Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for any info in regards to
how to build or whether or not someone has done this before.
Looking to build a small hopper with a grizzly on it that will overhang a cliff, there will be drain pipe attached to the bottom of the hopper and it has to go about 250 ft to the bottom. Will shovel into it with a shovel, material will drop out into the back of a truck and be hauled to a nearby wash plant.

Attachments

• 1465452511799.jpg
    1465452511799.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You'll need a pretty good sized trailer just to haul that
much pipe (twenty 10' sections of ? sized PVC), not to
mention the challenge of packing it up that slope to assemble
the chute.

Can it be done? I'm sure it can...but if it were me I believe I'd
try to figure another method.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Im assumeing that you've already tested this ground and its got value ......For myself , it would have to be really good ground for all that work! Ive seen pictures of that type of operation BUT on a lower height. At 250 feet that material will be really traveling when it would hit that bed and dent the snot out of it. ive also seen some construction people using a lightweight plastic tube maybe 24 inch diameter hanging out of windows for multiple story buildings to get their scrape to a dumpster. PVC would be too costly and way to heavy to hang that high and support it.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
250 ft roll of corrugated drain pipe, 4 or 6 inch?

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will pay, see pic, less than 20 buckets. I can drive right to where I'm going to dig but the problem is going back down with a loaded truck, steep off camber road.

Attachments

• 1465468594263.jpg
    1465468594263.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 1465468613646.jpg
    1465468613646.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 1465468638596.jpg
    1465468638596.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 103

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What size will the grizzly be classifying down to?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put on new brakes and recheck emergency brakes too. DANGEROUS to say the least as THAT is a fall neither you or your truck will survive. I understand the logic of not shoveling out the truck BUT rental dump trailers readily available for a few bucks a day...jus' sayn'-lotza luck-John

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if it is slow and careful that is required on the road then I would get a Muck Truck before I would spend money on some slide.

Muck Trucks come in all sizes, I would just go for something small that can haul about 1.5 yards at a time. I would also search for one sitting on tracks as well. A slide chances are will not be used again: a muck truck can be. New they do not cost that much and used they are really cheap.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I understand steep and offcamber road so that sounds not so good to me. I'm thinking the chute idea is on the right track, maybe with a hopper on the lower end to absorb the impact. What a wonderful problem to solve that you have!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe you could find some old corrugated roofing, I think standard length is 16' so you would need 16 sheets
hb20tp08-01-main.jpg

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
It will pay, see pic, less than 20 buckets. I can drive right to where I'm going to dig but the problem is going back down with a loaded truck, steep off camber road.

Since you can drive to the dig site can you set up a dry washer or some sort of processing equipment?
If so run that and transport your cons......... I would rather carry the cons from those 20 buckets than carry the 20 buckets.....:laughing7:

This would also reduce your overhead in hauling material, not to mention the time spent in transporting the material which means driving instead of digging.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
keep us posted,sound like a good place.
brad

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry washer...

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe an overhead high line to lower a container of cons similar to a zip line or the reverse of a high lead logging show? (The picture of that pan has got me screwed up and I need to get back to work!!!)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen it done Jog but there are a lot of variables to consider. The main of these is the size that the grizzly is classifying the materials down to. You're going to want the diameter of your pipe to be AT LEAST 2-1/2 to 3X larger and even then if you feed it to fast you stand the chance of plugging it all up. Of course you know that it will clog up in the most inaccessible part of the setup.

The tin roofing idea that Winners brought up is a good one. Provided that you have a steep enough slope, you don't have to go all the way from top to bottom. Make a ramp from the tin that will get the materials far enough away from the face so they'll clear all the way down and just let gravity do its thing.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would lean toward the flume or zipline. This is eastern OR I'm assuming? That's some nice gold. So this is a bench deposit 250 ft above the river? Can you tell more about the deposit? I'm interested so I can know how to look for those sorts of things.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you can drive to the dig site can you set up a dry washer or some sort of processing equipment?
If so run that and transport your cons......... I would rather carry the cons from those 20 buckets than carry the 20 buckets.....:laughing7:

This would also reduce your overhead in hauling material, not to mention the time spent in transporting the material which means driving instead of digging.

Have thought about a dry washer but usually to damp just under the service. To many thunderstorms.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen it done Jog but there are a lot of variables to consider. The main of these is the size that the grizzly is classifying the materials down to. You're going to want the diameter of your pipe to be AT LEAST 2-1/2 to 3X larger and even then if you feed it to fast you stand the chance of plugging it all up. Of course you know that it will clog up in the most inaccessible part of the setup.

The tin roofing idea that Winners brought up is a good one. Provided that you have a steep enough slope, you don't have to go all the way from top to bottom. Make a ramp from the tin that will get the materials far enough away from the face so they'll clear all the way down and just let gravity do its thing.

Was thinking of 4 inch so I wouldn't end up with a lot of splices in my tubing, would like to go six but so far haven't found lengths over 100 ft.
Would probably set the grizzly up for 1 inch or less, would test oversize with MD.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would lean toward the flume or zipline. This is eastern OR I'm assuming? That's some nice gold. So this is a bench deposit 250 ft above the river? Can you tell more about the deposit? I'm interested so I can know how to look for those sorts of things.

Yes, it's in Oregon. It's an an old hydraulic mine.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Panamint Mts , the old timers had zip lines, flumes,ect. on the sides of the cliffs. they would sent ore down that way. How they managed to build some of those things is a testament to their guts and determination. Muy macho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions