All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The feds with all their wisdom have been forcing ranchers off their traditional graze lands. Been doing this nonsense for about 30 years. In Idaho and the N.W. in general ,the only thing accomplished was the largest continious fires in history. Destroying the nesting grounds [lecks] for the sage grouse. Where the ranchers have been allowed to graze ,remove fuel and tinder, the grouse are thriving. You can only wonder what ruination more federal meddling will result.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me thinks the influx of wild turkeys is why the sage grouse and pheasant populations have dropped. They walk all day scratching up bugs I bet they wreck the nests and eat the eggs.

OP
OP
winners58

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all of the RMP's Mining was not addressed very well and you have to dig deep in the RMP and EIS's of each state
just to find the numbers of existing mining claims. someone pointed out in some of the documentation they changed
the wording from "valid existing rights" to "Documented valid existing rights"
what does that mean? you wont be given a chance to prove your claim through the validation process?

The Sage Grouse Switcheroo - WSJ

WSJ reprint;
The Interior Department decided last week not to classify the greater sage grouse as an endangered species, ending five years of deliberation. Some are hailing this as thought-to-be-extinct government restraint, but it’s really political cover for other plans that will do as much or more economic harm.

The Obama Administration pondered listing sage grouses, which strut around 165 million acres in 11 western states, as protected under the Endangered Species Act, a distinction that severely limits human presence anywhere the fowl might turn up. Environmental groups grouse that the population is dwindling, but this is in dispute: The number of mating males has increased 63% since 2013, according to an August report from the Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies.

Interior Secretary Sally Jewell cited “unprecedented effort by dozens of partners” as reason not to list the opulent looking avians, and many green outfits chirped in support. It’s a happy time in history to be a sage grouse: All 11 states have mapped conservation plans, with some 60 local working groups pitching in. The Agriculture Department works with landowners on cutting down trees to help the birds spot hungry coyotes, among other efforts. Industry has poured in millions to keep the bird roaming free.

We’ve long supported such partnerships over a punitive species list that rehabilitates fewer than 5% of member critters, but we don’t recall the greens deferring to states and business during the 1990s spotted owl saga, or ever. The reason for the fauna federalism is that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has rolled out 15 land-use plans that would wall off about 60 million acres of federal land as a sage-grouse spa.

More than half of the bird’s turf is on federal land, which is leased for everything from grazing to mining. The plan’s rules would drag out the permitting process for oil and gas development, and block new leases on 10 million acres across five states. The Western Energy Alliance says BLM’s proposal will cost $5.6 billion in lost economic activity and 31,000 jobs, more than the group predicted an endangered species listing would burn up, as the BLM route features buffer zones around mating areas and stringent “disturbance caps.”

And since no plan is complete without raw political favoritism, BLM plans to excuse from restrictions two transmission lines that span several states and are designed to haul wind energy, deemed “priority projects” by an Administration hooked on renewable power, as the Reason Foundation’s Brian Seasholes has pointed out. Great news for ravens who hang out on power lines looking for a snack.

House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Rob Bishop called Interior’s decision a “de facto listing,” and he’s right. Interior’s ploy allows the feds to accomplish what they always wanted while appearing judicious. But with oil and gas development so important to a weak economy, soon we’ll need a job conservation plan for humans.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guv's simple and basic plan is to take as much land as possible away from the people and into their control. Then herd the sheeple into their new housing projects over on Auschwitz Lane. They have a new meaning for the word Hot Tub for us all...

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me want to go and kill some sage grouse..

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I won't even get started because it would surely get me banned.............

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, I don't even know what to say, just... wow. Every week the feds reach new lows. Like johnedoe above me, that's all I'd better comment for now...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On September 22, 2015, the USFWS announced that a status review found that Greater sage-grouse remain relatively abundant and well-distributed across the species’ 173-million acre range and does not face the risk of extinction. The Service determined that protection for Greater sage-grouse under the Endangered Species Act is no longer warranted and is withdrawing the species from the candidate species list.
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tastes like chicken? Was out west once, didn't see one of them.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a renewable resource to me. The grouse.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a renewable resource to me. The grouse.

They're actually a little tough for eating, I've had them cooked a number of different ways over the years and personally I'd rather have yellow frog legs cooked rare :evil6:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Butter fly the breast, season to taste with Garlic salt, Onion powder, Paprika and Pepper, fry on medium heat in butter and a slice of bacon- HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Good!

*Recipe works equally as well for spotted owl, and certain frog legs

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple of years ago I had a friend detect a 9.6 gram nugget on Weaver mountain. Nice nugget. By the time the word of his find made it's way across Rich Hill to Stanton camp (about a mile and a half) that nice nugget weighed nearly 3 ounces and my friend hadn't even left his house.

That 9 million acre Sagely withdrawal is unlikely to make it the full mile and a half. This was the same nonsense the EPA pulled with the CWA changes they made earlier this year that were shot down rather quickly by the courts. None of the States are happy with the Department of Interior throwing 5 years of "coordination" out the door two days after the Sage Goose was declared in no danger of extinction or even in danger of experiencing a few moments of discomfort. The Sage Juice in fact had increased in population over those five years and now outnumbers high school graduates in Washington D.C.

Now every Governor in the western states is calling for the head of the DOI, Secretary Sally, to be mounted on a pike at the foot of the Rocky Mountains to warn off any other Washington D.C. public servants who get drunk and wander across the Potomac too far.

In point of fact this withdrawal is unlikely to make it to next spring. This temporary withdrawal will automatically expire in two years unless Congress is stupid enough to try to extend it in an election year. Those guys and gals in Congress aren't the brightest but they are marginally smart enough to know when their Sage Goose is cooked. I suspect those pissed off Governors will get satisfaction from the courts long before then. Secretary Sally will look nice on somebody's mantle despite the missing head. And all will be well with the world until the next 9.6 gram nugget is found.

In the meantime three folks are working hard in Arizona with no encouragement or attention from anyone to open another 9 million acres to mineral entry next week. Of course those 9 million acres are just here in little ol' Arizona where we were already smart enough to hunt down all the various Sage silliness and eat them before Secretary Sally decided to commit political suicide.

I'll let you know how it goes next week, if I remember. In the meantime enjoy your anger over those 190 billion acres of Sage Poop. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Me thinks the influx of wild turkeys is why the sage grouse and pheasant populations have dropped. They walk all day scratching up bugs I bet they wreck the nests and eat the eggs.

Have plenty of turkey on my land. They are all vegetarians the last time I tasted one. Don't take bets on ruining the nests of other species, turkeys eat and reproduce, nothing else.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
This got me thinking of how great Sage Grouse would taste over a wood campfire with Butter and garlic basted on it after a great day dredgeing! and maybe a few cold drinks to end a great day! WELL I can dream cant I !!!:)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have plenty of turkey on my land. They are all vegetarians the last time I tasted one. Don't take bets on ruining the nests of other species, turkeys eat and reproduce, nothing else.

Turkey are omnivorous. They eat bugs...and eggs. You can keep them with chickens but, you have to keep them away from the hens boxes. Turkey comes along finds egg on ground....one less egg. it does happen.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They're actually a little tough for eating, I've had them cooked a number of different ways over the years and personally I'd rather have yellow frog legs cooked rare :evil6:

Maybe next time you should try my recipe for carp....Butter and season a cedar board, plop the carp (bird?) on and bake at 350 for an hour, toss the carp (bird) and eat the board.:thumbsup::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions