My talks with BLM in Colorado!

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is my dealings with BLM in Colorado.

I sent.

Dear Field Office Manager,

I'm looking to plan a few trips with my daughter this summer to CO to do some gold prospecting. We plan on panning and using a small sluice box. I'm just a bit confused with Colorado BLM regulations as each field office seems different.

In Little Snake Field Office jurisdiction.

What are your regulations with gold panning and using a small sluice box?

I have small sluice box that is 12" wide by 36" long with an area that captures material at 12"x24" it is not motorized or otherwise mechanical.

I also have a small machine like a "gold cube" which helps with panning. It is much smaller than a gold cube but is in fact mechanical. I do not use it in the river water at all and it doesn't dump tailings into river waters. It is a small self contained unit that runs using an electric pump and I plug it into my truck trailer plug or a 12v battery pack for power. My machine also recirculates its own water. It also makes no noise and wouldn't disturb animals like gas engines do. My equipment is not like the big loud machines people use. Using it all together we really only look for fine gold, garnets and other neat gems my daughter and I collect.

My plan is to collect and look for placers in dirt gravels around the little snake river on BLM public land. We do not intend to disturb or otherwise disrupt or damage any natural environment we explore together. If we dig small holes we will surely fill them up as if we weren't there. We really don't have an idea where we want to go just yet and we're hoping your office could help us find a place in your district that is both very pretty, where we can roam around and just spend time together and enjoy nature. I know to also stay off people's claims.

Do I need a permit for this type of activity? I compared Little Snake to Grand Junction field office which seems to require a permit because I have a sluice box.

We are not interested in doing mining claims or other activities like that. We just like rocks and geology and finding neat stuff together.

Would this be considered recreational prospecting in your jurisdiction and not require a permit?

Also is a permit even needed should I keep my other equipment like the sluice or electric classifier out of the water? They are self contained and can stay in the back of my truck or at a camp site.

Here in Utah BLM and NFS don't mind if you use mechanical means so long as it's not disturbing nature or people and stay out of the water.

Just wondering what the rules are as I teach them to my daughter too!

Thanks!

Dallas Brown

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It will get there a whole lot faster when people stop standing up for there rights.
I find it hard to compare metal detecting to mining.
Guess I should have been a little more clear. In mining (placer), if you go on vacation to an area you know nothing about, and you want to find out the rules and regs, AND if you don't have access to internet, etc, what do you do? You call and ask.

In metal detecting, if you go on vacation to an area you know nothing about, and you want to find out the rules and regs, AND if you don't have access to the internet, etc, what do you do? You can call and ask.

Outside of this, there is no implied resemblance between mining and MDing in my post.

Also, lots of areas have "verbal" rules in place, meaning that even if you had internet, you could still go on vacation only to be run off. Whatcha gonna do - spend your vacation fighting the system? Is much easier to avoid the hassles in a foreign place and let the locals deal with it. You're on vacation - enjoy yourself. ;D

OP
OP
D

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said it in your open post.

Oh I see now! Yea I asking if a permit was even necessary if I was sluicing out of water with a recirculating setup.

Before that I was asking about sluicing and panning in general.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like everything you don't want to believe, just stick your head in the sand-cleaned up for our insidious censors-and deny deny deny hahahaha. :laughing7: John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man hard enough to sort through laws as it is. The last thing we need is dictates made by people certain you can't do anything.....because thats what they heard or at least heard that they heard that..... or something

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/insidious

especially when they just talk to be heard,not knowing what they are even saying. Makes it even more difficult for the people actually trying to find the truth.

care to translate?

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I see now! Yea I asking if a permit was even necessary if I was sluicing out of water with a recirculating setup.

Before that I was asking about sluicing and panning in general.

as definitely not trying to break your balls or call you out. just pointing out that someone can make a comment and several pages down a thread and carried over to another forum somewhere you will read how Moses stated in the old testament that you can run a sluice box on tuesday mornings during the waxing moon in September!!!!

"But.....But.... i read it on the internet".......Moses uses windows 7....you can trust him

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw a youtube video that said you could dredge anywhere in the U.S. on public land so I think I'll buy a new dredge. IT'S A JOKE!!!

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I'm sorry but I just have to say this and hopefully some will take it to heart. It really chaps my @## when someone tries to put out positive information in a thread and it turns out to be an argument between several people or the OP is tagged as giving in to the government. Come on people, stick to the tread topic and support the OP. I am not without fault for getting into arguments on the forum but it's usually my thread.

By the way Dallas, thanks for sharing this information on behalf of myself and anyone who may be planning a trip to that area.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry but I just have to say this and hopefully some will take it to heart. It really chaps my @## when someone tries to put out positive information in a thread and it turns out to be an argument between several people or the OP is tagged as giving in to the government. Come on people, stick to the tread topic and support the OP. I am not without fault for getting into arguments on the forum but it's usually my thread.

By the way Dallas, thanks for sharing this information on behalf of myself and anyone who may be planning a trip to that area.

Sorry Mike... I was trying to make sure the op knows to go deeper than what the blm "says"....as well as not taking everything read hear as gospel either..

If some one backs up the nonsense you may hear and I know it to be untrue..It is gonna be hard to bite my tounge...or keyboard that is :)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I don't think there was any giving in. I think more people should be talking with these agencies..I know that some districts seem anti mining..our guys up here are downright helpful....though flat out wrong sometimes

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Bottom line is the vetrans on this forum should be supportive of the newbies and properly educate them with facts, not rumors.

I think Dallas might be on to something. I can call and talk to BLM and what evedence do I have to show that I talked to them, nothing. Dallas on the other hand has documented information from BLM. Granted, a letter from BLM telling him what he can do does not necissarily mean BLM is right, but it might keep him from getting a citation if he carries that with him while he's prospecting. If he is approached by an LEO who questions what he is doing, he can show it to them. The responsibility is on every miner to know the mining laws for their area. I think Clay would agree that you need to be an English major to read, understand, and interpret the laws correctly.

Good luck to all.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry Mike... I was trying to make sure the op knows to go deeper than what the blm "says"....as well as not taking everything read hear as gospel either..

If some one backs up the nonsense you may hear and I know it to be untrue..It is gonna be hard to bite my tounge...or keyboard that is :)

I wanna see you biting your keyboard!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told you guys I got broken keys....the struggle is real

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember our rules on politics. politics directly related to topic is allowed but political statements, bashing etc violates our rules and will be deleted. All are welcome to discuss politics on our politics forum under charter members forum but not in our other forums... We prefer to not edit threads and posts if possible but will when it violates our rules...

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember our rules on politics. politics directly related to topic is allowed but political statements, bashing etc violates our rules and will be deleted. All are welcome to discuss politics on our politics forum under charter members forum but not in our other forums... We prefer to not edit threads and posts if possible but will when it violates our rules...

Starting to sound more like the BLM every day!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting to sound more like the BLM every day!

Jog, we have rules here and they are enforced. Every member here agrees to these rules under our Terms Of Service by posting....

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Sorry for being a smart alec.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread