63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this morning I see the NFAR is close to 3500 cfs in about a 24 hour period from 200 cfs. With that much rain Hoser should be able to dredge his front yard, ifn it ain't agin the law. That is a lot of water in a short period of time and it will cause things to happen. I would love to see a picture or 30 or 40 or so of various water flows in NorCal................63bkpkr

191_9107.JPG This is the pool at Mumford Bar just before it drops into the gorge that goes down to Italian Bar Trail, I mean FYI.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually cleaned out the ditch behind my house a few days back. 5" of rain in 3 days but still not even 45% of a normal year at this time. Snow at the house Thursday they say, just half a mile away the other day. Kinda cold for sure to be dredging now but a few years back NBD. Take care Herb in Tejas as the roads do lead north for a dip into your former life. Merry Christmas ol'friend:occasion14: John

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Waiting for a 15k CFS flush on the NF. Will post some pics if the water is still high this weekend.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done Jeff and thank you! Once upon a time not so long ago the NFAR peaked at 30,000 cfs though 15,000 cfs would also make a difference in the appearance of mountain sides and river beds. It all involves timing, how much snow falls and how quickly it melts. Slow melt and SacTown will still be standing, fast melt and a lot of things down stream could get washed away and I do not like the thought of that as a lot of people would be hurt.

Goldenmojo, any and all pictures would be appreciated - Jeffs video is just on the side of spectacular especially as the water nearly came over a couple of those bridges!

OK John, I will not ask for an elaboration on just how you cleaned out the ditch!

Yes a return to a different way of life would be appreciated.

Bostonia and Julian gotta be close to one another!

Wishing one and all a truly wonderful Christmas and a superb New Year!..................63bkpkr

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Herb! Bostonia and Julian are about 40 miles apart if you're thinking the same ones I know. Bostonia is an area between Santee and El Cajon in San Diego area and Julian is up in the mountains. I used to live right in the middle in Ramona.

S

stefen

Why settle for pics when you can have a video! Here ya go Herb, from my neck of the woods, before and after shots even.

"The true Northern California"...love it and the video...

The Eel River dropped 5+' feet 24 hours after our last rain...expecting about 9" of rain in the next several days...

Stay dry...

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! No shortage of water there. Why they don't just pipe the water down here is beyond me..I guess then they couldn't profit from the drought..

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Herb. The planets aligned cuz somehow I got a video just last week with my Canon P&S that turned out pretty good! AND, it only took 4 hours to upload a 2 minute video to YouTube thanx to my cra**y ISP. See if you can find the drop zones! Click on You Tube to get full screen...Volume up! Enjoy :occasion14:

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got 4.5 inches yesterday afternoon through the morning. We don't normally get that much that quick. Creek at the park is flooding the horseshoe pits, culvert at my driveway went from 0 to full quick. Lots of lake size puddles. Went over the south fork she was rushin' and a lovely King Fire run off brown!!! Won't be on the claim until after Christmas weekend. Nice to know its finally sluicing season!!!

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, amazingly thrilling video and I played "Lanny" as I watched the water for eddy currents, back flows, boils and I also noticed at one point you going up a wall with the camera and I said "YES YES Jeff I see what you see! I was amazed to see how clean the water was! To me that indicates that not too much dirt is moving and I found that a bit puzzling, like the grounds capacity to absorb the water has not been reached yet, maybe?

MY first hike into the NFAR in NorCal was February 1963, I had snow flurries at my 1949 Willys 4 x 4 pickup and soon after starting down the mountain into Green Valley it was raining. The river was roaring, similar to your video, it was wall to wall and high (though I did not know that then), huge pine trees were going swiftly down stream, boulders were bouncing on the bottom of the river (again aka Lanny inputs with cracks being beaten shut) and the color of the water was milk chocolate brown! I still have that picture of the river burned into my memory as it was that picture of the river, the forest, the mountains and all the dynamic sound that hooked me into exploring that location for 50 years. What an awesome time I've had and will have as I get back into the mountains starting in SoCal.

Goldenirishman - yes, I was also looking at maps and came up with the same general location of Julian (apple pie and hot liquid drinks) and Bostonia.

Goldwasher, 4.5" in one afternoon is A LOT of water and how those mountain sides collect it and funnel it down to the valley floor, also known as the River Channel! When the ground water has saturated the hillsides, loosening the grip of plants rocks and dirt to the bedrock then is when the real earth movement will start. It just depends on how much the snow pack is and how quickly it heats up to melt the snow back into water that will make the call for how high the major water flows will be.

I just checked the water flow on the NFAR and yesterday about afternoon it hit 6000 cfs up from 200 cfs. My MY!

I am So looking forward to being back out there!................63bkpkr

View attachment Dredging.bmp 200_0085_r1.jpg 2003 Nfar Herb & Justin 17.JPG Like a kid in a Candy Store!

Last edited:

Hosssauce

Greenie
Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, has it been a nice few days of rain ! PART_1450824462186_PART_1450824460046_.IMG_20151222_144719.jpg

Maxwell Creek in Coulterville, CA. First time it's been flowing strong in 4 years. Bring on the nuggets !

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hosssauce,
That is some definitely heavy water and its tinged with some brown indicating humus type dirt is being washed down and it is bank to bank. Could you hear any boulders pounding on the bedrock? That water sure will stir things up! I'd be curious to see another picture from the same spot with the water a milk chocolate brown indicating lots of dirt is being moved. A four year low flow now being eliminated by some solid rain! Thank you for the photo, it kinda stirs my inners!...................63bkpkr

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NFNF early this morning. at the Y. anyway another awesome day in gold country. Love hiking in the fog..

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We got 4.5 inches yesterday afternoon through the morning. We don't normally get that much that quick. Creek at the park is flooding the horseshoe pits, culvert at my driveway went from 0 to full quick. Lots of lake size puddles. Went over the south fork she was rushin' and a lovely King Fire run off brown!!! Won't be on the claim until after Christmas weekend. Nice to know its finally sluicing season!!!

Its flowing all over the North Motherload. Did you take any samples below the culvert?

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM, are you accessing the NFNF from Euchre Bar Trail or going in at the Rawhide Mine?

Neither video would play for me, I'm bummed!.......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummmh, what happened January 28-29 on the NFAR as the water crested at 20,000 CFS! That's not bad for a January and I hear the snow load in the Sierras is above norm, of course norm is kind of a short fella but I bet he's cold.

Hoser, hows the snow up your way?

I have returned to California, now in San Diego. I do not have enough time to breathe let alone go out into the hills but give it a few more weeks and I will make it out there for a first look see. If I weren't so tired I'd be excited, but I am tired!

Have fun out there, be safe.......................63bkpkr

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HERB! (read as "Norm!" on Cheers :occasion14: ) Welcome home buddy! I got problems like you won't believe right now but I can honestly say that I now feel better knowing that you're back home! We'll talk soon! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread