Harbor Freight 6.5hp Engine unboxing, 1st start and 1st oil change using Lucas ZDDP

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya everyone!

I got a nice window of good internet last night and uploaded the last video in my Harbor Freight Predator Engine 3 part series.

For anyone wondering about Predator engines as a start for a dredge or highbanker or as a replacement engine, I don't think that you can go wrong with one of these engines.

Be sure to follow the break in steps to the T and use an engine break additive like Lucas and you will have an engine that will be as dependable as Briggs or Honda.

I plan on trying out the Predator 3hp engine and 13hp engine later this year as well.

I hope this helps with your choice on buying your next engine.

Unboxing.

First Start

1st Oil change with Lucas Engine Break in additive.

Upvote 0

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proper maintenance is the key and it will serve you well.:occasion14:
Marvin

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exactly!

If you don't take care of what you have chances are that it wont last long.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have been running a Harbor Freight 6.5hp now for close to 250 hours without any problems. I use regular motor oil, but drain it out when the color starts to change or about 35-40 hours of use. When it was out of the box, I ran it for eight hours or so, then drained out the oil and replaced. I suggest using the engine for at least 20 - 30 hours or so to see if it fails or not. These engines have an iffy record of MTBF(Mean Time Between Failure) when new. But oil changes are fast and cheap, compared to the cost new engine.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have ran it for about another 5 hours or so since the last video.
I had added the T80 to the plate and ran them together to make sure that there wasn't any problems.

I did have one problem but it was with the T80.
The T80 never had a shaft key so I always ran it without, well the set screw wiggled loose and the pulley jammed right up against the engine plate and ALMOST the T80 itself.

To remove the pulley I had to cut it off.

A new pulley with key and several hours later it is still working perfectly.

As for the engine, it is still running like a gem. :)

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All they are is a Honda knock off. I have a HBF 2'' pump on my dredge thing runs like a charm! and if the pump takes a c#$p a Keene pump with a key-way will bolt right on!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I just got a 2 cycle pump for a Keene dredge and im wanting to look for a small 4 stroke engine that will accept its pump. 2 cycles are way to noisey!

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it is the little 60gpm or 90gpm Keene then the 3hp will be more than enough and not too loud at all.
The lower the horsepower the higher the RPM though.

I have (HAD until a FRIEND stole it) a Honda 1hp (1.3hp) and it had to scream up to about 7000rpms to make that power because it was so tiny.
It was from a WX pump and the pump went bad.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a 2 cycle pump for a Keene dredge and im wanting to look for a small 4 stroke engine that will accept its pump. 2 cycles are way to noisey!

Russ, and anyone else, be sure to google Harbor Freight 20% off coupon and you will get 20% off ANY one item. I have the 3hp that was on multiple sales and I was still able to use the (think my best Ron White voice) "coupin". Got it for $79! Even if it last a season or two I'm good

The current code is 45857032 but I'm not to sure how long it will last. If it's dead when you try then just goggle it again.

Neo.... you got get some better friends.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
My engine/pump is for Keenes small 2 inch dredge with inflatable pontoons. Im sure it has a tapered shaft to mate the pump. But thanks for the heads up and ill look online to see what they have!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pretty sure that Harbor Freights engines are all CARB rated for Calif. Would only make sense because they're based in Carpenteria, CA (Just south of Santa Barbara for those of you that are not up on your Calif geography)

Harbor Freight started out with a lot of crappy stuff but have really been working hard to improve their line of products over the last few years. This effort on their part is great for us on a tight budget and they've shown tons of improvement. I just wish they'd open up a store in this area. I'm tired of having to go all the way to Henderson, NV or Lake Havasu every time I need something from them. Either one is over an hour away from me (one way). :clock: I could use the time to be mining instead of driving!!!!

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, you can only get the CARB version of the engines in Cali, mine is a lean burn Cali model.

You can however re-jet them and squeeze a little more power out of these big valve engines.

One engine that HF offers in all other states is the Hemi Head engine that is actually under rated down to 6.5hp (LOL 426 was under rated too. :D )
You cant have them shipped into our state from HF and from what I hear HF stores within something like 50 miles of the Cali border will not carry them either.
You can however drive a little further out (Call ahead and reserve the engine) and pick one up or have a friend out of state grab one for you.

Now the only real reason to choose the Hemi head over the current CARB legal head (Both have same size valves) is that you have more power if you remove the plastic governor inside the case. of course the CARB version will also benefit from this too (With proper mods on both).

But if you aren't into Karting, mini bikes or trying to put a huge pump on a small engine, then the regular CARB engine is just fine. :)

PS. The CARB version also has a plastic governor inside the case that can be removed, BUT if you are going to spin higher RPM's for more power then you really need a billet flywheel, 4340 steel rod, forged piston and new valve springs and then you will also need an aftermarket filter adapter, exhaust and rejet the carb for the increased air and fuel demand.

Yup, these lil engines can be a blast to play with. :D

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest problem with the HF engines is the quality control in both manufacture and assembly. You may get a good one and have a GREAT engine dirt cheap. Or it could crap out on you in a year.

I agree the price sure is nice, and if I had to replace one of my Hondas I might give one a try, I could buy 5 of those for the price of a new Honda!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee Neo , don't give me any idea's on those HF engines! I can see it now I'll have a hotrod dredge! lol!

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL I have already thought about it. :D

The only thing is though that with the increased power is increased sound and it is hard to muffle them without reducing horsepower.
With these you have to muffle the intake and the exhaust as the resonance also comes through the intake.

If you don't care about the sound then I don't see why a hopped up 212cc couldn't handle a 4x3 pump. :D
I would think that you would have to use a stand alone and run a pulley to reduce the pump rpm, but still it would probably work out fine.
The weight savings there is pretty stellar but the cost is quite a bit more than finding a used GX390 to power that pump.

If you start reading around the Kart Racing forums you will find tons of great info and a few sites that make aftermarket parts for them.

Being pretty much Honda clones the parts can work on both brands.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neo, how far down the souped up motor rabbit hole are you? Are you doing the walnut husk treatment etc?

ratled

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL

Just like any other engine, you can dump a ton of money into them. :)

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Living off the power grid we really rely on a generator. Over a year ago I was pricing 4000w gens. and just couldn't pony up the cost of a Honda....got the 4000 Predator from Harbor Freight with the (I think $30.00) extended one year warranty for like $400 plus out the door. After six months it stopped generating power. Put it in the trailer, drove to Medford and no questions asked....put a new one in the trailer and drove home. No engine issues except that (epa?) the exhaust tube from the valve cover is piped into the air filter assembly so quickly re-directed the hose to expell that oil into a plastic dish soap container clipped to the side of the frame. The one thing you might like to know is that we had to pay for an additional one year warranty but knowing that we are GOOD TO GO for 15 months makes for a warm comfy feeling. This unit is hands down, no doubt about it, better/quieter/easier starting (first pull every time) than that on sale piece of krap Briggs and Stratton from Home depot that had more shop time on it than power making time. I have not located a source for the Predator with a 5/8th threaded shaft but will keep searching just in case one of the twin Hondas on my 5inch takes a dump.

PS: Will trade 6000w Briggs and Stratton generator for a good dog in the Grants Pass area.......

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
youll need to remove the crankshaft and have it turned to the same specs as the Briggs shaft for your impeller! Ive looked for a tapered shaft 3 HP engine on their site and cant find one. Im going to look at my pump and see if I can have my impeller mounting hole modified to the 5/8 inch keyed shaft instead of turning the shaft in case the engine dosent last.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread