Adjustable Sluice Box

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

I am fairly new to this site. I am a senior in high school working on a major design problem for my Engineering Design and Development class. My idea is to create a sluice box that is adjustable in width, length, and riffle size in order to maximize the amount of gold being collected. I also want to create a device that can adjust the amount of water going into the sluice (the sluice would be used in a river or creek). I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this idea. Is this a product you would be interested in? Many thanks.

-Sam

Upvote 0

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds amazing and if it works -may mean big bucks for you! One recommendation: try to keep transport in mind, incorporating all of the options you are considering may make the sluice heavy/bulky. Many prospectors take good hikes to their diggings and usually take transportation into account when determining which sluice to use. I'm eager to see what you create!

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not trying discouraging remarks, but the amount of parts in something extremely adjustable would be a deterrent, in my opinion.
too many things to mess with, too many things to lose.
old saying around some parts: k.i.s.s. (keep it simple, stupid)
nothing wrong with tinkering, but I'd also recommend to get out and do some digging before you design something made for miners.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sam If you can design a sluice box that mimics the different type of hydrology contained in a creek or river in the drop zones of gold, you will have a great senior project. Good luck on whatever you work on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions