11 Pound Rock polisher Rod Mill Project

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Just bought an 11 pound rotary tumbler off ebay for my Rod Mill Project. I've read earlier threads about the Randy Clarkson rod mill plus the orginal paper. I also just bought the USA Prospector Miller Table with the patented ABS material with coating that holds on to the gold.

What motivated me is the amount of time it takes to crush my black sands using a jaw crusher is very time consuming despite the gold I was recovering. Here's the link:5kg Rotary Tumbler Surface Polisher Jewelry Rock Polishing Finishing Machine | eBay
As you can see it is transparent plus speed adjustable so you can dial in the speed of rotation while watching the action of the rods on the material.

So will see how this "pans out" and for the price, what the heck.
Randy-Midnight Miner in good standing (Hello Dave and Pam!)

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool. I hope you don't run into the barrell bouncing that I did when trying a rock tumbler for a rod mill. I can't tell from the pictures but does the barrell just lay freely on powered rollers or is the barrell powered with free rollers?

The other issue you might run into is barrell diameter and size. The rock tumbler barrels including yours are of nearly equall diameter and length. This will cause a failure. Your rods will go Cockeyed and get stuck. The length of the rods/barrel needs to be longer then the diameter of the barrell is wide so they cannot get out of wack. Anyways just my thought good luck and keep us posted on your results. I love the transparent barrell though!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
S

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Do you mean just copy and paste to that page? That would make sense to do that as that was a dynamite thread!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking that barrel won't be transparent for long if you are pounding black sand in it. I guess if it holds up long enough to get your speeds and load tuned the scratching/fogging won't matter so much.

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking that barrel won't be transparent for long if you are pounding black sand in it. I guess if it holds up long enough to get your speeds and load tuned the scratching/fogging won't matter so much.

Heavy Pans

That's for sure!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I would guesstimate that within 2-3 batches being run in that barrel it would be looking like frosted glass. Another problem I see is that the actual barrel is hex shaped so instead of a smooth rolling action it's going to have a tendency to lift the rods and drop them.

Rockwerx

May 31, 2015
Alberta
Detector(s) used
2 ATG, ATP, JOBE 36 Yellow Jacket Stream Sluice, Jobe EZ Sluice, Garrett pans, lots of buckets!
Primary Interest:
Other
I would guesstimate that within 2-3 batches being run in that barrel it would be looking like frosted glass. Another problem I see is that the actual barrel is hex shaped so instead of a smooth rolling action it's going to have a tendency to lift the rods and drop them.

That is what I thought also from owning similar rock tumblers. The hex shape works very well to help shorten runs times on rocks or other media, but I found that rods do not roll over very well in the non-round containers.

OP
OP
S

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Any suggestions as to what I could replace the hex plastic barrel with?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Randy, I use good old white pvc drain pipe, thick wall and balls as hex material never found. Screw fitting on one end , end cap other and good to go. Amazing rain here cme 2?John

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also check out some kind of ball bearings ,ETC they may be a better choice than the rods . You could check at a heavy truck and equipment place and see if they will save you some , maybe flip them a 20.00 . I just looked up steel shot on ebay , it's pretty cheap . Just do a couple of searches , you may be able to get a good size , I seen some that were half inch some maybe bigger .

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also check out some kind of ball bearings ,ETC they may be a better choice than the rods . You could check at a heavy truck and equipment place and see if they will save you some , maybe flip them a 20.00 . I just looked up steel shot on ebay , it's pretty cheap . Just do a couple of searches , you may be able to get a good size , I seen some that were half inch some maybe bigger .

No.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not again...

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What you use is going to depend on what you're trying to do with the black sands. If you simply want to crush them ball bearings will work fine. If you want to flatten out the gold to make it easier to see for recovery then you'll want to use rods instead. It's crushing Vs. rolling actions.

OP
OP
S

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Great ideas guy's,thank you! Yeah I want to flatten out the gold so I'll go with Hoser Johns thick wall PVC and your post GoldenIrishman about using rods. As King Soloman said, there is wisdom in many counselors!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You are fairly new to this forum and I assume you have not read this thread... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/456622-simple-solution-fine-gold-recovery.html
Ball bearings actually work counter to the desired results as proposed by the inventor and that is mostly what people using tumblers, etc are trying to do.

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are fairly new to this forum and I assume you have not read this thread... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/456622-simple-solution-fine-gold-recovery.html
Ball bearings actually work counter to the desired results as proposed by the inventor and that is mostly what people using tumblers, etc are trying to do.

Ok , I see where your coming from . I was thinking about crushing the fines , rather than flattening the gold . Thanks for the insight .

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you scrounge around a bit you might be able to find a short section of the large PVC pipe. It would kind of suck to have to buy a full 10ft. length to get the short little piece you'll need. I'd check plumbing contractors and such. For such a short section they'd most likely give it to you for free if you explain what it's for. I know Home Depot has short sections up to 2" diameter but I'm not sure on larger sizes.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
talk to a water a sewer contractor they will have what your looking for I have some 12" pcv sch40 that I used to build a telescope 13 years ago you can get the cap and clean out end from them.

good luck

Bill

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you scrounge around a bit you might be able to find a short section of the large PVC pipe. It would kind of suck to have to buy a full 10ft. length to get the short little piece you'll need. I'd check plumbing contractors and such. For such a short section they'd most likely give it to you for free if you explain what it's for. I know Home Depot has short sections up to 2" diameter but I'm not sure on larger sizes.
Simple trip to Home Depot. They have 2ft pre cut sections of every size for like 2 bucks, at least the one in Folsom does. And your looking for ABS pipe not PVC. I'm sure PVC would work but ABs is a way better option

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread