Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Feel free to share on social media

Gold miners remove mercury, lead from California streams, rivers
(The following is a media release issued today by the AMERICAN MINING RIGHTS ASSOCIATION)
AMRA ...— American Mining Rights Association
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday Nov. 18, 2015
The American Mining Rights Association has recently launched an public awareness campaign to educate Californians about the facts and myths associated with mercury in California’s watershed.
“Our elected leaders in California are developing policy based on fallacy,” said AMRA President Shannon Poe. “They don’t have a good grasp on modern mining practices, and are making assumptions based on the myth that prospectors and small-scale miners are still dispersing mercury into our rivers and streams. Myths about mercury have been unscrupulously perpetuated by the environmental industry at the expense of California taxpayers.”
“While legacy mining operations at the turn of the century and earlier did use mercury, such is not the case today—an indisputable fact that both the state government and the environmental lobbyists have been far too slow to acknowledge,” Poe said. “In fact, modern-day gold miners do NOT use mercury but instead remove 98 percent of the mercury, and other toxic metals such as lead from old lead shot and fishing weights from our rivers and streams. Today’s suction dredge mining equipment is environmentally friendly and far less invasive than destructive methods used a century ago.”
“The government has also turned a blind eye to the fact that much of the mercury that exists in California rivers originates from the mineral cinnabar, which is where the old-timers obtained mercury in the first place,” Poe explained.
“Our state legislators don’t seem to be able to grasp the concept that much of California’s mercury was naturally formed and is contained in a mineral called cinnabar, which is prevalent in the state. When cinnabar breaks down through the natural process of erosion, it releases liquid mercury, or quick silver, into our rivers and streams,” Poe said. “It’s nature—not mining. Miners did not introduce mercury to the environment; the environment introduced miners to mercury. Cinnabar has always existed in nature.”
While the term “dredge” evokes images of huge, wooden crates, called bucket-line dredges, that scraped the bottoms of our river beds with large metal scoops or buckets, today’s dredges are much more environmentally friendly. In fact, they do not “dredge” at all even though they are still called a dredge. Small-scale suction dredges could more accurately be described as a portable underwater vacuum cleaner or “wet-vac,” used to suck heavy metals such as gold, mercury and lead from the bottoms of riverbeds, Poe said.
Meanwhile, many so-called environmental groups are bilking taxpayers. Groups such as the Sierra Fund and the Center for Biological Diversity have allegedly made millions of dollars by using the Equal Access to Justice Act and the Endangered Species Act to sue government agencies that are working in collusion with them, Poe said.
“The way this scam works is that the environmental groups target a species on the ever-growing Endangered Species List. Then, these groups collude with the federal or state agencies to shut down access to public lands or ban mining and other primary industries such as timber and agriculture. How this works is that the environmental groups get paid through the Equal Access to Justice Act to pay attorneys on their payroll for suing the government agencies for violating the Endangered Species Act or another type of environmental law,” Poe said.
Both the Sierra Fund and the Center for Biological Diversity are listed in sue-and-settle cases, or friendly lawsuits, documented in a 54-page report, “Sue and Settle, Regulating Behind Closed Doors,” published in 2013 by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Report. Sue-and-settle cases have also been under investigation in Washington. D.C.
“What makes matters worse is that the state of California has illegally placed a de facto ban on suction dredge mining when the California Superior Court has ruled that the state does not have the authority to override the federal Mining Law of 1872, when it comes to mining on public lands in the western United States,” Poe said.
“After years of legal wrangling, California Superior Court Judge Gilbert Ochoa ruled in January 2015 that the federal mining law trumps state law under the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution, and that California legislators have defied the supreme law of the land by imposing a ban on suction dredge mining. The federal Mining Law of 1872 states that miners have the right to prospect and mine for gold and other minerals on public lands owned not by the federal government as many mistakenly believe but by the people of the United States,” Poe said.
“Ironically, some environmental groups are now receiving millions of dollars in government grants to dredge for these same toxic metals—something that thousands of suction dredge miners were doing for free before California imposed an illegal ban on dredging. And, these so-called environmental groups are also getting paid by California taxpayers to mine gold, a byproduct of the mercury removal programs,” Poe said.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce “Sue and Settle, Regulating Behind Closed Doors” report: https://www.uschamber.com/…/fi…/SUEANDSETTLEREPORT-Final.pdf
For more information, please contact:
American Mining Rights Association is a national non-profit organization, locally based in California.
AMRA President Shannon Poe
Phone: (209) 878-3910 (office)
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: www.facebook.com/americanminingrights
American Mining Rights Association
PMB #607, 6386 Greeley Hill Rd
Coulterville, CA 95311

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to see how much lead and mercury miners removed, and where it was deposited included in the release.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very cool :thumbsup:, what would go along nicely with this is; a real live example showing what we are saying. A working model that shows ""x amount being introduced into the upstream side followed by "x" amount being extracted on the downstream. The Capital lawn would be a good unveiling location. Build it with clear see thru hoses, clear sluice bed, and no breaks in filming. Show the uninformed public that inside the pump and hoses is not a monster that chews up fish and spits out evil mercury. This model would be invaluable as a demonstration piece at the various public events, hearings etc. A Picture is worth a thousand words. It could be used to make a video that shows undeniable proof of what we are saying. If nothing else we have something tangible out there in social media land that can be readily referenced when needed. We don't have any visuals as it is, just words. Words that are consistently being twisted and spun in a manner that works more for their agenda.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why isn't all the gold covered with mercury? only a few areas are problem areas the lower Sacramento/American rivers,
waters flow through the Yolo bypass and down into the delta, in order for mercury to form methylmercury it needs to go into a swamp area.
Rivers like the Klamath river any mercury that was used by miners 150 years ago has long been flushed out to sea.
there are monitoring stations that the readings were accessible online now its hard or almost impossible to get those readings, WHY?
there was a problem with the waterboard flooding long dry areas to make "mitigation banks" around 2009-2010,
massive fish kills!, they didn't allow the wetland plants to fill in slowly, just flooded the long dry dirt and the bacteria that convert the mercury exploded.

Why shut down all rivers in the state, demand them to Prove Harm, Mercury readings since the moratorium have increased 300%
it's not suction dredges contributing to these increases, if suction dredging were allowed again
the cumulative affects would be proven to be a positive benefit to the environment.

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Poor water management kills fish. Dredges are extremely efficient at removing lead and mercury while promoting better fish habitat at the same time.

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That paragraph stating that most Mercury is in the rivers from natural processes is not even remotely close to correct. Breaking down cinnabar into a powder doesn't release elemental Mercury. In order to release Mercury from cinnabar you need to heat it. Finding liquid Mercury in nature is very very rare. It's really disappointing this error was allowed to be published in a piece like this where we are trying to win public opinion

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That paragraph stating that most Mercury is in the rivers from natural processes is not even remotely close to correct. Breaking down cinnabar into a powder doesn't release elemental Mercury. In order to release Mercury from cinnabar you need to heat it. Finding liquid Mercury in nature is very very rare. It's really disappointing this error was allowed to be published in a piece like this where we are trying to win public opinion

You mean heat like that is caused by things like volcanoes and geologic pressure which concentrated the gold deposits in CA in the first place? Naturally occurring Hg in CA is not as rare as you think.

How much Cinnabar do you think was roasted in Lake County this summer? While it was just one fire, and a good sized one to those that lived there, when compounded over geologic time that will add up.

ratled

Last edited:

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
Like I've said all along " It's one of the only mining methods that I'm aware of that benefits the environment"

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You mean heat like that is caused by things like volcanoes and geologic pressure which concentrated the gold deposits in CA in the first place? Naturally occurring Hg in CA is not as rare as you think. How much Cinnabar do you think was roasted in Lake County this summer? While it was just one fire, and a good sized one to those that lived there, when compounded over geologic time that will add up. ratled

Well I'm not sure you understand the reaction that takes place in order to free liquid Mercury from cinnabar. The key is O2. Sure there is a lot of heat with geologic pressure but in the subsurface you don't have the needed amount of free oxygen to drive the reaction of HgS to get Hg + SO2.

As for the wildfires lets just assume if and that's a reasonable if, it stays hot enough for a prolonged period of time (unlikely) how much cinnabar do you think is just lying on top of the ground? My guess would be incredibly small. Even if there was abundant cinnabar five feet from the surface it won't get anywhere near hot enough. Evidence for this are tree and plant roots that don't burn when a fire goes through.

So I stand by my point. If we are going to call them out on their poor science we can't afford to make errors like this that shows we are making the same errors.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm not sure you understand the reaction that takes place in order to free liquid Mercury from cinnabar. The key is O2. Sure there is a lot of heat with geologic pressure but in the subsurface you don't have the needed amount of free oxygen to drive the reaction of HgS to get Hg + SO2.

As for the wildfires lets just assume if and that's a reasonable if, it stays hot enough for a prolonged period of time (unlikely) how much cinnabar do you think is just lying on top of the ground? My guess would be incredibly small. Even if there was abundant cinnabar five feet from the surface it won't get anywhere near hot enough. Evidence for this are tree and plant roots that don't burn when a fire goes through.

So I stand by my point. If we are going to call them out on their poor science we can't afford to make errors like this that shows we are making the same errors.

I'm not saying that AMRA's statement is correct, but I am saying neither is your original statement that "Mercury in nature is very very rare." If we are going to call out one group for inaccuracies then we shouldn't do it ourselves when doing so.

Actually Cinnabar can easily be found on the surface in CA if you just look around. I would think that someone with your handle would be more familiar with this and not have to "guess"........ Many of the California tribes found it very readily long before the whites or even the Spanish came to the area. It was the Ohlone that showed a Spanish travel their red rocks which lead to one largest Hg producing mines ever. Really, the coastal hills are full of Cinnabar, just look at how many places have Cinnabar in their names all the way to OR.

ratled

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
many of books i read, would say miners would hit pockets of elemental mercury, showering on them
mercury exist naturally in the sierras, there is a list of a couple of mines located in a few of the county's in the Sierra Nevada range
so, long before the miner's of 49 introduced anything, mercury was in our waterways just from natural course of events

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not saying that AMRA's statement is correct, but I am saying neither is your original statement that "Mercury in nature is very very rare." If we are going to call out one group for inaccuracies then we shouldn't do it ourselves when doing so. Actually Cinnabar can easily be found on the surface in CA if you just look around. I would think that someone with your handle would be more familiar with this and not have to "guess"........ Many of the California tribes found it very readily long before the whites or even the Spanish came to the area. It was the Ohlone that showed a Spanish travel their red rocks which lead to one largest Hg producing mines ever. Really, the coastal hills are full of Cinnabar, just look at how many places have Cinnabar in their names all the way to OR. ratled

I said guess because I didn't want to throw out a percentage. The thing about scientists is that we don't have a solid figure we don't make one up. But using an educated approach to this it's clear Mercury is rare given that it makes up less than 0.1 ppm of the crust. Which makes it by definition extremely rare.

I know there are tons of cinnabar mine in the coastal hills especially down around San Jose. However it is not a mineral that is very common.

All that matters is that we maintain a clear message and don't give the other side a way to point the finger at us and say hey they aren't giving you real facts either. We can afford slip ups since we are battling uphill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread