Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go with the standard grizzly. If you have gold in NH so large that it won't go through a standard grizzly, it will get hung up on the grizzly bars and you can just pick it off with your fingers.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might want to rethink going for a prospector. Most of the time if your in the white mountains. Hard to get enought water flow most of the time.I have a 36" prospector and a 30" sniper. I use the sniper most of the time. Much easier to set up. But the 36" prospector is a beast you can feed it as fast as you can shovel. And the deck will clear real fast. But give it a little more thought. And match the bazooka that will match you needs. If the water flow is down the prospector. Will need some dam building to get the right flow. Where as the sniper won"t need as much work to set up. And good luck with what ever you chose.
'

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great choice!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're prospecting in a river, water flow for the BGT Prospector won't be a problem. If your in a stream, water flow might be a problem sometimes, so when you can afford it get the Sniper and the Prospector for better flexibility in regards to available water flow.

As for the standard or large size grizzly, it would depend on the gravel size in your area. The larger sized grizzly will pack up quickly will large rocks if your water flow is too slow.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't own one, so I skipped this thread for a bit but you're getting good advice from the ones who do. I made a VERY cheap copy of a BGT and it worked great when I put it in a spot that had been set up before specifically for the BGT and the required water flow.

The next time I tried my sluice, the water was slower and my 1/2 classified piled up like a cow pie inside the cage. It would have mandated a lot of dam work to make it function where I needed it to be. That said...go with the flow...really can't have too much flow if you're able to shovel along side it. Good luck!

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well most of the time, I do have good water flow. I'm talking about places like Tunnel Brook, Baker, Wild AM, places like that. But to be on the safe side, I just might go with the 30" Sniper. Thanks for the help, fellers... :)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The prospector also needs an area with a steeper drop. To get the right angle. Most of the gold is in the flater areas. So this will make it harder to set up. And can be a pain. Also the sniper is much lighter to carry. And it will get the job done. Having both is great. If you can afford both.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered the 30" Sniper. Now we wait... *blink blink*

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
al at window.jpg :icon_thumright:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you be happy with your choose. The water levels are dropping fast. Usually can set it up pretty fast. Just remember not to steep of an angle. And best of luck.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just ordered the 30" Sniper. Now we wait... *blink blink*

Good choice, I picked up a 36" heavy grissly prospector and loved it. Only problem was it was so big and heavy I ended up picking up the 30" sniper and its all I use now. I can still run way more material through the sniper than I ever could with my a52 that never gets used either anymore.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a 36 inch prospector does not require any more flow then a 30 inch prospector, if anything it would be less.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a 36 inch prospector does not require any more flow then a 30 inch prospector, if anything it would be less.

Good point. The larger flare means you need a little less water. However being longer can make finding a good spot to set it up just a bit more difficult.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checked my email and it has been shipped. Can't wait to get it in the water!

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best of luck. And welcome to the club.

RobertE

Greenie
Dec 18, 2015
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, I just ordered a sniper too, I was wondering...can you use them completely submerged?

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi guys, I just ordered a sniper too, I was wondering...can you use them completely submerged?

Best not to. You're likely to lose fine gold if you do.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes you can. Doesn't affect actual gold recovery in the field from what I can tell. I've only done it in fast water.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as long as you have the flow. other wise your material will clog up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions