RobertE

Greenie
Dec 18, 2015
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, iv been looking around this site for a while now. There is so much great information, and everybody seems like great people.

Im planning on going prospecting with my girlfriend for probably 2 days for fun, basically just to get outdoors and enjoy nature (finding gold would make it more fun)
I live in NorCal (livermore) and havnt decided on where to go yet, i was thinking the yuba river or around there, in national forest land.
I have a couple of pans, a small bazooka sluice(mini)
Rock hammer, snuffer bottle, Shovel.
Plus ill bring food, water, warmclothes, the basics for hiking.

I was hopeing I could get some advice on what else I might need, or should bring, and If possible where to go, she was interested in sniping, or crevacing.

Also,also... is this time of the year bad? We were hopeing to go around the first half of january.

Thank you guys so much for any info.
-Robert

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the asylum Robert!

Before you go and start digging, do your research! Make sure that the area you want to go into is not claimed. You can do that by going to My Land Matters.org (link in my signature) and looking up claim locations as well as land management. Stay off of private property unless you have the permission of the owner. You've got a little time before your planned tip so spend that time wisely and do your homework. It could keep you out of jail or from getting shot.

As far as the area goes I can't make any suggestions but I'm sure that others here will chime in shortly. And you're right, there's a lot of good folks on here!

OP
OP
R

RobertE

Greenie
Dec 18, 2015
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I will keep that bookmarked!

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,
Yuba a river has lots of claims. The best bet is to go to the n. Fork American river south of colfax .Check out up river from the ponderosa bridge on ponderosa rd. From the bridge go up the road south side, park about a 1/4 mile up the road. A small walk only dirt road goes down to the river. Take the path going up the river a little after passing by a old car on the right.

Have fun.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as time of year for norcal. Yes, not optimal especially for a beginner. But I would just jump in. You'll either love it or hate it. Very cold conditions right now but water levels are still low

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These guys will treat you right. Good luck.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad timing, waters high and cold. Snow up the wazoo and ez to slip into the water. Temps freezing and lots of rain , thank god. Wait a bit for things to even out and waters recede for safety. There are a couple of clubs near you and education from them would be a GREAT assist to getting you down the road with much less hastle. Auburn Rec Area and SF Yuba BLM rec area are just 2 of many options of free safe places to go. Lotza luck-John

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
Infotraker I second that spot on the american, It is easy to get to and there seam to be alot of fine gold. That is the same spot were Ricky ranger told me that there was no gold left there because the old timers got it all, and I should go some other place,

T

Tuolumne

California Gold Panning Lessons - Gold Panning Home

Directly east of Livermore is easy acess to the gold and you won't drive as far or long.
Above is a link to Miner Gary and his private property on woods creek. He will rent you a high banker but I suggest just joining his club for 100$ and you get access for a year and you can bring in your own equipment and have at it. It's below the snow line and there is gold everywhere in the creek and up on the dry benches. For a newbie he can help you in all aspects of prospecting. I've got my own claim nearby but am in his club because I find some nice gold every time On his property.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't agree with you guys on Ponderosa right now unless you have a 4wd. The road is steep and slippery and it's raining hard up here and that road can turn to snot really fast. If you have 4wd then it's ok but I would stick to the pavement like Iowa hill bridge. For many of the other places on the American like Driver's Flat, they are gated off this time of year. There's always the Bear river campground until the dam goes in :)

OP
OP
R

RobertE

Greenie
Dec 18, 2015
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again guys, I will most likely be joining some club for sure,after christmas, and really appreciate the advice all around.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Join that club now and have fun at the Christmass party and meet / make friends for the comeing year! OR have your own Christmass party and invite all of us! Ill bring the party hats and my "noise maker"!

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't head down any road to any river around here that you haven't been too before this time of year. It is cold and slick down by the water. I would take the above advice and try to find a club claim or something you know for sure isn't claimed. I can take you out to a few spots near Coloma but, I would have to know you understood how cold and uncomfortable it could be.

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you learn to mine in the cold wet blustery miserable weather of Winter the rest of the year is a breeze. Stay Safe and take Goldwasher up on his offer so you can learn with someone experienced. He knows what he is doing.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Your not far from Knights Ferry Recreation Area, Oakdale, CA.
It's hands and pans only and it's open --- there's gold there.
Mike

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you learn to mine in the cold wet blustery miserable weather of Winter the rest of the year is a breeze. Stay Safe and take Goldwasher up on his offer so you can learn with someone experienced. He knows what he is doing.

I second that!

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you wanted to head to the Yuba, there's an open area in a lower elevation near Marysville, called Parks' Bar.
there is a road on the east side of the bridge (Timbuctoo Rd.) over SR20, will take you down to the river. some private land upstream from the bridge and across where the gravel pit is (that should be obvious enough to stay away from).
very fine gold, an occasional flake might pop up for you, some places have decent concentrations, a lot of black sand.
try higher up, most people don't want to walk too far to pan in the river and the river likely will be higher now that the rains have begun in earnest.
as far as gear, learn to pan before you start with you using your sluice. you didn't mention having a classifier. I would highly recommend 1/4" steel mesh not plastic, a 12" one that fits a five gallon bucket and over your pan.
if conditions are wet, classify your gravel in water, don't try to dry shake it, you'll lose too much gold.
a small spade shovel will likely be the only hand digging tool you'll need...can't say there's too much exposed bedrock available to crevice there, from my recollection..

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RobertE

Greenie
Dec 18, 2015
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody!
I have alot to research.
After christmas i will be trying to get out and pan before school starts again, Late january. I dont mind cold and uncomfortable,im a younger guy, i plan to eventually camp for a couple days at a time to see what i can get. But for this first excursion with my girlfriend i want it to be easy and fun, hopefully we will find a bit of gold...
On another note, she said she would rayher try to find gems, is that a completely different ballgame?

Also i bought the book "fists of gold" im waoting for it now.thanks again everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread