First Big One of the year

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well nephew did you grill it over the fire or pan fry it with butter and garlic? Inquireing minds wanna know! :) and Oh yea that's a nice picker by the way!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second russau's question and congrats on the picker! At first I thought the buzzer was on a sluice box and then as the camera panned back to reveal the truck tail gate the size of the snake became more apparent. I had a rattler skin tanned once and it will make a fine wall hanging or hat band..................63bkpkr

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice T...obviously he can't take a big rock to the head can he

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was expecting a nice big nugget! Not a BIG AZZ SNAKE! Glad I live in NH! We have garter snakes and mosquitoes!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang, he is pretty big, looks like a good meal. :)

OP
OP
TAKODA

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well nephew did you grill it over the fire or pan fry it with butter and garlic? Inquireing minds wanna know! :) and Oh yea that's a nice picker by the way!!

I'll tell ya Paw-Paw ...... I've tried some deep fried rattlesnake . It's just the snake part I can't get past . I'll eat a lot of things but snake is gona be at the bottom of the menu . I'd have to get powerful hungry to start eat'n me some snakes on a regular basis . I tossed this one out in the woods . The only reason I took a pic of it was because I was in sight of the truck when I shot it . I was just out to see if I could use an old logging road to get a shorter hike to a different side of a rock run I've been on for awhile . It was already dark and I saw it with my hat light laying in the middle of the road . After I killed it I happen to think about taking a pic to show , took it to the truck and layed him out . He's close to a 4 footer , the tailgate is 4 feet across . He ain't the thickest one I've ever killed but he's got fair length . I've killed some in the 5 foot range . I didn't eat them either . :laughing7:

By the way ........ that picker only weighs 10.8 grains but it has a little character I thought .

God Bless , Paw-Paw . :hello:

OP
OP
TAKODA

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I second russau's question and congrats on the picker! At first I thought the buzzer was on a sluice box and then as the camera panned back to reveal the truck tail gate the size of the snake became more apparent. I had a rattler skin tanned once and it will make a fine wall hanging or hat band..................63bkpkr

Hope your doing well 63 .... :hello:

OP
OP
TAKODA

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was expecting a nice big nugget! Not a BIG AZZ SNAKE! Glad I live in NH! We have garter snakes and mosquitoes!

You know ........ I should have typed " snake " in the title now that you mention it . It was late ....... and it is my first big rattler of the year . Guess I just thought first big one . My bad . I probably shoudn't have put it on the " Gold Prospecting " forum at all . I just figured we all run into them hunt'n gold and in this case it was convenient to get a good pic . The gate keepers can just delete it out if needs be . No harm No foul . Sorry to mislead anyone .
:coffee2:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GW , I shot it with a .38 snake shot from my 357 around 5 feet away .
yea, it looked like a clean kill. I carry a 1911 so my snake load is a round dumped just under and in front i let whatever gets thrown back up at ol' slithers do the work. One way or the other they head the other way. I won't kill em unless i have to and that has been several years now....and heck no I won't eat anything that hauls around poison all day and eats mice....ick.....only to survive would I and I would be paranoid the whole time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread