Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Raining pretty good here now. Preview of coming attractions. Internet and TV both suffer too this time of year...next door to off the grid. The rain's no secret. Been expecting it, we need it, blah blah but more importantly, it makes me change gears. It is simply time to relax, refocus. research and review...which is a very good thing. A mandatory time out so to speak to just take the time...settle in and hopefully use the time wisely. (It's also an effective strategy against cabin fever I've found).

So been kicking some ideas around in my head to better myself as a prospector and hopefully the resulting improved miner part will follow. Here are mine and please share any of yours. Haven't really prioritized it yet but each are important enough to note for now.

Reread front to back... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

If there is one thing I've learned is that just like any new course of study, the more you learn the more you can pick up the second time around. When I first read Bedrock and Gold from front to back in 2013, I was a complete newbie. Maybe (maybe) getting 10% out of it. One of my tasks I've assigned to myself this winter is to completely reread the thread and take notes on the things that apply to me for 2016. Also to be done...all rules, regs and law files I have need to be reviewed, updated and printed out (especially if in my favor).

Use and become proficient on Land Matters in my area. http://www.mylandmatters.org/

Time to cash in on all that info that we have now. Never have we had this kind of access to what we need in history. Wow. Trouble is...I'm not a fast learner anymore (just ask the other Jeff) so I have lagged on it's use. But now...it's important because my new mantra is...(no, it's not sample)...

THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN POKING A SHOVEL INTO WHAT LOOKS TO BE GOOD GROUND!

Has my method worked? Yes. I can now find gold pretty much any where I go looking for it. The problem is I got .25 grams for the season and I now want that much per visit. Not a deal breaker if it doesn't happen...just what I'd like.

View/learn and apply the information contained in my CA DVD also from Land Matters...

Donation with free gift Special Research Collection One

And at least for the the moment...and due to the importance of the research, ALL lands that are not private property or claimed will be investigated in my area for the purpose of discovery with respect only to the environment.

Use/study and implement my newly acquired shrimp gun and incorporate my poor man's bazooka into the gun and/or my regular sampling/testing routine. It's hard to argue with that suction gun. It produced my first picker (see my new avatar) AND it was found with it's first use AND in the lower river.:headbang:

Sample often and as a matter of routine...not as an after thought. Do it quickly...just as I now pan. Don't give in to the insanity that sets in the minute you get boots on the ground.

Use magnets more during prospecting,sampling and clean ups. Make them available and easier to use. Ordered one of these today...

SE 8036TM-NEW 30-Inch Telescoping Magnetic Pick-Up Tool with 15-lb. Pull Capacity - - Amazon.com

Pay more attention to cobble and the type of rocks/minerals. (Yes...really ID them). Do this for both good and bad gold producing samples. So also looking at one of these...

Amazon.com : Teknetics Gold Pick with fiberglass handle, rubberized hand grip and powerful super magnet : Home Improvement

Lose the last 25 pounds. Starting now. (I took two weeks off...it was fun)

I know many of you will see your influences on my list and for that I thank you...you know who you are. :thumbsup:

Well, enuf time talking about it. Time to prioritize, chart and engage. I wasn't kidding when I said I want to get .25 gr per visit instead of per season...so like Brittney says..."You want Gold? Better Work B****!"

Well. This turned out longer than expected. Your turn. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't go and start thinking that you're a slow learner Jeff. Heck, you pretty much had the PLSS system down after a single (loooonnnggg) phone call. You just need to start using all the info that's available is all. Read it once, read it again and just for good measure read it one more time! Making it second nature comes with time.

One thing you need to learn is how to use LandMatters to your best advantage. Clay has supplied all of us with a fantastic resource and I'm pretty sure you haven't seen just how much you can actually do with it. Take the time to explore everything on there. Read the tutorials, learn how to read the Master Plat Maps and master the PLSS system. Use the computer to get your research organized.

Take time to set yourself up a mining file box with the local laws and regs so you can have them on hand if needed. A well informed and prepared miner can be a LEOs worst nightmare while being polite at the same time.

Remember you can call me anytime you need to. Just remember the time difference goes back into effect this Sunday. :thumbsup:

It sounds like you're going to be heading into the new season better equipped and with a real goal. Keep the fire burning man and don't let the turkeys get ya down!

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some great ideas and aspirations there. Becoming familiar enough with the mining laws in order to assert your rights is something we all can benefit from. Glad that's on your list.
I, too am in a holding pattern until I get the water to start mining again. It has been wet enough to make my desert claims too damp to dry-wash, but not wet enough to make my dredging claims workable. Tried some detecting lately to no avail. It's getting harder to go out and find a nugget with a detector anymore. Recently got all my performance of annual work paperwork completed. Also, completed a vibratory pan feeder for my clean-up sluice. Need to make a new classifier for my dredge and get my impact mill powered up and ready to mill 400 lbs of high-grade. 100 mesh gold equals a serious lesson in panning.
I'm not too interested in analysis, except for maybe sending in some material for assay. I've learned that once you have found your deposit to work, all you need to concentrate on is mining that deposit - all of it. As long as there is placer gold there... inside bends, outside bends, flow sand, hard pack, high benches, shallow bedrock, steep grade, drop-out zones… everything must go!
Then again, desert placers don't necessarily consolidate and behave like river placers, so gold can be where it "shouldn't" be.
Never stop learning. That's always beneficial, but I believe persistence leads to your best gold.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like GI has a new neighbor! Welcome and thanks for posting. Jeff and I have a geography difference of the greatest magnitude but we learn all kinds of stuff during our llllooonnnnnggg and frequent teleconferences.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with you guys waiting for water. Still dry as a bone on the claim. I have work to do along with the other members.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I can add/comment on is "Use magnets more during prospecting,sampling and clean ups." I wouldn't use a magnet during sampling. Some may disagree with this but that is the beauty of seeing who does what and why and see what works best for YOU. Here's why, when sampling I just want to see gold and get a good idea of how much is there and not worry about recovering every bit of gold. Screen everything to minus #8. Hand rake the plus stuff and dump off the tailings. Pan the minus #8 but again don't worry about getting every bit of gold and no other stuff. Once I get it all small enough to give a good swirl, about a Tablespoon or so and I know what's there. Any real nice pieces get picked out and the rest goes into a little 1 gallon or so bucket for a final cleanup later. My objectives is get as many good samples as I need to find good ground and then work good ground in production mode. I think too many folks spend too much time sampling and being to thorough that they take valuable time from production. Gold is a game of volume and you only have so much time .

As for me I plan on doing several miles of crab walking the bottom of the claims and taking good notes. Thinking of using a cheap paint ball gun to mark the really good spots as a witness mark and come back to take samples and further poking around

ratled

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are right ratled. Too much time in a spot and too much time panning. This year I had the unique opportunity to work with delnorter and see first hand his effectiveness in sampling technique. Then later DizzyDigger on how to properly and agressively use my Garrett pans. Once that all came together for me...it was like...wow. :love4: Watching that gold appear at the top of the pan...appearing one by one... nestled in that black sand...priceless! :icon_thumleft:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff it took me a couple of years to start finding good gold. Once I learned the river/ area I was working things started to click. Don't beat yourself up to bad on your season you found gold do the happy dance! I know guy's out here that didn't get that! Some day's experience is more valuable than education.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff some times you never know. May have been in a really good spot. And where just inches away from a great find. I believe thats what keep us coming back. For more. And there"s a lot of luck involved also.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff it took me a couple of years to start finding good gold. Once I learned the river/ area I was working things started to click. Don't beat yourself up to bad on your season you found gold do the happy dance! I know guy's out here that didn't get that! Some day's experience is more valuable than education.

Oh I'm happy...just wanna get obviously better at it and then...more happy. :hello2::occasion18::headbang:

And what are you guys in the true NE planning/strategies for 2016???

BTW I forgot to mention...learn more about underwater sniping using mask/snorkel. I may just have a buddy interested in the same technique... huh Mike?

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself got a couple of new secret spots already for next season. Then when it time it's dig, dig, dig, get the gold!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My winter season will focus on finishing a hot spot on the south end of Metro-Denver and using my Bazooka Sniper highbanker in a couple of key spots on the north side of town...I have high expectations for a productive winter!
Next spring I will be retired so it will be time to finish the claim related research and probably file a claim up in the mountains...in Summit County. I also plan to spend more time on a friend's claims dredging (didn't get to dredge at all this year due to work). I'll really get going on the book I want to write about gold in Colorado too! :-D

Last edited:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best of luck Kevin with your retirement. Sounds like your going to be busy. My goals for 2016. Get out prospecting twice as much as this year. I found a few good spots. Can"t wait to get back to check then out better. My panning has gotten better. Will help testing new ground. And looking forward to the C P A outings and meetings. Real good people. NH nugget don"t give up on that pay streak yet.Quite possibly that streak will be filled back in. And hopefully everyone will hit there new goals.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BTW I forgot to mention...learn more about underwater sniping using mask/snorkel.
I may just have a buddy interested in the same technique... huh Mike?

Strong currents, cold water and big assed rocks are not a good place for someone
who has trouble telling "up" from "down". :censored: 25-30 years ago I'd be all over
it...but The Dizz doesn't get in the water any more. :nono:

Great idea though, and I'd be glad to stay on the beach with a rope at-hand...ready
to drag your booty out, when needed.:laughing7:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
Very good list! Staying fit all winter spring summer fall, etc. helps to preserve what we have left in us and I am trying to do the same. Like you I am also trying to make some plans for the winter time, I hope they go well as it will make all the difference in the world to me.

Magnets - recently I had the opportunity to gut an old but reasonably good hard drive, if it weighs a lot I try to take it all the way down to just the main frame. The storage disc's make for really good signal mirrors as the hole in the center allows one to center the disc to the spot you hope sees your signal. Then sometimes they have some Amazing Magnets in them the likes of which I've never seen in a store. I recovered four of these very special magnets from this unit, two large and two small. They are very powerful with the larger ones being very difficult to remove from the refrigerator door face. I figure one of these will accompany me on my outings from now on.

That pick sounds interesting and I'd appreciate seeing a picture of it when you have it at home.

For me right now I just try and make it through each day = existing and I'm looking forward to better!

Enjoy all your very worthwhile list of things to do to make yourself better.................63bkpkr

PICT0181.JPG One never knows what they will find just under the water!

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard disk magnets work great, that's what I use :)

Two stuck together with a bolt for a handle. I drop the assembly in a yogurt cup (the oval Dannon ones work best) and wave it over my classified cons. When I remove the magnets from the cup, the cons drop right off ...easy!

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Two stuck together with a bolt for a handle. I drop the assembly in a yogurt cup (the oval Dannon ones work best) and wave it over my classified cons. When I remove the magnets from the cup, the cons drop right off ...easy!

I don't know why I hadn't thought of this. :thumbsup:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you triple your whole take in the next hole!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other

A 35MM film container works even better. Just drill a hole in the cap, run the bolt through it, put the nut on with a dab of loc-tite and then put the magnet(s) on the nut. Snap the cap back on and you're good to go. As an "Old School" photographer, I still use 35MM film all the time. If you're pure digital, go to the local CVS or Walgreens photo department and ask them if they have any empty ones from when people turn their pictures in for processing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions