Can gold float?

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know this sounds crazy I recently went panning/sluicing with my friend and we kept finding something that looked exactly like gold and handled like it in the pan but then we would put it on our finger to see if thought it was gold for sure and then when we put it back the water picked it and and washed it away and then it would sink again and act like gold again. Could this be from the oil on our finger? Or was it just not gold?

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! Sound like gold to me. When it's on the surface of the water it moves very easily then when the water tension breaks it falls straight down. And doesn't move easily. Try a little dish soap in the pan and it will help

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's gold. Gold is hydrophobic- due to its molecular structure it repels water. When dry it floats well due to good old surface tension.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABSOLUTELY!!

The more pounded (flat) the gold is too, the easier it will act like a canoe.

That's why you will read everyone recommending JetDry when panning cons or using a re-circulating system at home etc.
It breaks up that surface tension.

Also, I found it best to pre-wet my material before dropping into your sluice.
If your digging dry dirt and bringing it to your sluice in the stream, the dry dirt and any gold it may contain will be very hydrophobic at contact with the water. Not all of it of course, but you'll see some dirt float off and not submerge into the water flow.

I have seen it many times when panning and watch that water slip right underneath a speck and pick it right up and carry it off.
Crazy indeed.

Good luck and let us all know how that Braun unit works.

G

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely small flat gold LOVES to float. The hardest part about finish panning is separating the materials without floating gold and then dropping it all over the pan and starting over.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NH. gold is wicked flat and fine one wrong move and off it goes.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to be clear on the suggestions on using jet-dry or dish soap
don't use it in or around the stream that's where I get my coffee water

OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone this is exiting! Can't wait to go down there and sluice again!

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
if you touch it with your finger as its floating in the pan it should sink to the bottom, just make sure its not stuck on your finger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread