How to obtain private land access

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Someone i stay in contact with regularly on T-Net asked me yesterday "How is it you can get access so easily to peoples creeks? Well i thought i would share the answer and I really hope it helps some of you who struggle with this.

I used to work retail and the #1 thing to do if you want a customer to be interested in something is to be honest with them, and FIND SOMETHING IN COMMON to talk about before you do anything else.
The land i just recently asked for permission to prospect on has the only exposed bedrock lined creek in the city i live in. When i drove up i knocked on the door and was nervous like always. When he answered the door it just came so easy to me. Talk about the house...

"Hi, my name is Jake and i pass this house EVERY day and would like to compliment you on how well you take care of it." This is the first step, build a rapport. He talked about how he and his wife have lived here for 30+ years his kids, his business etc. His dog was wondering about, Yet another common thread.

"Man, i love dogs, i wish i had the kind of property you have so i could let mine just roam around as they please." He talked about his dog 'Avenger' (nicest dog ever btw) and i talked of my short legged Welsh Corgi.

Then came the question " Ya know, ive noticed this creek has a lot of rounded bedrock, here in villa rica, there is really no other place like this. With your permission, id like to maybe poke around in there with a gold pan and sluice box. Would that be okay?"

He was overjoyed. The love of his property, the possibility of minerals and gold in his creek, and the common love for animals and his house made it easy. Just be genuine. There is no reason to beat around the bush or mislead someone into thinking you are just there to look at the water.

If anyone else has a suggestion please post below!

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I always offer a signed waiver of liability, so there is No threat of suit in case of injury

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ducky's charm prevails! Thanks for sharing, hope it inspires others to "just ask!"

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I had a friend (he passed) years back that did just as you suggested which is a good thing and he dredged their creek for that year. He got interested in this property (it was for sale) and we went up there the next Summer to look it over and ask again for permission to dredge their creek (they gave it) and we were in their dredgeing and the owner lady and friend came down to watch us and my friend found a little flake and went up to show it to them and put it into a glass vile. later that day before we took off ,we went up to see her and tell her we were leaveing and my friend got around to asking her about the sale of the property (he was interested!) and her price went up after him finding the gold!.............well you just have to take it as its dished out to you! Two years latter my friend passed with a massive heart attack. R.I.P. ole Ben!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen Russ as I just lost a 26 acre plot because I told them I wanted to detect prior to sale-yep good gold and went from $29k cash to $59,995 in seconds...hahaha...still lookn'-John

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing worth mentioning is that you are an extra set of eyes on their property . Watching for thieves, vandals , trespassers etc.

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always offer a signed waiver of liability, so there is No threat of suit in case of injury

Do you have a 'copy' of the waiver form that you use?
It would be great if you could post a link or .pdf file.

Thanks!

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes it helps to find a local to introduce you to the landowner. He might even call to get permission for you as has happened for me a time or 2.
Its HARDER to actually buy a few acres tho if the land has been in the family for generations I am finding. Sure wish the
weather would warm up again soon? Why does winter last 5-6 months, NOT the 3 months on the calendar?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, as long as duct tape, zip ties and pillow cases are still around, access really isn't that big a problem. :skullflag:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ducky Maybe you should make a DVD titled "Sweet Talking the Land Owner-Your Chance at Gold Riches"

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"how to swindle your way to the land owners heart"

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Second in the series could be could be Higrading With a Flashlight....

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is specific to me, here are a bunch, choose one that covers your activity

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=waiver+of+liability

Yes, I have seen many on the internet and 90% are too specific to the organization that made them.

I was asking for a copy of yours.

I promise I won't copy it verbatim, I just wanted something that is already 90% of what I would want so I could edit the 10% to fit me and my area specifically.

If you can then that is fine. I don't think that I was asking for too much. After all we are talking about the same activity.

If not, well......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread