Is none motorized dredging or high banking legal in California

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hand powered and gravity is still in the game .

and it's not that you can't pump water with an engine. you just can't power anything with it.

you can still run a hookah. like it were a non propelled boat.

you could probably get away just dumping water into a sluice with a pump, but that's it.

and even then leo will likely bug you.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
hand powered and gravity is still in the game .

you could probably get away just dumping water into a sluice with a pump, but that's it.

and even then leo will likely bug you.
Sounds like your using the title of LEO kinda loosely! More than likely youd be harassed by unknowing , greenie know-it -all that likes to but their nose into others interests. True LEOs would listen to you BEFORE they would stop you for what their boss thinks he knows what the law SHOULD say/mean.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in CA, I can see where an LEO would question a water wheel sluice as "mechanized". The regs are intenionally open to interpretation and the obvious intent was to "be vague, sieze and prosecute" any form of mining save hands and pans. Only gamble with what you care to lose. :sadsmiley:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see where some hack could interpret Mechanized to mean anything that gives a man a mechanical advantage..shovels,levers, bars, pans, etc. . Seize and prosecute. . I costs them nothing. It's all on your dime to prove your innocence.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The definition they hang there hat on is..any motor used in the assistance of gold recovery...that's how they will get out of banning generators...boats..jetskis...cars....a hook has a motor and is used for gold recovery they will use that....
If it's allowed to happen by land users that is.there is enough real law and case law that goes against all of these over reaching regs....the lack of focus is on the part of the miners and the organization's people are hoping will help

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I have interpreted what the rules are is no dredging by any means as it may stir up nutrients that the fish would likely eat and enjoy and you as the dredger might steal what the Govt. hasn't gotten their hands on yet in the rivers.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GW......... The definition they hang there hat on is..any motor used in the assistance of gold recovery...that's how they will get out of banning generators...boats..jetskis...cars....a hook has a motor and is used for gold recovery they will use that....

How do you draw this conclusion? Are u just talking about instream mining? Most certainly doesn't appear that way..

Also let me point out I use an motorized hookah. Ive use it on wild and scenic rivers Ive use it at state parks.. Am I breaking the law? enlighten me? or you just spreading your thoughts as facts? maybe hanging around the AMRA crowd too much?

Your opinion is preposterous and I see no actual evidence to support your statement..

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Suction-Dredge-Permits

Suction Dredge Permits

Page updated 1/15/2016
Current Status

The use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment, otherwise known as suction dredging, is currently prohibited and unlawful throughout California.

Under new state law effective January 1, 2016, the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment is defined to mean the use of a mechanized or motorized system for removing or assisting in the removal of, or the processing of, material from the bed, bank, or channel of a river, stream, or lake in order to recover minerals.

DFW considers a hookah a motorized system that aids in the recovery of gold as is banned as per the new law

ratled

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GW......... The definition they hang there hat on is..any motor used in the assistance of gold recovery...that's how they will get out of banning generators...boats..jetskis...cars....a hook has a motor and is used for gold recovery they will use that....

How do you draw this conclusion? Are u just talking about instream mining? Most certainly doesn't appear that way..

Also let me point out I use an motorized hookah. Ive use it on wild and scenic rivers Ive use it at state parks.. Am I breaking the law? enlighten me? or you just spreading your thoughts as facts? maybe hanging around the AMRA crowd too much?

Your opinion is preposterous and I see no actual evidence to support your statement..

Victor...I'm sarcastic and have a dry sense of humor.

I say stopping miners from using anything mororized...by say putting it in a " regulation"....and telling people it is unlawful is shady and in its self technically illegal....so no I am absolutely not saying you are being unlawful doing so.
I am saying that if the non motorized rule sticks then technically if there has been no real evidence that in stream mining causes a negative impact and it literally is a tactic....."they use motors" "let's ban motors"...read THEIR definition...then yes you are no different in THEIR eyes...and it could be used against you.

And you or anyone....and I mean it fellas chime in if you believe I am anti mining...anti dredging...anti high banking ,seeanti trommel....um not anti anything mining related because I know in the big scheme of things...it is a push of ideology...and people making money to shut down small scale mining. Please chew me out for trying to stop YOU or telling you that you can't do something or for telling you about how you make poor decisions with who you support... please do so!!! ( and by all means show me where I have ever said such a thing)

I will say it for the millionth time I have never been a member of a club or rights group...and no I most definitely have not been hanging out with them and it's not because I don't like them or anything...it is because I am extremely busy....

Hey Victor did you know that it is illegal to sell gold that you didn't find on your claim or one you have rights to dig on?............

I honestly didn't know that until recently....oops my bad for some past discretions...oh well...luckily I have been working only our claim for a while now...and have plans for more.

In fact I'm going to join gpaa..for access and I'm going to sell the gold from there too....legally ...it's pretty ironic considering the high horse you ride all the time.....how's your claim going I know you looking into it.

Like I have asked before...how has the anti mining crowd or the pro mining crowd that you despise so much affected anything you are currently doing to recover gold?

I've been waiting for an answer a long time...I don't think you have one.

I regret apologizing to you and editing some of my posts the other day as I've never done that before.

You can kick slippery rocks!!!!!

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DFW considers a hookah a motorized system that aids in the recovery of gold as is banned as per the new law?
Evidence to support that statement?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the meetings that I have been in on CA Suction dredging with DFW. DFW has instructed all DFW LEO's as to what is and is not covered under the new law.

ratled

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the meetings that I have been in on CA Suction dredging with DFW. DFW has instructed all DFW LEO's as to what is and is not covered under the new law.

ratled

ANY REAL Evidence to support your claims? Any at all?

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeap... they've over interpreted the law.

if you were to challenge them in court with a decent lawyer, and force them to look at the law code. with proper english as it is written. they would likely lose.

it would be found they can't ban a motor if it has no involvement with a "dredge". or something that "processes" (washplant, crashbox).

pumping air/water with a machine is "NOT" illegal. but... they are butts:BangHead:

and they will tell you it is.

I think goldwasher covered what else I would have to say.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thankfully where I go you would likely find bigfoot before you found me.:laughing7:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not saying anything is FACT!! I am merely making a point.....that was in favor of miners.

Victor for like the fifth time at least do you care to answer my question

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010

ratled

Do they have it in writing anywhere in their rules and regs? As I still use a 2 inch pump for my power sluice...
Cause I have the water rights.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread