prospectors

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am just wondering what the deal is with folks in the small scale hardrock mining world nobody shows any work, or really talks of this form of prospecting.

Why is this ? seems like all there is anymore is building equipment that never gets used.

anyways is there another site out there that has the rock mining, ive looked but seems to be nothing but placering.

GT..............

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There is nothing wrong with posting pictures as long as you take time to make sure of a couple of things.

1. If using your phone, make sure that the GPS tagging is turned off. Look for the "GeoTagging" function in the prefs menu. If you don't turn it off, anyone that has half a brain can get the GPS cords from the file info.

2. If using a digital camera, make sure you don't have any easy to ID features in the shot. Close up shots are better to show details of your operation anyway.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
In case anyone is wondering, Gold Tramp is the real deal hard scrabble miner as I've seen his operation and mill site and its impressive. The arrastra he made is really something else combining the old with the new, built "depression era" style and pieced together with blood and sweat.

Herb, didn't make it out your way at all this winter (spent the cool months prospecting 200 mi north of you) otherwise I would have stopped by.

Thanks HP. Just wanting to make sure others don't make simple mistakes that have brought so much trouble to others in the field. It's difficult enough as it is - prospecting for a location, learning about geography, geology, and the whole new language of words that go along with hard rock, getting the funds together to buy the equipment, getting all the paperwork/forms/red tape/permits/note from God,etc, and figuring a working plan - usually all at the same time! :tongue3:

It's difficult enough for people to get started in hard rock - or even placer on a professional level - and it makes things even worse when some idiot comes along and finds easy pickings. Keep in mind that "easy pickings" could mean that it's easier to get away with than hot-wiring a high-dollar car!!

Yes, pics are fine - so long as they don't give out too much information. For other such pics, it would be preferable to send them via email to those you trust. The bad guys are getting bolder and more clever, so site security is becoming more and more important - especially when not onsite full time.

Sorry to sound like a broken record - it's just that I'm SICK TO DEATH of hearing about how miners have (and are) taken precautions that sound very good, only to still have their equipment damaged/stolen. One friend had his equipment very carefully stashed on site, but someone found it and threw everything down the mine shaft. I'm really not sure anymore if there is such a thing as TOO MUCH security.

Most importantly, everyone, just be safe. Damaged/stolen equipment can be a game changer, but inanimate objects ARE replaceable - you're not.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
im writing a proffessional paper on the workins of the arrastra, in hopes that folks studying these unique contrivances will have a better understanding of how they work.
just hoping my health stay with me till i finish it, still have another couple years to run the mill before we can say we are pro at it and know enough to write a paper propper.

GT....

Hmm...somehow I didn't see this post earlier. :violent1:

Haven't studied much about them, so will be very interesting to read your final paper! Will it be posted on Tnet?

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...a real operation with paper on it.
What??

Regardless of whether you have a hard rock or placer operation, you have to be careful what and how much information you allow out online - or anywhere else for that matter. In old movies, there were always lots of claim jumpers. Same holds true today. There are people who will work hard to gain your trust, only to later stab you in the back. On another mining forum recently, there was a notice about miner who had their trommel stolen. The trommel was in a secured area with a tall fence, AND had an excavator situated so that the trommel could not be taken away. Someone broke into the area, hot-wired the excavator and stole the trommel.

About 3 months ago there was another member who had all of his equipment stolen from off his claim. We're talking about this guy's livelihood!! It's not a game - it's real life. There are (and always will be) bad people out there. Having the eco-terrorists out there and the gov't suffocation doesn't help matters, either.

It's not that people don't want to help others. But often times, they do so at their own peril.

Alright come on now guys... you think these things are done by fellow miners? You just said it yourself, they dont have time for anything but their own operation much reconning and stealing others... Trommel? "Hey george isn't that our trommel on yonder hill someone stole last night?" Like how are you going to be discrete about firing it up? let alone transport down any road... It makes NO sense.

What does make sense however is eco-terrorists and rogue federal agents with an agenda, seems the stolen equipment (be they dredge, trommel, heavy machinery) all vanish never being sold or seen again. Most likely they are destroyed for scrape and the $$ goes into the fed's coffers.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most miners being victomized and robbed is most likely from punks, hobos and degenerate tweekers.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In gold bearing areas....not everyone who digs is an ethical miner...When I first got to the area here someone vandalized some equipment I had stashed. I had seen a couple holes that looked pretty fresh. The area wasn't under claim so I just did my thing. After a couple weeks some one broke up some of my stuff and left it out as an obvious message. they took some of my stuff too.
I left a few messages of my own. and now the area is claimed. I havn't had anymore issues with vandalism just someone highgrading with a detector. I still think it was territorial. They didn't find me because of pictures.Just came across my digs.
We definetly have some "Tweakers" in the area who grew up here know what to look for as far as gold goes but, will rip you off or high grade you if the opportunity presents itself. And will search out digs based on rumor of your operation. I gaurantee if you live in a gold bearing area you have some too!!
They may dig for gold but, I can't call them prospectors.
Be careful out there!

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
The three times most of my gear and tools were stolen the culprits were metal detectorists.This was confirmed by the unfilled dig holes that were left behind.Hell,they even took my white five gallon buckets.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea the highgader we had left all his holes...missed tatgets too. And holes within feet of our monument.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a few years back I had an area "in My Canyon" that I frequented, I had a pots and pans stash a considerable distance up hill from the camp, somewhat concealed under a larger hunk of the mountain that had fallen downhill but stopped just before the last plunge.

One year, on my first trip in, I hiked the 3.5 hours down/up/down to the site. As I came in off of the trail I began to notice a bunch of shot up pots and pans, it was the coffee pot that caught my attention as it was an obvious giveaway that this stuff was all mine from my stash.

That really shook me up! I've carried for many years, an insurance policy in my left armpit, due to the many bears in the area that arrived there with a knowledge that humans carry food and hence that is why they have attacked many of my camps till I started bringing in a steel cable to hang my food from. Anyway - the shot up pots and pans really caused me to consider that I never wanted to walk in on this situation as obviously these folks were armed and were unthinking about other folk's property. In a situation like that human pride versus being caught in the act reactions could prevail and I did NOT want to be involved in that situation.

Since then I've made it a practice to camp up and away from any trails and since then the only animate objects digging up my stash has been the bears, darn good noses on those critters! Anyone found destroying some other persons gear will be guilty on the spot! This is not a situation I ever want to walk in on and yet when others Choose to do this to a strangers gear, they open the door to all possibilities from that moment on. Be careful "out there" with your own choices as the results will last you for the rest of your lives!.........................63bkpkr

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Oak has a big op...he has one of those ops that has paperwork...one of those ops that you constantly hear on forums as NON EXISTANT...or not possible to even have . Yet he has it. and is running it like a pro!!! and boy does he have some great gold to show for his efforts. I'd like to go see it in person...maybe this summer ...Hows that sound Oak...Hint Hint.....pleaaasssseeee:thumbsup:.... maybe if you ask him nice you ca go see in person.

Goldwasher

Our op is a small and mechanized. Adding some new to us equipment, and hoping to double our yardage. love to share some pics of our operations, but we are contract mining on patented ground of a very old claim. We alson have a continious problem with highgraders. Can't quite catch them on the game cams yet, it would appear they know we are looking and change their point of entry on each visit. Goldwasher, would love to have you visit, but so far the claimholder has held steadfast on the no visitor clause, but we continue to work towards some visitation. Still repairing equipment that we broke last year. Hoped to be running by this weekend, but have been harvesting hay 24 hours a day for the last month with my kids.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good times oak.....and I totally understand the no visitation...and actually expect it....
Disclaimer....I consider anything more than what I do "BIG"... :)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright come on now guys... you think these things are done by fellow miners? You just said it yourself, they dont have time for anything but their own operation much reconning and stealing others...

Most likely they are destroyed for scrape...

Who said anything about it being other miners? The trommel was stolen from an area that is light on law enforcement, yet has ample drug use. The general consensus was that they "guessed" it had been broken down for scrap. Either way, it's not where it's supposed to be.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
My son working on a pond with our newest aquistion.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
well it seems this thread got way off track, started out to be about work !!!!

still trying to get my site together once i get i back up i will put some good mining stuff on over their,
that way i dont get called out for not being knowledgeable about the world of thievery and mining.

i really do this stuff every day of my life, live eat n breath rock mining for gold n silver on the small scale have been for years now.
so lets hope the next time i start a thread it stays the course instead wondering off into Geber land.
GT...............

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My partners and i just secured some good claims near Ridgecrest, mostly placer with some lode potential. I'll post a story and pics as soon as i get my program up and running.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My partners and i just secured some good claims near Ridgecrest, mostly placer with some lode potential. I'll post a story and pics as soon as i get my program up and running.

Good to hear from ya rob, my first hardrock gold find came from randsburg was swingin my bleeper in holes got an oz in a bunch of pieces, was grubstakin my way to alaska.
hope youall have good luck as there still some decent hardrock up that way you never know you might hit it.

Oakview, no worrys buddy still havnt got ahold of ole Fullpan.

Gt..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread