflers and excluding the simple man.

What i want to emphasize is ;

Diver based dregding has de minimis impact and if they let us dredge when we agree to use safety measures regarding motors(oil spills) i think we could live with it.
2. I,ts not going to stop at dredging
3.The enviromentalist organizations are part of the dollar machine .
4.There are thousands of people,especially in poorer countries around the world that are living from small scale dredging, feeding theire families with theire day to day finds.A gram of gold feeds the hole family .
5..consider yourself happy if you have snipable pickers in your rivers
6.Dredging has minimal impact
7Dredging has minimal impact

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just sayin I think there are better alternatives then gas.. just my thoughts.. take it leave it wipe your arse with it ... concerns me not.

Been drinking much Kool-aid lately?

You might want to educate yourself on stream dynamics before coping the attitude you have. Compared to mother nature, dredging doesn't even rate a blip on the radar.

Last I checked salmon have been around for about 300 million years which means they survived all sores of mayhem and chaos long before we were here and they will be here long after we are gone.

If you think there are better ways, then put your money where your mouth is. And if it works, then everybody will be using it and you'll be rich and have made a real difference in the environmental impact of mining. Otherwise, your just another fool waiting for someone else to do it and complaining when it doesn't meet with your approval.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's please keep it civil and remember we are a family friendly website....

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll go out on a limb and say I truly believe that more harm to the environment was done this year by marijuana grows across this state than the small scale miners working in the waterways using gas powered motors have done in the last twenty years. What is wrong with giving away a firearm? It's a tool no different than a sluice, pan, or dare I say the menacing looking Estwing pick! Many charity dinners and fund raisers give or auction off firearms. Wasn't all that uncommon before they gained an evil human like personality of their own.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll go out on a limb and say I truly believe that more harm to the environment was done this year by marijuana grows across this state than the small scale miners working in the waterways using gas powered motors have done in the last twenty years. What is wrong with giving away a firearm? It's a tool no different than a sluice, pan, or dare I say the menacing looking Estwing pick! Many charity dinners and fund raisers give or auction off firearms. Wasn't all that uncommon before they gained an evil human like personality of their own.

I can attest to that! I cannot even drive home not just this time of year but all the time,from work without feeling nearly sick from the smell of illegal grows. Working at a hardware store it is abhorrent the amount of chemicals people buy to throw on their plants wether fertilizer or pesticide. And don't get me started on the trimmigrants that come to make quick money, trash the town, steal from local business and then leave to whatever hole they came from.

I personally think the whole motor debate is more about noise and nuisance and not wanting to share "your" section of river with other outdoor lovers then it is about pollution. I am under the impression that the have catch pans to prevent any leaks? If I am wrong I apologize. If I had s dredge I would sure install one.

I also do not have any qualms about firearm raffles depending on the situation. I would assume most would be for a business (in which case most people who frequent gun stores enough to know they are having a raffle are not noobs) or inside a club like the NRA or something. Kmart is not going to have a gun raffle, lol. It just depends on the context.

While I cannot speak for most of my age or sex, my opinion is probably a minority in both groups, but who knows.

Good discussion.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Trimigrants"- that's priceless! Funny they can deposit their waste anywhere they want all around their camp, but as a claim holder I have to haul mine out.

Ironic that our county forced a mandatory sole service garbage system (at over twice the cost we were paying) on each town in the foothills to reduce road damage and traffic caused by the different companies and their heavy haul garbage trucks. Yet throughout the year, going unchecked, unregulated, and untaxed we have the growers bringing up backhoes, bobcats, crawlers, and smalldozers for grow site prep. All spring we dodge semi-truck and transfers hauling soil, and commercial flatbeds hauling pallets of individually wrapped plastic bags of "green organic" fertilizer and drums of chemical laden fertilizer and soil amendments. Then when it gets hot we have water trucks going up and down the hill all day everyday hauling the water they stole from the nearest municipal water system down in the valley. Think of the thousands of gallons of fossil fuels being consumed and the subsequent pollutants from the machinery and vehicles. Environmental responsibility? Take a gander at any foothill community on googlearth and look at all the clear cutting for grow sites. What happens when you cut down the stronger trees along the canyons and ridges that provide protection to buffer the wind for the interior trees. Or how does all the clear cutting of the healthy trees help with the spread of the Pine Beetle infestation. What about the wells that are being pumped dry because of the excessive water use in the grows or how about the fertilizers, pesticides, and liquid amendments that are leaching into our water tables and aquafers. Think it don't? Look at the wells that have been said to be contaminated because of meth labs, what's the difference? It's hypocrisy- just like the organizations, their cohorts, and supportors who have spearheaded the demise of mining in California embracing and offering public outreach programs, workshops, and festivals in Nevada county to promote responsible marijuana cultivation. In other words they will work with you to show you how to deforest and introduce non-native species on yours or the publics land. But hey, lotsa sick folks out there in need of their O'care and "medicine", right? Live and let live!

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Spot on. "Trimmigrants" is considered politically incorrect. Good thing I'm not a politician! Ha ha. But yeah, wether they are gas powered or have a giant acid filled battery (do we want that near the water?) underwater vacuum cleaners are just peachy. :)

Last edited:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about cars and trucks. There are 100"s and 1000"s that travel alone the water ways every day. Most have more oil leaks then any dredge would ever have. All the run off from the roads go into some stream some place.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gentlemen . For me I suppose its not about everything else. Boats Cars blah blah blah. The list can go on and on. And if I were to justify my actions to the template of our Society then I suppose I could justify anything and everything as long as I have the money to make it so.. I said it before and Ill say it again.. Prospecting/mining is a lifestyle for me.. I do not do this as a way to get rich. The gold is just a means to get the modern day slavers off my back. I love the areas I work in.. I do not wish to ruin it for the future.. Not because I am careless and most certainly not because I am greedy. I believe in moderation.. I try to mimic that in my life. But anyway what the oil industry what the populace is doin concerns me not as I have no control of that.. But here at home where I live I do have oppurtunities to make a difference.. So for me I do not use Gas on the waterways and I rather others didn't.. I use Lithium Batteries for my power needs. But that's just me.. I think that prospectors should be in constant motion in regards to our abilities to protect the environment.. But in truth most prospectors these days are recreation and despite what people say it shows.. There is only one thing that makes a successful prospector/miner. A mirror will show where a mans success come from.
Anyway gentlemen as fun as this stuff is you might want to check out some other threads as they will have an impact on you. Seems PLP gots their head in there ass once again. I wish you all well and good luck pursuing the yellow.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to understand that in this situation your thoughts and stance though heart felt and true to your beliefs, is not helping the big picture. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, that said it is also their duty to understand what they say truly means in the big scope of what there opinions are base on. Mining won't go on, fights will be lost when miners themselves don't stand up for there rights. Using the label of recreation helps the opposition, mining without practical means of extraction would be considered recreation, so if I go by what you say then basically your saying that only recreational mining should be allowed. Right now we can mine all we want this way, it's the only means legally available at this time here in ca, so based on what your saying the way things are is how you want it. Only thing then is why so concerned about the fight and what everyone else is doing wrong?

Last edited:

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This notion of oil spills related to waterway mining seems to be a distraction. I'm pretty sure I've never had an oil spill while I have been mining, regardless of equipment used. As a responsible miner, there is also very little chance you will be spilling any measurable or harmful amount of gasoline into any waterway.
Is there a scientific study showing evidence that careless miners are spilling appreciable amounts of oil and gasoline into the waterways and that these spills are creating environmental harm? If so, then perhaps such concern is warranted and the offending miners may be in need of some basic training.
I don't believe the Fox article even mentions it as an issue.
The environmental concerns were that this mining "stirs up mercury in the sediment, alters stream channel structure, degrades gravel and kills fish eggs and small invertebrates". Now, someone please point to the independent scientific study that proves these claims.
Certainly, small-scale suction dredge mining, or whatever name you want to place on the activity, cannot be shown to be "ruining" anything.
Yes, "There is only one thing that makes a successful prospector/miner".
That individual is successful if he/she is able to locate and extract a valuable mineral deposit in an efficient and responsible manner.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck to you.. Hope all works out. Let me know how all that data and such is working for you. It seems to have done so well in the past.
Seems all the evidence is there should be a no brainer.. Wait a minute if the science is there and yet we are still losing what could the problem be? Maybe we just have incompetent representation. maybe they just greedy.. I have taken steps to protect my lifestyle.. Dredging is likely to remain illegal.. So I adapt and overcome. And I will continue to adapt and overcome. Its a hard thing to accept that we have very little control of our lives and the quality of our lives.. Just look around.. Write your senator or the president tell them your woes.. Pay a lawyer to restore your rights.. Do whatever . No skin off my back.. I'll be getting gold next year. This will be my last post on this thread and I think I shall continue my effort to refrain from posting in the genral forum. I was doin so well.. Anyway I will keep my thoughts to my journal..
I wish all well and happy holidays..

OP
OP
R

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're playing against a stacked deck. The science is there and has been since the first studies in the 1950s.We are dealing with government agencies that disregard existing laws , science and court decisions. Do you really think that this going to stop at just dredging and highbanking? Adapt and overcome? Not quite that simple.

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to you.. Hope all works out. Let me know how all that data and such is working for you. It seems to have done so well in the past.
Seems all the evidence is there should be a no brainer.. Wait a minute if the science is there and yet we are still losing what could the problem be? Maybe we just have incompetent representation. maybe they just greedy.. I have taken steps to protect my lifestyle.. Dredging is likely to remain illegal.. So I adapt and overcome. And I will continue to adapt and overcome. Its a hard thing to accept that we have very little control of our lives and the quality of our lives.. Just look around.. Write your senator or the president tell them your woes.. Pay a lawyer to restore your rights.. Do whatever . No skin off my back.. I'll be getting gold next year. This will be my last post on this thread and I think I shall continue my effort to refrain from posting in the genral forum. I was doin so well.. Anyway I will keep my thoughts to my journal..

There may be skin off of your back soon. You may NOT be getting gold next year. The eventual goal of those who are systematically denying our rights and access to public lands and waterways is not just focused on stopping people from dredging, highbanking, sluicing or panning. They want us, all of us, to not disturb public lands or waterways in any way, shape, or form...even your beloved crevicing, sniping and panning. If those of us you ridicule stop voicing our rights, paying to fight and summoning our legislatures to action, you won't be able to ADAPT AND OVERCOME. There won't be anything left to adapt to and overcome. All rights will be stripped away and you won't be allowed with 50 yards of any river, creek or dried gully with your broken gold pan and spoon in your hand.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basic truth - we fought when the Auburn State Rec Rangers started trying to change the rules to hands and pans only. Imagine making a living with your hands only, no pick, no shovel, no nothing except for a pan. Where would you be now Victor had we not fought? Probably on welfare or government assistance. Many of us have made a good living for our families for many years by mining with no assistance from the government ever. In fact we even pay taxes on our income. My retirement income is from my mining in the past and From that, on top of the taxes, I now pay $1374.00 a month to Obamacare that I don't even use, so how many illegal immigrants is my $15,000.00+ a year extra payments to the government helping? I feed my family all of the way down to my grandkids from my mining income that I put in place many years ago and this included my parents until they passed away. Will your way of mining be paying for you and your parents retirement? Or will you be one of the people taking their free medical or welfare checks from my mining as well?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread