Got any tips for a beginner in California??

Jan 15, 2016
Fresno, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a college student in Fresno, CA and I honestly love this hobby and have for years. Used to work in a really nice pawn store as their sales rep for White's metal detectors and other prospecting supplies. Sold gold/silver bullion and old coins as well. Anyways in between classes I have been trying to go out an do some detecting and prospecting. I just have a few questions that I am sure a few of you could answer.

1. Does anyone know of some good places to start gold panning or using a sluice box near the Fresno area? Camping is my favorite so I also don't mind traveling. I am not expecting you to tell me your best places. Any beginner place will be fine. (So far I have been to the San Joaquin River near town and it only yields extremely small gold specs, still fun though =P)

2. If i were to be looking to buy a nice decent size sluice box, what would you recommend?

3. Any other general tips would be great!

I plan on doing this hobby for a long time. Once I graduate college here soon my father and I are going to England on one of those trips and detect the fields hoping to find some awesome history! He will take my E-Trac and I plan on buying a CTX 3030. Anyways thanks for the information!

IMG_3346.JPG

This was me out there today in the freezing water. Only got to spend about thirty minutes out there but it was mostly just to give my friends a chance to knock panning for gold off their bucket list.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
California_Diggin
Jan 15, 2016
Fresno, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh perfect thank you! Still getting used to the layout of the site. Appreciate it!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and good luck :icon_thumleft:

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Well California Diggin you meet the first criteria of a prospector..your crazy for standing in that water and panning in your sandals this time of year.Go to the Fresno State university library and read the State mining reports for Fresno County and perhaps Madera County as well.Each county has a mines and mineral report and numerous state bulletins.If your just panning,always get down to bedrock and dig and scratch out the crevices.Have the proper equipment.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the San Joaquin from Squaw Leap up is all claimed, looks like broken bridge in the pic. Try Briceburg, the mighty Merced, or Bagby in Mariposa. Lots of good clubs, Coarsegold Gold Prospectors, Central Valley Prospectors, ect. They will be helpful, and they have claims. Coarsegold is 35 a year, and Central Valley is free, as long as you show up for the meetings.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Tips for a beginner in California? Hmmmm, move to another state without all the BS regulation. Now for the real answer, join a local club to get access to claims. Central Valley Prospectors is a great club. As far as equipment and as you are just starting out, don't spend a lot of money trying to build your own. For a sluice box, I would recommend a plastic drop riffle. They perform well and you can pick a 10" x 34" for less than $50.

OP
OP
California_Diggin
Jan 15, 2016
Fresno, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone for the tips! I have heard about broken bridge but the pic is actually behind a business area off Palm/Nees in Fresno. I was in the water for a bit and didn't care how cold it was. My other friend not pictured stayed on shore trying to reach far enough in the water to pan since the water was too cold haha. I guess I need to check out broken bridge now thought.

I'll take a look at all the clubs mentioned today and see where that leads me. Thank you for all the information!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My tip would be once you are on the gold, don't bother seperating it from the black sands. Just dump it all into a sealed container and dig like there is no tomorrow! Clean your gold at home to maximize your time on site.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there, and welcome to TNET.

Whether you're in California or just starting out anywhere else, get good at the basics of prospecting: panning (books, Internet), research (books, Internet), watching videos on Youtube or other sites to practice techniques on finding the gold and on recovery, etc., etc.

What really works well is if you can find yourself an experienced, seasoned prospector that will take you one-on-one to learn what you need to know. A lot of people like to have company when they head into the hills even though some don't. Nothin' better than finding someone that's been up the creek and over the mountain, and that's how I got my feet wet, and I still don't know everything about it that my mining buddy does! Finding such a partner may be easier if you join a club as that will put you in touch with others that share the passion and give you a universal connection. Nothing brings people together like a common interest!

You've got some great advice so far, and all the best as you get out there, warm weather or not,

Lanny

OP
OP
California_Diggin
Jan 15, 2016
Fresno, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What really works well is if you can find yourself an experienced, seasoned prospector that will take you one-on-one to learn what you need to know. A lot of people like to have company when they head into the hills even though some don't. Nothin' better than finding someone that's been up the creek and over the mountain, and that's how I got my feet wet, and I still don't know everything about it that my mining buddy does! Finding such a partner may be easier if you join a club as that will put you in touch with others that share the passion and give you a universal connection. Nothing brings people together like a common interest!

Lanny

So is this an invite :laughing7:? I think that is great advice! I am hoping that after I take a look at some nearby clubs that someone will do just that! My friend has a claim up north and I already told him that I would work super hard and let him keep all the gold if he payed me in knowledge and experience! I am young so I have a long time to participate in this activity.

The gold will come eventually =P In the meantime pretty much all I do is watch videos on gold prospecting and drool at what people find haha.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there, and welcome to TNET.

Whether you're in California or just starting out anywhere else, get good at the basics of prospecting: panning (books, Internet), research (books, Internet), watching videos on Youtube or other sites to practice techniques on finding the gold and on recovery, etc., etc.

You've got some great advice so far, and all the best as you get out there, warm weather or not,

Lanny

If I was close enough, you bet I'd get in the creek with you!

All the best with finding someone closer; there are good people that will help you out,

Lanny

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the forum California Diggin. My suggestion would be read everything you can find here and see what works for you in your area. Also every pan is a sample pan. If you keep that in mind you will always be learning about the environment tou are in and the gold you are getting. Good Luck and feel free to ask as many questions as necessary.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
P.S Turn your pan around 180 and use the riffles until there are barely any blondes left and you have mostly black sand in the bottom....

OP
OP
California_Diggin
Jan 15, 2016
Fresno, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
P.S Turn your pan around 180 and use the riffles until there are barely any blondes left and you have mostly black sand in the bottom....

I know to use the riffles. Like I said right underneath the photo I was simply out there to show my friends really quick so they could check it off their bucket list. This is him taking a picture of me really quickly explaining the basics so he could have proof I showed him. I had just scooped up some sand from the surface and tossed it in there. I appreciate you pointing that out though. If I am ever making rookie mistakes i'd hope someone would point it out haha.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am planning on buying the KeeneA52 Sluice box.

Unless you already have lots of experience running a metal riffle sluice, don't do this. Start with a smaller sized plastic drop riffle (California Sluice makes good ones, Le Trap is big but popular, or Angus Mackirk which I personally prefer) instead. They are quicker to set up, lighter, quicker to clean out and most of all easier to run right -for a newbie especially.

...then add a Bazooka Goldtrap later when you want more production and have confidence there's enough water at your fav spot to feed your bigger sluice :)

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bazooka = more production. Words of wisdom there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread