Just wondering if anyone has found any Platinum

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neotokoyo found a nugget.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
from what i have seen and been told,it looks white and stays with the black sand and gold.good luck.
brad

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a loaded question , but realistically where does most of the Platinum come from in the USA , and no smart answers like in the ground . LOL

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parts of motherlode, Klamath Montana Alaska

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parts of motherlode, Klamath Montana Alaska

Thanks Goldwasher , I would like to get to a place to find a couple of flakes , just to say I did . I've thought about moving to Montana , I just really have'nt decided yet where to totally retire till my kids our out of college . Thats if I can get them to go , I have two that are definate and there are a couple like me that want to wait a couple of years , that turned into 5 years for me . LOL I've heard that there is genrally quite a bit of siver also found with platinum also , is this generally the case . I've got some realators looking for a nice place with 250 acres or so , they have'nt been been many with everything I want , so I figure time is on my side . I have also been looking at New Hampshire too .

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also can find it up where you had your accident. that area also has some.

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never panned any up, but dredged some up in the Southern Ma-lode as well as the S. Umpqua, Oregon. The S. Umpqua seemed to have a fair amount of it.

As I remember, it looks steel-grey with perhaps a slight bluish hue to me. I would think that chances of panning any up might be pretty slim.

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool , I should have kept the house and land , I had up there . I have a couple friends up there so maybe I'll get back there sometime this summer .

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They do find it in the East Branch of the Swift River In Maine. And Rangley Area. I have some pieces I believe is platnum. But not a 100 percent positive. They are heavy and stay in the pan like gold.

G

ghostminer

We have platinum on the Gopher Hill Gold Mine in Plumas County,Ca. It is found in the black sands and looks silvery bright. We use a Blue Bowl to run the black sands for sub 30 mesh gold and platinum.

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is Platinum worth , I guess I could check the market , just wondering ?

G

ghostminer

It's been hit hard like all commodities lately. $858/ounce today.

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have found some at Horseshoe bend, Green River, Utah. actually found more platinum one day than gold, but only once I have found it.

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some at Horseshoe bend, Green River, Utah. actually found more platinum one day than gold, but only once I have found it.

Thats cool it's all worth money , if I found Platinum I would sell it , I would keep the Gold I think unless , I found A couple thousand OZ'S them maybe I would sell it . I don't have to worry much in the area I'm in so I'll just keep it .

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are several different minerals. In the platnum family. Iridosmine, iridulm,rhodium, tellurium, osmiridium and ruthenium are companions to gold and silver. And can be found in Northern N.H. Silvery to dark gray nodules.

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats cool it's all worth money , if I found Platinum I would sell it , I would keep the Gold I think unless , I found A couple thousand OZ'S them maybe I would sell it . I don't have to worry much in the area I'm in so I'll just keep it .

I dont think I could ever sell my gold, it's too pretty to look at. The platinum I found wasn't much, maybe a half gram, never weighed it, but i keep it just to show people what it looks like

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found what I believe to be a small platinum metal group picker on the middle fork American last year. It passed the weight difference and hydrogen peroxide test but is still unconfirmed. An interesting fact, Ive read about what the old timers called "counterfeit gold dust" that was found in this same area, turns out some Chinese miners had come across a good amount of it and tried to sell it as gold. They were actually criminalized for this act, once it was found that it was platinum and not gold. At this time in history the Chinese were almost the only ones working the riverbeds as most other white miners had moved into the hills. I believe the location that my picker was found could have been very close to these Chinese miners found there platinum and would also help validate that it is platinum.
IMG_20150420_165747.jpg IMG_20150420_215850.jpg IMG_20150420_215946.jpg IMG_20150420_220015.jpg

ScottC

Jun 21, 2009
Trinity County California has been known to have Platinum. One summer back in the 80s my partner and I found about 20 platinum nuggets most about 1 gram each and several at about 2 grams each. We showed them to the chief geologist at HomeStake mining Corp and he confirmed they were in fact platinum. He was very impressed and was very interested in where we found them. Of course we invited him and his crew up for a day of prospecting our claim. They didn't find any platinum but they sure had some good stories to tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread