Ive Never been to Idaho but finally get the chance..... Really need some clues.....

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will be there in early July visiting 2 of my daughters on my 1st vacation in 4 years. 1 I'm very close to but haven't seen in 4 years, the other gave me a grandson 6 months ago I get to finally meet :hello:
Stop 1 is in Moscow for at least 3 days.....grandson and gold, perfect :icon_thumleft:
Stop 2 is in Mountain Home for another 3-4 days to see my outdoor girl for some whistle pig hunting, fly fishing for trout and of course GOLD :icon_thumright:
I expect 90* plus temps so probably won't do much panning or sluicing but would love to bring home a flake or two to show for the trip. I'm also going to be looking for a few old mines and ghost towns I found on google earth to take pictures and maybe metal detect a bit if I get out early enough in the day.
Will be packing snake shot in the pistol just in case (scared sh*tless icon here).
Any suggestions for locations to pan and take pictures are welcome.....Thanks:icon_thumleft:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike try the Snake.. Up north to Featherville the Boise Rivers have decent gold. Way south is Silver City . G/L

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My home town is Mountain Home but I haven't been back since the early 90's. That said, there should be some left near Warren ID where I spent many summers. Just look for claims on LM first. The gold in my avatar is from Warren. Good luck and please let us know how it goes mike!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can pan the top few inches of gravels every year and almost always get some color out of Grimes creek pretty much anywhere in the river (it's all accessible) Just take Highway 21 up, find a spot near the river and do some panning.
Cheers,

Skippy

Grimes is accessible along Hwy 21 but it's all either claimed or private land. I hope no one takes your advice to "find a spot near the river and do some panning".

Check out the area before you go. No sense in thinking your going to be enjoying your vacation only to spend the day explaining to the sheriff or an irate property owner why you are trespassing.

Lots of other places to go. Enjoy your vacation. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Mike ,do your due diligence ! There are many miles of the Payette that are open also.

OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply's.

I've been doing a lot of research on land matters and trying to decipher the regs. I'm just taking my pan, a classifier and my A.M. sluice.....just in case. Also my detector for any opportune situations.

No matter what, I'm going to do some exploring and have fun no matter what :laughing7:

Thanks again, Mike

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MIke,
I've an XLT sitting in its box though the dust has not accumulated on it due to several moves since its last use in NorCal. On the White's Blog there was a fellow that offered some specialized settings to help the coin/jewellery hunter and he may have something there for prospecting though I don't think the machine was ever built for true prospecting. My GMT does a great job out in the mineralized hills.

I'd say your trip will be golden as visiting with all of the children (no matter how old they are they are still your children) as well as the Grandson will be a worthwhile trip! Bring some Sun shade as no sense cooking your brains. Not sure what the snakes are like where you are going but listen, look and be wise about going around shade plants in the heat of the day, the snakes curl up under anything that offers shade even single leaf water plants. Even .22 bird shot will calm a snake down at least to give one a few seconds to look around for more snakes and then move carefully back. .44 or .45 Colt bird shot works even better but the .22 fly speck bird shot Smarts! Have a great trip!...............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions