kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Tomcot claim? Never heard of it. Best thing to do is go to your county seat and look up the land records for that land/claim. That will tell you who owns it. As for how much of the take? Guess you'll just have to ask one of the workers. ...Which might be a quicker way of finding out ownership, as well.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He's referring to Bering Sea Gold....no idea here but would be curious.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah. Yeah, I don't get pay TV anymore. Put the money to better things instead. :thumbsup:

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Neither do I ;)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think back a season or two when the huge auction was held and the rights were sold to the highest bidders. That show has what you seek as to who, what and how on governmental mining leases procedure in AK. Their rules and regs getting constantly changed like ours....ooops 8 1/4 years of NO DREDGING(for some ) in kalif is a constant. John

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree the mining lease bidding is weird and a racket lol. I will say though that the state of Alaska has the best research websites as Winner58 pointed out.

The State is often trying to swap good mining land with the Feds and they work to make good up to date info available to miners of all levels through their various sites.

Their main site is amazing it has all the reports organized in a way other states would never want or care to as it actually promotes mining and they continue to do some exploration there.

Obviously there are groups fighting mining there and regs are getting worse, but of all the states Alaska is one of the last that generally supports mining at the state level in my opinion. They still have a reverence for and remember their proud mining history. Unlike here in the "Golden State":)

Here is the dggs website if anyone wants to see how well organized they have info and is a good source for people interested in the State. http://dggs.alaska.gov/

Something more on topic:)...Google this phrase for a very detailed paper on gold deposits in Nome.

"resource estimation and analysis for offshore placer deposit using gis Hui"

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for the delay, but I see this wasn't answered.

The "Tomcod" lease is a 2000 acres offshore Nome Lease owned 50/50 undivided between John Keeley of Phoenix Marine and Dave McCully of Bering Subsea.

They also own another 2000 acres, "Herring" closer to town.

You can use the Alaska Mapper website to find current mine ownership info in Alaska:
Mining Claims On-line - Interactive Mapping Tool

I made up a map from that data and included it in my press release:
Gold Leaf Placer, LLC; Nome, Alaska

The reason it looks like there are so many people operating on the Tomcod is because there are, perhaps 30 to 50 operations authorized to mine on those two leases. These 4000 acres and the 560 acres of Rec area are where most people mine. In contrast, my operation is the only one mining in the yellow (3200 acres) and green (16,500 acres) areas of that map.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread