Anybody buying gold now?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
There are sellers on sites like eBay selling at 30%, or more above spot, and they are getting it.

Ebay is probably one of the better outlets to maximize your profit.
I have a friend that went into the mining areas and bought raw gold from the miners in the area at a fair price and resold it for nice profit that way.
We have talked about doing that again this summer.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you think thats good.... Check out eBay for sellers of black sands.....:laughing7:

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought some gold, my intention is to hold on to it forever (or until economy crashes) it really is not a very good investment, more of a hedge against our devaluation of the dollar, if the economy somehow survives this insane reckless printing of money and manipulation of the markets, I'll pass on the AU to my Girls.
I do have a question though, How does one go about selling a specimen ? I have approx a 10lb chunk of quartz with a visible nugget? 1/8" attached to it, along with some visible spots on the underside. Using an Ohm Meter I'm able to detect a circuit in 3-4 locations on the quartz using the nugget? as the anchor..is it worth just gold value or ??
Thanks in advance for your help,advise,input

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh man! Those videos are priceless. Especially, the comments that a one ounce Canadian gold coin is worthless. However, I could only watch the first two. The stupidity was painful.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy low.

The problem with amateurs buying commodities, like gold, is they tend to buy when the price is up and excitement is high then sell when the market is falling or stagnant and full of doom and gloom. That is exactly what you don't want to do - Buy High Sell Low.

If you can resist that very human impulse you will buy when there is blood in the streets (horrible market conditions - like now) and sell when the hype of big profits in a rising market are being shouted out everywhere.

Part of being an amateur investor is believing there is a bottom or a top to any given market. The exact points those bottoms and tops might occur become the focus point for amateurs. To the point they become hypnotized and are afraid to make a move either way. No person can predict the exact top or bottom consistently. The key is to:

Buy Low Sell High.

Forget the bottom or the top and realize that right now the price of gold is very low.

BUY

When the price becomes unimaginably high should you sell? The thing with gold as a commodity is, unlike wheat or pork bellies, it doesn't shrink, burn or rot. The gold you buy today will be exactly the same when your great grandchildren hold it. Unlike a 401k, stocks or a bundle of paper dollars gold will still have value in the future.

This brings me to my theory of gold for the common man. If you can afford to buy gold you can afford to keep it for a rainy day - no matter what the market prices are. Unlike modern fiat money, gold will be there in generations to come, steady, compact, beautiful, divisible, portable, rare and valuable. The ultimate form of savings.

On the other hand if you are considering gold as an investment to make a profit - I'm not a prophet and neither are those folks who try to convince you gold is going up in value. Buy some pork bellies, everybody likes bacon and we all have to eat.

And there you have the market according to Barry. With that and $1.25 you can get a cup of cheap lukewarm coffee. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

I don't have anything to say, I just wanted to repost this. :occasion14:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,

Good post....trying to time the top or bottom is a mugs game....be it gold, stocks, house prices, etc...

Regards + HH

Bill

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I predict the price drops even further (in US dollar terms) as this month unfolds. Why?
1. US Federal Reserve Bank raises rates this week
2. This causes more foreign investors to buy US dollar denominated bonds
3. This demand for dollars drives up the dollar vs. other currencies AND vs. gold.
...so gold looks cheaper to those in the US even though it's just as expensive as before to everyone else.

Longer term I do expect it to go up as Chinese and Indian consumption/jewelry/hoarding continues to accelerate.

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought some gold, my intention is to hold on to it forever (or until economy crashes) it really is not a very good investment, more of a hedge against our devaluation of the dollar, if the economy somehow survives this insane reckless printing of money and manipulation of the markets, I'll pass on the AU to my Girls.
I do have a question though, How does one go about selling a specimen ? I have approx a 10lb chunk of quartz with a visible nugget? 1/8" attached to it, along with some visible spots on the underside. Using an Ohm Meter I'm able to detect a circuit in 3-4 locations on the quartz using the nugget? as the anchor..is it worth just gold value or ??
Thanks in advance for your help,advise,input
Specimen gold is usually worth at least 20% over spot price. I would keep it as a family heirloom to pass down to the kids. Keep it someplace safe (in the gun safe) and every so often take it out and admire it while having a cold beer or sipping a shot.... only sell in the most dire financial emergencies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread