What is a inexpensive assay for black sand gold?

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I don't want a fire assay.

I want to get grab samples from a large black sand pile. And want a quantitative analysis of gold content of blacks sand, that is inexpensive. If it were up to me, I would roast or grind the BS and put it under a microscope and do a count of visibles. But were talking about huge piles of the stuff, I may want to bid on with the owner if it is rich.

And I don't want to tip them off, and give them the idea to steal from me. So I will present it as a need for organic soil amendment. And what would be a good price per ton as a "soil amendment".
The big assay companies want a fortune to leach test it with expensive leach chemicals.

Any ideas from the inteligencia?

Upvote 0

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hazen Research | An Independent Research Company
this is a link to a company that can tell you every thing you need to know about your black sand. they can even tell you if there are other values in it.
they will do the only legitimate test for gold and silver (a fire assay). I say this because it will reflect the best recovery you will be able to produce from the black sand. if it comes back at 1oz per ton then that is your goal. if you recover only 9 tenths of an oz you know you losing a potential 10%. and its up to you to catch it or figure out if the last 10% if worth the effort. the hard rock guys in my area are claiming almost 100% recovery using froth flotation. read the book on gold recovery methods .
if you like Hazen can test for 75 other elements .
If you want to know how much to pay for your black sand offer the owner 15% of what you can recover from it. dont forget you get to pay for the regrade and replanting of the area. that comes out of the total before the 15%. 75ways.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
The biggest obstacle now is just waiting to get permission to go in and do grab samples. As it is with a major corporation that has diverse interests, and the whole board has to rule on that!

It is in N. Cal, and I assume it is dredged river gravel. I think an open cooperative agreement is best, and offer a return of a % of profits after expenses are covered.

If it were up to me(it isn't) I would roast the BS, and put it under a microscope to determine values. Then do a crushing operation in a drum amalgamotor, then merc it, and run it thru a retort. I do appreciate all of your fine remarks!It would be best if it were processed on site, but that opens up another can of night crawlers! It may have to be shipped to a major refiner for processing.

"The Devil is in the details" As I find out more, I will let you in on that.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
. . .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160421-125710.png
    Screenshot_20160421-125710.png
    369.5 KB · Views: 281

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't want a fire assay.

I want to get grab samples from a large black sand pile. And want a quantitative analysis of gold content of blacks sand, that is inexpensive. If it were up to me, I would roast or grind the BS and put it under a microscope and do a count of visibles. But were talking about huge piles of the stuff, I may want to bid on with the owner if it is rich.

And I don't want to tip them off, and give them the idea to steal from me. So I will present it as a need for organic soil amendment. And what would be a good price per ton as a "soil amendment".
The big assay companies want a fortune to leach test it with expensive leach chemicals.

Any ideas from the inteligencia?

This has nothing to do with an assay but could possibly be used to effectively concentrate black sand gold of about 100 mesh and much finer if that is what you expect or know is contained and there is no involvement with mercury in the process. Cleangold: https://www.google.com/webhp?source...nUS576US576&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cleangold There has been a lot of discussion (especially on the gpex gold forum) and there are many negative comments most of which are from ignorance of just how the system works IMHO. There is some secrecy as to how to super concentrate the mostly magnetic concentrate the method produces (so it can be more easily panned) and public disclosure of the method is subject to lawsuit from what I understand.

Not a recommendation but just something to think about and maybe to discuss with the inventor David Plath in Lincoln City, Oregon.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got to thinking about how to powder the black sands without
spending a mint in the process. Would a crusher like this one do
the trick? Says it can crush down to 200 mesh...is that sufficient?

K&M 11 inch Rock Crusher - FREE SHIPPING! - Gold Rush Trading Post

Also, during the search I came across an article that may be very helpful
to some. It's dealing with large quantities of material, and much along the
same topic as we are discussing here.

http://www.isamill.com/EN/Downloads...ng - A Practical Alternative to Oxidative.pdf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread