Need to clean some mercury

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just pulled out my old test tube of mercury pulled from a bunch of old switches. I'm going to seal it off in glass ampoules, but would like to clean the black residues off of it before the filling process. I caught a video on cleaning it here a while back but can't find it now. I remember something about salt water and electricity but that's all.

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just pulled out my old test tube of mercury pulled from a bunch of old switches. I'm going to seal it off in glass ampoules, but would like to clean the black residues off of it before the filling process. I caught a video on cleaning it here a while back but can't find it now. I remember something about salt water and electricity but that's all.

Hmmm....gonna have to make some guesses here. Sounds like you intend to make sodium amalgam. However, you don't use saltwater, you use lye. I'm not really clear why you would want to do this if you are going to seal it in glass ampules. I think what you probably need to do is run the HG through a retort.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get a syringe from a pet store put in a cotton ball tightly then squeeze the mercury through.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
get a syringe from a pet store put in a cotton ball tightly then squeeze the mercury through.

...which will mostly work but still result in a contaminated cotton ball that then needs to be put in a retort. Just start with the retort instead.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup.... Retort, set up outside with plenty of air circulation. Please, please PLEASE be sure to use a proper one and not some basement bomber design off the web!!! While they will work the safety factor just isn't there! Most of the on-line designs can suck water in and if they do then you've got major problems on your hands.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember something about salt water and electricity but that's all.

Salt brine and electricity are for 2 different things, read this - Basement Chemistry for the Prospector

reactor.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread