Has anyone been prospecting In Yellowstone

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was younger and in the boy scouts we camped at Yellowstone for a week and it was some really good memories. Bears waking through the campground, made a fishing pole and caught trout in the river.. Didn't find any gold but strangely enough found a $20 bill in the middle of the woods not near any trail that was really old and tattered. Used it to buy some survivors :D

I have stayed at Yellowstone 10 times, everything from sleeping on the ground, tent, van, popup camper, lodges, Old Faithful Inn and at Mammoth Hot Springs lodges..

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hausel's very sharp. I've read his stuff for years. He's the single reason I took up diamond prospecting in the Grenn River basin. But, I've never heard him mention anything about gems in Yellowstone Park. I always assumed the "yellow" was the rhyolite. Never heard of diamonds found there, either.....interesting.
Jim

He doesn't mention them inside the park I just remember seeing a couple or three places listed on Mindat where tiny diamonds were found inside the park, I could be wrong my memory isn't so great haha. Plus I guess they could have just been deposited by glaciers or by alluvial action but I would think there has to be some diamonds in that park somewhere:)

I agree he's a very smart man, he has found a few overlooked deposits and I certainly see why exploration companies hire him to find them deposits. I would love to understand geology and be able to read the terrain like he does, it must be crazy to be able to stand somewhere and envision what happened there over time the way he and other great geologists can.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alex, I'm also sure there are a few diamonds in the Park. But not sourced there. Probably a few are brought to the surface, from old river systems that have long ago passed away. Most igneous volcanic areas may bring a few to the surface, but you'd be an old man before you found one...LOL I doubt there's any kimberlite in the Park. Most of the pipes Dan has found are in eastern, or maybe south-central Wyoming.....Laramie area, Medicine Bow mntns, etc. There are a few pipes west of Flaming Gorge, too, but the remains are deeply buried by the rubble of the Uinta Mountains. I know of one BIG plume of chrome diopside in a tributary of Black's Fork, but there's no other evidence of the pipe. I'm sure it's there, but covered by several hundred feet of alluvial deposits. I'm going back over there this summer. I've uncovered some additional info, and need to take another look.
Jim

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a little off topic I guess but I found this article about a different model of diamond creation that may account for the placer diamonds they occasionally find in Ca and AK. I don't think it would apply to that area but I'd never heard of diamonds forming the way they theorize, you probably already know of this theory but thought it was worth sharing:)

http://www.petroleumnews.com/pntruncate/29034922.shtml

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting read, Alex. That could also explain the diamonds found in northern Calif., and southern Oregon.
Jim

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, I heard a story about a rogue ranger who metal detected for nuggets in Yellowstone...and found some. Hmm, urban legend or real?

Oh, I've heard more than enough about Yellowstone to think it's most likely not a legend. I lived close enough to two guys that delved into that stuff for years, and prospected in the surrounding areas, not to believe some of it Kevin.

The story about the Spanish gold in the swamp was the one that really intrigued me. Those Spanish miners and Priests were a determined bunch when it came to finding the gold and keeping secrets, plus they cared not for the human cost to extract the gold either. But that human cost, enslaving the local indigenous population to do the mining, that's what went all wrong, thus the many gold legends and actual retrievals of gold and silver bars that were dumped by avenging tribes.

Anyway, fascinating stuff to think about, and I like your tale of the rogue Ranger.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
M

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have too say there have been some interesting stories from this Thread .

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what kind of yellow stone is the name sake for "Yellowstone"? There is indeed gold in the streams, including the Yellowstone River. Pelican Creek on the east side of park is rumored to have nuggets in the stream south of Pelican Peak. It's also where the park stRangers transport and release the problem grizzly bears they deal with. I wonder why? The Absaroka range outside the park is host to lode deposits according to Dan Housel, former state Geologist in Wyoming, and a contributor to the ICMJ. The state of Wyoming geological survey is controlled by left wing environmentalists who have effectively stifled mining and mineral exploration and extraction in the "equality" state. But, like Jeff95531 says, "We can look, but don't touch."

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi...Im from philippines...just wanna ask about something...my grand father is a US veteran during world war II before he died he gave me a ring and necklace pendant..the ring was positive 24 k gold. engrave in it was the year 1941 and 1945....the necklace pendant that is still in my position as of now i dont know if it is gold or what..engrave in it is " UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"(front) "ASIATIC PACIFIC CAMPAIGN"(back) with also a year 1941 & 1945..do u think it is also gold?

Holy random does it look like this: http://m.ebay.com/itm/172148585482

kuyagab

Mar 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes sir exactly....I was 3 yrs old when he gave this to me....hehehe

kuyagab

Mar 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i see so its his medal during the world war II...is this thing still have value nowadays sir?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is worth about $15 according to the link:) it isn't a military medal it is a display piece they made a lot of I think

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geologists say that there is a super volcano under the park that someday will erupt. Bide your time, stay away, let it cool and then go prospect. Should be some nice new veins. Silver too I bet...
When she blows we are all in trouble----------------------the whole World that is.:BangHead:
Marvin

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When she blows we are all in trouble----------------------the whole World that is.:BangHead:
Marvin
The North American plate has been sliding over that hotspot for 60 million years. It used to be off the coast of Northern Calif. If you look at a satellite photo of Idaho, you can see the track across southern Idaho. It will definitely blow again, but probably not in our lifetimes. Be interesting if it did. The last eruption near us was only 2,000 years ago.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions