Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my observation, and it's very limited lol so take it with a grain of salt. But gold tend to be flat in many cases, even when it's small. And when you are panning, it's at the bottom of your pan, but when you swirl the pan at the end to un cover it, it's at the top of the pan. I've noticed that the gold in my pan will float when it's not covered with water but as I swirl it around, the water will pick it up with the surface tension and float it.

But ymmv, I'm def not an expert, just my observation

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is very malleable so it gets flattened which increases its surface area. The little flat flakes become little boats.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, what PurpleGold said. It's the flatness I think. Black sands and stuff usually are more round so their weight isn't as distributed across the surface of the water as evenly so they can break through the surface tension.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's because of the physics of the gold atom. It is hydrophobic (just like diamond btw) which means it sheds water easily and so it dries in an instant if given a chance. Why? The orientation of the atoms repels water due to the electric charge of the electrons in the outer "shell" and the arrangement of atoms in the metallic structure. Whew!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cause gold is where you find it:laughing7:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's really cool is the Cheerio effect................ huh?
If you go to about the 7 min mark in this video I show it.

Doc

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirty/oily gold will always float. Clean the carpets in your recovery units and all tubs pans and such associated with your op. Even the smallest amount of gas/oil covers everything, amazing how a little goes so bloody far and is hard to remove . Dirty water(mud/silt/misc) in your operating water raises your specific gravity considerably also and add ANY aireation of the water and gold catches it and adios your hard work. Lots of luck-John

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Warm and hot water also help disapate the surface tension while panning !

Always wondered about that. Never experimented though.

OP
OP
Bodfish Mike

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Kevin I think that was the answer I was looking for -- do I understand what you said no but I like it.
And thanks to the others about flat pieces that makes sense but this was happening with little chunky ones also.
And thanks to John about the oil tip and I think human sweat will have the same affect - and I do plenty of that.
Thanks

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warm water holds less dissolved gas than cold water. Same with making ice. If you want clear ice, you start with warm water.

Dissolved gas can be a problem in city water. In the pipes, the gas is held under pressure keeping it dissolved. Once out of the tap the pressure is off, and the gas begins to come out of solution. This gas can make the hot water cloudy as it comes out of the tap. Cold water will come out clear and then become cloudy as the water begins to warm.

Here's a pic of microbubbles in hot water.

IMG_2803.JPG

I have seen these bubbles get gold neutrally buoyant and make it dance like a mica flake over the black sand. Jet dry WILL NOT work to prevent microbubbles from forming on the gold. When this happens, take an eyedropper and suck the piece up, and lay it back down in a clean spot in the pan. It should stay put.

The eyedropper first pressurizes the bubbles and shrinks them, then the current through the orafice washes the bubbles off the gold.

Give tap water time to offgas, and warm to room temprature before using for panning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread