XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a video once, a guy in Cali was buying buckets of sand from a gravel operation in the aluvial fan of the 'river of the moon' aka the motherload. He was getting good gold.
I found gold flakes all through some cinderblock in a parapit wall on a roof of a cold storage in Spokane washington.
Our local gravel pit has big streamers of black sand all through the roads also, never panned it.
I imagine a whole lot of gold has gone into concrete and other gravel products by pit operators oblivious to what is down in them gravel beds.
A rock quarry near Bonners Ferry Idaho blasted into a rich gold vein and never knew it untill people started collecting large hunks of gold laden rock from a local mill yard a few years ago also.
Once again, the most important part of getting the gold is knowing what you are looking at.
I have been thinking about my past gravel operations , and I was wondering if anyone has ever panned any from a working gravel pit . I have found river gravel that was subsurface and never thought about the potencial for gold . I was just wondering , if anyone has ?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yes and it's a big business here in CO.
Yep Kevin is right. Most of our sand and gravel operations here in CO have "rag" plants which
are used to recover the gold before the sand is shipped out. My partner and I visited one and
were originally interested in the fine tailing for microscopic gold. Now for chuckles and grins
we tested the processed sand that was being shipped out. We were absolutely amazed to see all
of this coarse gold in the sand being shipped out. This is why folks pan for gold in Home Depot
bags of sand. LOL Their plant simply was not catching most of the gold- We figured it started to
clog up a few hours after starting up. We showed the operator our results and were told TO LEAVE
THE SITE.

We figured we did not know all the facts. Operator too lazy to run an efficient operation? Did not want
the owner to know? Relative or "kick backs" from the guy who ran the gold operations? Who knows? LOL

George

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would take a major sluicing system to run the kind of yardage we are talking about . I think realisticaly you would have to have two seperate sluices to allow for good clean up and a crew to run them . Sad they wern't more interested in saving that gold , I'm sure the owner would have rewarded them if they were at 90% or better . I would have , The problem today is getting some people to actually work for their money , young or old . I have had many go through in my time , your smart to take care of the ones that do a good job for you .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread