goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
:BangHead:.... And I thought you were going to be banging your head against the wall.... AGAIN!!!! :BangHead:....

Sounds like it would be a really interesting read. More than once I've wondered about how they did it in the REALLY old days. We all know about the advancements since the gold rush days, but what about those old toga wearing Romans and Greeks? How did they work placer and lode deposits back in their days? (NOT counting slave labor that is.) I've heard it said in the past that the legend of "The Golden Fleece" was about using a sheepskin as a sluice, but who really knows?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very interesting read...thanks Jeff!

Found it very interesting that the issues we face today are much
the same as the miners dealt with over 500 years ago...

"But besides this, the strongest argument of the detractors is that the fields are devastated by mining operations,
for which reason formerly Italians were warned by law that no one should dig the earth for metals and so injure their
very fertile fields, their vineyards, and their olive groves. Also they argue that the woods and groves are cut down,
for there is need of an endless amount of wood for timbers, machines, and the smelting of metals. And when the
woods and groves are felled, then are exterminated the beasts and birds, very many of which furnish a pleasant and
agreeable food for man. Further, when the ores are washed, the water which has been used poisons the brooks and
streams, and either destroys the fish or drives them away. Therefore the inhabitants of these regions, on account of
the devastation of their fields, woods, groves, brooks and rivers, find great difficulty in procuring the necessaries of life,
and by reason of the destruction of the timber they are forced to greater expense in erecting buildings. Thus it is said,
it is clear to all that there is greater detriment from mining than the value of the metals which the mining produces."

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks GI! Click and read! Frickin awesome job Dude! :occasion14:'s of Guinness on me and thanks for the thread move Jeff in PA :thumbsup:

DD The more things change...well you know the rest...:thumbsup:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
No problem Jeff! Glad to be able to contribute. EVERY miner should be required to read stuff like this. Not only would it help remind them that it could be worse! (and often was back then) If we don't learn from the past, then how can we avoid the same mistakes in the future? Granted... Mankind had the habit of not exactly recording the true facts all the time but with a little digging you can usually find the truth of the matter. (Columbus just had a better press agent than the Vikings did is all)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread