Colorado and Panning For Gold Question

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am going to Colorado (for my first time) and I was wondering if anybody knows the laws for panning on the Eagle River, specifically in Avon (Beaver Creek Mountain) area. I will be staying at a hotel, and the river runs directly in front of it. I thought it might be fun to bring a pan (which I've also never done yet) and try right in that one spot. I wasn't planning on digging, just messing around with the top soil, unless you think that is absolutely pointless. I am not comfortable with venturing anywhere other than right there, since I've never been to Colorado, so I'd only be interested in that exact spot. Thanks for anyone who is able to chime in!

BrettCo

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on if that section of the river is claimed already. I have looked at the river areas I frequent and there isn't a single bit that isn't claimed. Always do your due diligence so that you aren't committing mineral theft!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brett, as you will see on mylandmatters.org there are no claims for many miles either way of Avon for the simple reason that there's no gold. You'd have to drive east to Summit County (where claims and county owned land restrictions are both challenges), or south a ways to find gold. Sorry.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on if that section of the river is claimed already. I have looked at the river areas I frequent and there isn't a single bit that isn't claimed. Always do your due diligence so that you aren't committing mineral theft!
Very good information. Thanks for your response.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett, as you will see on mylandmatters.org there are no claims for many miles either way of Avon for the simple reason that there's no gold. You'd have to drive east to Summit County (where claims and county owned land restrictions are both challenges), or south a ways to find gold. Sorry.

Kevin,

Thanks for letting me know (and saving me space in my carry-on bag!). That's a let-down, but I may go to a pay-to-play place in Breckenridge to give it a shot!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm having a difficult time navigating that site for some reason. How can I check to see if the Elkton, Maryland rivers may be worth panning? It wouldn't take much than a flake or two to make me happy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread