nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like it's time to find a new place to mine. My mining partner has turned. One hot spot we had we both agreed to keep to ourselves just sluice it to make it last for the season. It has plenty of gold well HAD plenty! I went up this week-end to mine with him I get there OMG! He's down there got 3 dredges going sucking dirt like mad men. I'm trying to dig and their telling me where to go as soon as I got onto some they jump right in and take over. Seems like he just wants to get everything all at once. I know he's been there a couple of times with out me no biggie had back issues. I did manage to squeak out a half of a gram. I kinda feel betrayed by him going back on his word but that is human nature. The only problem I have now is I have to find another river no matter where I go on the Wild Am. I'll be seen and that spot will be gone also. He's jumped a couple other spots after seeing some one else in a spot. Seems like greed has got the best of him. Advice? Should I cut ties and run I feel bad cause I like him as a person but mining now is a different story.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The insidious fever strikes yet again, greed over need is sickening to see. Lost at least 6- 20+ year associates to the disease. Pitiful fools use ya like tools but now MINE all mine is my mantra as I listen to that F'M' tune-John

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The greed part no biggie! What really tweaks me is he knows I'm disabled and I like to stay close to my truck incase something happens. Access is important I can't hike any great distance. And the lack of respect. I just enjoy being at the river. I like finding gold as much as the next but it is just a hobby for me. My health doesn't allow for much more.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nh.nugget, that last input of yours brought additional meaning to the thread, the person you shared with is an unthinking soul that needs forgiving and stepping away from as they cannot be trusted.

Next, finding another spot with your physical challenges might cause you to step out of your comfort zone. I would suggest two things: First get yourself as physically strong as possible and keep that fitness up all year long. Second I would consider some sort of emergency GPS unit, such as a SPOT Messenger but there are others, to carry with you in case something goes wrong.

Being strong gets you in and out of the rugged places most of the time. The GPS unit gets you out when you cannot get yourself out!
They are pricy but worth every penny when the rescue crew can readily and easily find and get to you. I know this for a fact as I've used my SPOT once when I really needed it, when I made a bad choice and put myself in harms way. These are just suggestions but both have kept me going safely along many a path in extremely remote country. Best of success with all of your adventures..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bkpkr, I know I will find another place. I do stay fit as much as possible, as my limitations allow. I do have GPS just in case. From now on I'll take my wife as she now likes to mine also. Then I can show the other guy see what you missed in a photo on his phone! I'm not going to get in his face just won't go mining with him any more will have other things to do.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have multiple secret spot agreements among many great friends some that I discovered and some that they discovered. Those agreements are made on our friendship and our word and the word is mums the word. No amount of gold is worth the loss of a good friendship and if your partner violated the agreement he made the choice of what is. Now there is really only two choices for you. His picture becomes your next dartboard or he goes in the column of people to never have a beer with again.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was told a long time ago if you can truly count all of your friends on one hand. you have done some thing that most cant say!

Bill

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told a long time ago if you can truly count all of your friends on one hand. you have done some thing that most cant say!

Bill

That's so true I've always had a small tight group of friends. we'd die for each other if necessary!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Dig a big hole and boot his butt into it.....................

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I Feel for you NH I had a buddy do the same thing to me if I was on gold he would just move his dredge over and jump in my hole.Funny thing is he couldnt catch gold with his dredge if it was 1 pound nuggets. Sad to say we are no longer friends. I would let him know you are no longer interested in mining with him and fill my holes when I left so he will have to muck it out to drop in. Dont tell him your finding anything but by all means dont give up your spot because of him. Karma will take care of him.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny, I think he's doing it because I'm more patient. I stay on a spot my sluice has short V mat so you see the gold right away. His has tall V mat so you don't see it as fast so he's bouncing around like a frog on a hot plate not getting any gold. usually I do get more than he does. LOL! Myself I'll just move on don't need confrontation between my health and temper it's just not worth it. There's more gold up there.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have multiple secret spot agreements among many great friends some that I discovered and some that they discovered. Those agreements are made on our friendship and our word and the word is mums the word. No amount of gold is worth the loss of a good friendship and if your partner violated the agreement he made the choice of what is. Now there is really only two choices for you. His picture becomes your next dartboard or he goes in the column of people to never have a beer with again.

Yep... I've never had an issue putting Joe on a spot...because I know he's a great guy and I trust him.
And any info he shares with me stays with me. He knows he is welcome to dig my claim and is a great sniping buddy.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I feel for you NH. A promise is a promise, I to have lost friends because of the fever, at least 8. Gold fever can destroy any friendship. Seen it happen just over a few flakes of gold. I am going threw the same situation over here In Washington state, I shared info to 3 guys on where to mine with certain promises last year, 2 of them kept there promise but one didn't, I toil with what I should do with him and the guy he shared the info with, it is hard when they post videos here on the Tn of them mining that special place " Honey Hole " they call it. Good luck

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for you NH. A promise is a promise, I to have lost friends because of the fever, at least 8. Gold fever can destroy any friendship. Seen it happen just over a few flakes of gold. I am going threw the same situation over here In Washington state, I shared info to 3 guys on where to mine with certain promises last year, 2 of them kept there promise but one didn't, I toil with what I should do with him and the guy he shared the info with, it is hard when they post videos here on the Tn of them mining that special place " Honey Hole " they call it. Good luck

Ed, I dont want you to read this in a confrontational tone. But I want to set the record straight. You seem like a decent dude and I like you. You are a wealth of knowledge and I hope one day I can dig with you. I wish I could have been digging back in the day with you. It feels like I am just out picking up the scraps of what you guys in the 90's and early 00's.

Your "secret" was always safe. I've told you and he has told you that I was digging that river long before we met. I knew of that spot long before I ever sunk shovel 1 in the dirt with him. As a matter of fact, it was the second place I ever dug for gold in 2012 if I remember correctly back when I had a crappy little stream sluice that wouldnt catch a cold in the water. I have called that spot my "honey hole" since the first time I went there. It was the first time I ever found gold.

The first time we went to that spot together, it was my idea, I was excited to be digging with someone for the first time. I was still learning and it was the only place I actually got gold from. The individual you are referencing had nothing to do with it. It wasnt until the day was over that he mentioned someone had taken him there before.

The spot you are referencing, the "honey hole" is one of the most well known "secrets" in the area. I found it by accident after a long day of failure working that side of the river. In the local prospecting community it has a lot of different names. Its like saying "the secret ingredient of beer is......hops". EVERYONE that is serious about prospecting knows that spot. The only thing that keeps people away is the work it takes to get to that spot or the risk you have to take coming in the other way.

And concerning the videos I post here, I look at prospecting a little different than some. I want to get people out there digging. The more people I get out there and can put gold in their pan, the more people WE have to fight the eco nazi's. I will take anyone out and show them how to look, find and dig that shiny stuff up. I want to share this hobby. Now even I have a couple spots I dont like to film at. I have first hand seen the repercussions of my videos. One of the spots I have dug was moved in on and made a mess of. I sat there and got mad and frustrated and then I remembered that every place I dig is accessible to anyone. I dont have a claim on any of my dig spots, I dont own any rights to the land. That gold belongs to anyone that is willing to get out there and dig for it.

It honestly bothers my buddy that you are mad at him about something he had no control over. He didnt say "let me show you this hot spot". It was me saying "hey I found gold over here, lets go dig there". If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at me. I am the one with the fever. I am the one that wants to go out and move yards of dirt in a day. And I am the one that wants to share my silly adventures with everyone.

So please, stop being mad at him over any of this. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at me. I am the one filming, I am the one that wants to get out there and move mountains of dirt and find piles of gold. He just wants to be out there having fun.

In conclusion, I hold no ill will towards you and neither does he, but it bothers him that you are mad at him for things he didnt do. The prospecting community here is a very small one, there are no secrets here. Unless you have a claim, its anyones gold. Like I said, I'm not trying to be confrontational, I just want the record straight.

Bronze
AKA- SluiceGoose

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread