cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually my wife and I were looking for a retirement home. We made an offer on a piece of land and getting bids on a pre-fab home.
ALL IN NORTHERN CA GOLD COUNTRY! (AND RIGHT ON THE COAST)

I brought my MD and a gold pan but did not have time to pull either one out of the trunk. But, what I did was bring back samples of the beach sands less than 3 miles from our possible future home. The beach is miles long with three completely different types of black (or very dark) sands. Each sample is about 20 lbs. Right now I have them in open containers on my work bench.
Lot A is dry and course and nothing magnetic.
Lot B is slightly damp and lots of magnetic material.
Lot C is packed wet sand and lots of magnetic material.

Right now my only question is how would I dry out lot C? (do not want to use oven, smell and expense)

Upvote 0

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it in the car (on the dash or rear deck) on a sunny day or in the attic spread out. It will be dry PDQ even if it isn't that sunny or warm.

ratled

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I have no sun I dry cons on my woodstove in the shop with ventilation. Also if you are a coasty and like crab you may have or need a propane crab cooker which works great on low heat with material shallow in a metal pan and stir.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it in the car (on the dash or rear deck) on a sunny day or in the attic spread out. It will be dry PDQ even if it isn't that sunny or warm.
won't the condensation then get on the inside windows and in everything?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if you are a coasty and like crab you may have or need a propane crab cooker which works great on low heat with material shallow in a metal pan and stir.
I may soon be a coasty but don't have a crab cooker yet. Crabbing is illegal for a year right now. They have some kind of virus that could put you in a comma.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
won't the condensation then get on the inside windows and in everything?

Not really but if it's that wet crack a window just very little and you should be good to go.

ratled

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it on the gas or charqcoal grill outside in a big pan .

Last edited:

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, it's late and I'm tired, so maybe I'm missing something here, but why do you need to dry the samples?

You said you never used the equipment you brought and that these are raw samples from the beach. Why not just pan them out now, they are going to get wet anyway?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, it's late and I'm tired, so maybe I'm missing something here, but why do you need to dry the samples?
Why not just pan them out now, they are going to get wet anyway?

Here is what I never mentioned. I went to a "gold show" several weeks ago and saw this item. Then later traded a couple grams of gold for this.

It can be used wet or dry but the demo I saw was dry sand and that is how I want to do my tests.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks rather interesting. I wonder how strong the magnets are. I 've been wanting to find a good rare earth magnet as I've been reading that hematite is actually slightly magnetic and can be pulled out of the cons with one.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This thing seems sort of silly to me and not worth the money. What am I missing?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thing seems sort of silly to me and not worth the money. What am I missing?

According to the inventor and it makes sense. The black magnetic material is almost as heavy as gold and when you have black sands it is hard to separate the magnetic material from the sands. This will pull out the magnetic from the sands and leave the gold in the sands for later processing.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks rather interesting. I wonder how strong the magnets are. I 've been wanting to find a good rare earth magnet as I've been reading that hematite is actually slightly magnetic and can be pulled out of the cons with one.

The magnets are very strong Neodymium. He has them custom made in China. There are two sizes, the one in the video is the smaller size. I got the bigger one it has an 8" spindle so most of that is a magnet.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: magnets create gold oreo cookies with black sand on both sides and your gold in the middle. Rerun any/all materials for what was missed-John

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: magnets create gold oreo cookies with black sand on both sides and your gold in the middle. Rerun any/all materials for what was missed-John
The inventor demonstrating his machine recommended a triple pass on the magnetite.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deleted

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
According to the inventor and it makes sense. The black magnetic material is almost as heavy as gold and when you have black sands it is hard to separate the magnetic material from the sands. This will pull out the magnetic from the sands and leave the gold in the sands for later processing.

According to the inventor you say? Hmm, snake oil salesman maybe? Any high quality magnet will do the job...you sure don't need to spend $100 on a fancy looking one!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the inventor you say? Hmm, snake oil salesman maybe? Any high quality magnet will do the job...you sure don't need to spend $100 on a fancy looking one!
I agree about the magnet. But, this is the Porsche of magnets. Those $10 ones on ebay with the big button work too but they are the VW of the magnets. But, like I said I traded a couple grams of gold for it and that gold was free.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want some free gold! Please advise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread