Massive Tailings

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took a ride around Folsom today. Here is an example of the many tailings piles that were dredged from the American River 2015-11-09 12.41.29.jpg . Nice place to explore. You can also see hydraulic diggins along the North side of the river.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe they missed dredging under Mather AFB as the land was taken over by the government in 1918.

Yeah, but I don't think they will let you dredge under the airport today, either. :( Well, Kalifornia won't let you dredge anyway, but if you could, you would not be allowed. Catch-22.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No dredging but the "gravel companies" have worked right up to the fence....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have those kind of "gravel companies' here in CO too. (Evil grin)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot to mention, it is now $5 a week or $35 a year instead of $5 a year.

Wow, I see that now. That's a big change from just a couple years ago!
http://fairplayco.us/docsforms/2015_Gold_Panning_permit_application.pdf
Still a good deal and I wish more mountain towns (Breckenridge, Silverthorne, etc) would do this too instead of chasing us out of town. Gotta make it easy for the visitors to find a little wild gold :) This is something I'm going to work on once I'm retired!

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've flown over that dredge in the Yuba Gold Fields countless times, as Beale is my home field. Not much luck on the South Yuba beneath the Hwy 20 bridge, however.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Especially if your California contractors license number is 8......

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have those kind of "gravel companies' here in CO too. (Evil grin)

Yep, I think they are still the #1 producer of placer gold in Colorado. Someone, maybe it was you, Kevin, was telling me of a friend they knew that had gotten rights to work the cons from a local Denver gravel company. I cannot recall if they paid to put some gravity separator in the gravel company's wash plant or what, but that would be a nice concession to have.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, I see that now. That's a big change from just a couple years ago!
http://fairplayco.us/docsforms/2015_Gold_Panning_permit_application.pdf
Still a good deal and I wish more mountain towns (Breckenridge, Silverthorne, etc) would do this too instead of chasing us out of town. Gotta make it easy for the visitors to find a little wild gold :) This is something I'm going to work on once I'm retired!

Yes, and the rules are now much more stringent. No hand dredges no batteries/electric pumps; $2650 fine if you alter/damage infrastructure of the Fairplay "Beach" etc, etc.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Mather the tailings piles are on the North side of the Runway. Used to be many ponds and piles in the area. Tons of Ducks in those ponds.

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tailings provide excellent habitat for many creatures

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That dredge is currently running in Columbia from what some locals told me 3 years ago!

Sadly all those pretty rock piles are on private land so no-touch. :-(

Happily there's more piles just upstream on the other side of the highway that are owned by the town. $5/year permit from FairPlay town hall gives you full access (no gasoline engines there though).

I can remember driving through Fairplay, probably in the early 70's (?), and seeing what I thought to be a dredge floating in a pond, mostly masked from view by trees (cottonwoods?), off of Hwy 285. Memories fade but I remember it as being just N of town. Is that the one you are referring to? I have only traveled that route a few times since but I don't remember ever seeing it again.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, I think they are still the #1 producer of placer gold in Colorado. Someone, maybe it was you, Kevin, was telling me of a friend they knew that had gotten rights to work the cons from a local Denver gravel company. I cannot recall if they paid to put some gravity separator in the gravel company's wash plant or what, but that would be a nice concession to have.

Yes, I know a guy...he has about 30 employees and buys the heavies washed out of construction sand and such. Last I heard he had contracts with well over a dozen sand and gravel ops that are along the front range and in the mountains. He does all the finish processing at a facility in Commerce City (just north of Denver) and contracts out the smelting to a guy in Fort Collins. Colorado gold baby!!

I don't know him well, he's more the friend of a friend but we've spent the day together digging and such.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can remember driving through Fairplay, probably in the early 70's (?), and seeing what I thought to be a dredge floating in a pond, mostly masked from view by trees (cottonwoods?), off of Hwy 285. Memories fade but I remember it as being just N of town. Is that the one you are referring to? I have only traveled that route a few times since but I don't remember ever seeing it again.

Yes the Snowstorm Dredge is the one North of town. Technically it's now a wash plant since the bucket line is long gone. They most recently fed it with an excavator. It's still there but tough to see more than the top of the stacker where it sits today. They drained it's pond so it's now about 15' lower!They ran it briefly in the early 80's when gold prices spiked. Now those guys sell their heavies to the guy with the Commerce City operation and he takes it from there [emoji106][emoji2]

I got to tour the Snowstorm a couple few years ago. It's in a lot better shape than the mess Tony Beets rescued but no one wants to pay a million bucks for it so it sits. The town of FairPlay wants to adopt it as a tourist attraction but things move slowly up there...

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yes, KevinInColorado gave you some details. Here is a nice shot of the Snowstorm Dredge.
SnowstormDredge.JPG

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, I know a guy...he has about 30 employees and buys the heavies washed out of construction sand and such. Last I heard he had contracts with well over a dozen sand and gravel ops that are along the front range and in the mountains. He does all the finish processing at a facility in Commerce City (just north of Denver) and contracts out the smelting to a guy in Fort Collins. Colorado gold baby!!

I don't know him well, he's more the friend of a friend but we've spent the day together digging and such.

I thought I got the information from you. Thanks for confirming/correcting the story.

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody wonder why the gravel companies have locked down on all these tailings? I hear a rumor that the Chineese want to purchase all of the Yuba Gold Feild talings so that they can re-proccess many more pressious metals out of them than the Gold Rush folks cared about or knew about. There is so much more in CA tailings done to early... Last time I went up on HWY 20 to Parks bar I got followed out of the tailing mountains just after getting into them to take a peek... They watch them like there is Gold in them tailings or somthing! :laughing7:

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys, I know this is an older thread... But the tailing piles that are west of Marysville... The Hammonton/Marigold dredge fields, does anyone know anyone thats done detecting out there? Heard of anyone doing it? I've been back in there for a couple fires(its nice getting to see all sorts of different terrain XD) over a couple different years. Its always interesting to see all those dredge ponds and tailings. Makes for precarious footing and god awful mop-up of a veg fire. Always wanted to get out there and try. Its currently a recreation area, people drive their 4x4s, camp and all sorts of stuff back in there and pretty secluded so i dont see it being that big of a problem :o

Also... Same thing for the tailings near Snelling along the Merced river :P

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_06391.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread