Sluice Flare Design

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,
I created a prototype out of steel sheet metal, but my final design will be aluminum. My idea was to make a flare with hinged walls so that you can control the amount of water going into the sluice by changing the angle of the flare walls. The foam underneath the walls allows for easy moving and prevents water leakage. The flare is 12 inches long with an opening of 18 inches that tapers down to 10 inches. Please give me feedback on this design. Would you be interested in a flare like this?

Many thanks,
Sam

1457109713445.jpg
1457109795595.jpg

Upvote 0

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to knock your desigh , but I'm afraid you will be losing Gold from under the side walls being adjusted . You might be better off having to seperate sides with the flairs be prebent and figure out how the bottm of the sluice having a slide action across each other .

OP
OP
S

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is actually no water leakage because the side walls are supported by foam underneath. Like a sweep on a door, the foam prevents water or air from leaking through. My testing of the design channels all the water through the flare without any water escaping.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting idea and I can see where it could be handy. Around my area there's not much sluicing unless you're using a re-circ system so I guess offering to test it would be out?

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you need to run it for a while , miners expect equipment to last forever . LOL So if the thing starts losing Gold fast they will not use it . We are a cheap bunch , that don't like to spend money on repairs . We expect to use the thing for a long time with little if any extra funding . JMHO

OP
OP
S

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thank you all for the feedback! i will update again when I have finished the sluice box and have tested the entire design. many thanks

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing to keep in mind Moto is that it's a flare, NOT a sluice box. I doubt it would loose gold like you're thinking. The idea is sound and if the base plate and wings are made from metal thick enough not to have much flex to it it should last pretty well. An easy way to secure the wings into position is a must though.

OP
OP
S

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As you can see in the pictures, I have been securing the wings with paper clamps which seem to be doing the job quite well.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if you're planning on going into production with this but paper clamps are not going to instill a lot of confidence in customers. They're fine for testing and proving the concept but for a production item.....nope. I think it's a good idea and you should consider marketing them if you are able to but the paper clamps have got to go on the finished model.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Having the clamps on the inside of the flare could cause some disruption in the water flow. I don't know if it would be a bad thing. My ocd likes to see the water flow in smoothly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread