Mining the west - Claim holders plus - outdated though.

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Why oh why would you use something that you know is outdated? The Land Matters site will give you claims info, is updated every two weeks and is free. If you haven't been there just follow the link in my signature below and have a look around. Once you see how complete it is and just how much information is there I'm sure you'll be bookmarking it if not making it your homepage.

OP
OP
J

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me natural resources are of a limited nature, acreage should be limited to individuals or corporations.

I think this statement says a lot:

The hardrock mining industry owns gold, silver, and other precious metals and minerals beneath an estimated 2,508,276 acres of U.S. public land in Nevada, resources worth millions of dollars a year, acquired for as little as $0.84 per acre and held in perpetuity for a yearly rental fee as low as $0.62 an acre. Under a 132-year-old law originally intended to spur development of the West, an industry dominated by a handful of multinational corporations pays no federal royalties, and leaves behind a landscape of dramatically diminished value, scarred with tunnels, pits, and toxic waste piles.

Not my statement, but i agree with it completely. johnnysau

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:laughing7:

You really should educate yourself.
The vast majority of claims in Nevada are Lode claims, especially those held by large mining corps.
A lode claim is 20.66 acres, annual fees are $155 per claim = $7.50 per acre. A far cry from your $0.62

The rest is complete drivel and not worth addressing.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow really...they follow the same law that allows you to dig.......is this a jealousy issue?

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it's more of a frustration thing. I've had the same feelings on occasion.

There are huge tracts of land that have been claimed for decades and the claim holder does nothing with it.
While us little guys are looking for scraps to get a small time operation going.

In the end, you eventually come to the realization, that it is the very laws that allow such things to occur, that make it possible for the little guy with a pan and a shovel,
to prospect the open lands and stake a claim of his own.
It's a double edged sword, if there ever was one.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Who Owns..." Is an environmentalist site. The Diggings is cool though.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's more of a frustration thing. I've had the same feelings on occasion.

There are huge tracts of land that have been claimed for decades and the claim holder does nothing with it.
While us little guys are looking for scraps to get a small time operation going.

In the end, you eventually come to the realization, that it is the very laws that allow such things to occur, that make it possible for the little guy with a pan and a shovel,
to prospect the open lands and stake a claim of his own.
It's a double edged sword, if there ever was one.

Look man the sooner you realize that your cost to dig as an individual is so much less than one of the big dudes...you will be able to focus on the practically endless acres you have access to, with way less long term commitment than said big fellas. Then with persistence and research you will reap the benefit of mobility and the ability to walk away cheaply.

A couple points to make.....Nevada if only I had the time and at least one partner with the time and ability to spend a week at a time way out there man I would have a blast.....

Nevada.... if you know the right people...you will have permission to poke around on the surface of some sub surface estate with the understanding that you will keep what you find as long as you share the what's and the where's!!!!

Some wonder why some of these claims have been filed on for one hundred plus years.....some know why these claims have been recorded that long.......Funny to read how the landscape has been changed and in a negative light........The parts of Nevada that I have been in haven't seen measurable change in the last 10,000 years at least...A couple counties have gained a mercury vapor , halogen and homo sapien patina. However in the whole scheme of things I think it should be defined as "negligible"

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The profits these companys / investers receive keep our Country GREAT! without them we would end up like Mexico or worse! if it isn't grown , it must be mined comes to mind!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There is nothing at all difficult about gaining permission from a current claim holder to run detectors or drywashers. The process is similar to gaining permission to do the same on private land.

1) Determine the land status. How this is done has been discussed numerous times before on TreasureNet. I will not go over it again.

2) Contact claim owner or their representative.

3) Present your idea or plan.

4) Be prepared for any answer. Especially "NO!".

The process is not that hard. I used to average one "yes" for every fifty or so "no", so it is not an insurmountable obstacle. Frustrating at times, but also rewarding when things do work out. Until my health took a downturn, I would have several dozen inquiries out at any one time. It is time consuming, but all preparation is, if it is done right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions