Getting permission

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this story on pys.org -

The US Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act of 2015 says that any materials American individuals or companies find on an asteroid or the moon is theirs to keep and do with as they please.

While the Space Act breaks with the concept that space should be shared by everyone on Earth for scientific research and exploration, it establishes the rights of investors to profit from their efforts, at least under US law.
Christopher Johnson, a lawyer at the Secure World Foundation, which focuses on the long-term sustainable use of outer space, said the law sets the basis for the next century of activity in space.

"Now it is permissible to interact with space. Exploring and using space's resources has begun" he said.
New US space mining law to spark interplanetary gold rush

This ain't right in my opinion. There didn't seem to be any laws prohibiting resources found in space before, but now that we have "permission" will the government regulate the specifics?

Of course they will.

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Most likely they'll let you spend billions of dollars to launch and get there and then charge you outrageous taxes (kind of like the BLM on steroids) to mine in space. It does make me wonder just how they're going to handle bringing back materials to earth. Remember the moon samples and how they treated them?

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining in space? The turbidity alone would destroy our plane of existence. It'll muddy up all the water. You think they regulate mining now on a planet that's 2/3rd's water what do you think they'll do in space where the BLM can't hear your dredge running to find you???!!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhhh Running a sluice with liquid methane? Remember... In space..... No one can hear you dredge! (apologies to the writers of Alien 1 to what ever number they ended up at)

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here the link to the law. It's ALL regulation, either that or a "protection" racket.

http:// https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2262/text

Forget them. If I can make it to the moon I might as well stay there. :laughing7:

Nobody brought anything back yet and already they want to eat your lunch. Just a bunch of new jobs for regulators who don't do anything profitable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread