Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg image.jpeg

So I've been prospecting all week and this is what I've been finding. I don't think it's gold. It doesn't behave like gold. It is mostly malleable. It does not sink all the way to the bottom. Up close it looks like gold with a reddish tint. I'm wondering if it is an 18 karat gold with 25% copper or red gold. That's what my landlord said but I'm not sure about his qualifications.

Upvote 0

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looks like mica. rub it between your fingers, does it flake apart?

OP
OP
H

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not flake. And when I take a pin to it, it goes right through like butter and does not shatter.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At least lucky you is getting out prospecting and finding something.

Hope you hit the mother load ... :hello2:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1319405 View attachment 1319405

So I've been prospecting all week and this is what I've been finding. I don't think it's gold. It doesn't behave like gold. It is mostly malleable. It does not sink all the way to the bottom. Up close it looks like gold with a reddish tint. I'm wondering if it is an 18 karat gold with 25% copper or red gold. That's what my landlord said but I'm not sure about his qualifications.

When you say it "does not sink all the way to the bottom", is that when it is in the vial or does it ride on top of the other concentrates in the pan? In either case it does not sound like it is metal, especially gold, copper or some mixture of them. Those metals are very dense and will immediately sink in water or will displace just about all other material normally found in concentrates in a pan.

Good luck.

OP
OP
H

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's on top of the black sand and not underneath it. It sinks below all other material though.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've seen mica that acts just as you describe.

i've had it in gold, silver, and copper colors. a little heavier than normal mica, sits on black sand but sinks under everything els. as it does have those metals as impurities. that looks like the same stuff. it acts much more malleable than normal mica too

sadly the amount of PM's is quite low.

roasting it didn't yield anything. mica is a silicate. takes a very high temp to get it to melt.

heat a piece up hot does it expand?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's Biotite Mica.

Normally I wouldn't even attempt to guess minerals from a blurry photo but I've handled tons of this stuff and the crystal form is clearly seen in the photos. The description of how it acts in the pan and how it bends clinches the ID.

Heavy Pans

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thin gold flakes also bend as gold is mallable when paper thin also ...sooooooo hit with a streak test(which uses nitric also)-John

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also thin flakes of gold can also float just above black sand if you have ozone treated tap water. Pick them up with an eyedropper and drop them, and they should settle down and stay put. The dropper knocks the microbubbles off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread