Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have developed a floating sluice box to process gold!

Through quite a bit of trial and error, we have developed a floating sluice box which can be used to recover gold along any river or stream which has just a moderate flow of water. This was demonstrated during our most recent weekend outing along the Klamath River in northern California with around 50 very enthusiastic gold prospectors. The video enhanced story can be found in our July newsletter right here:

» Using a floating sluice to recover gold!- July 2016

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The way I see it , they are putting dry material into the water stream and are probly loseing lots of fine gold that is getting floated out the rear ! BUT who am I sitting here in "judgement"??????and they are out there having fun!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about something like that a few months ago, now you just have to come up with a gravity air supply...?????

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The way I see it , they are putting dry material into the water stream and are probly loseing lots of fine gold that is getting floated out the rear ! BUT who am I sitting here in "judgement"??????and they are out there having fun!

Yeah well...it's Kalif and we can only use it till they ban it. I give it six weeks. :evil6:

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking about something like that a few months ago, now you just have to come up with a gravity air supply...?????

How about trapped air...submerging it and forcing the air thru a hose filled with water and out into the a sluice? And if that worked, maybe powered by a water wheel ???

What did you have in mind winners58? :happy1:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I sent the link to this thread to Dave. He said to be sure to thank you and that you are correct that they should have wetted the material before hand. We all know how it is when you have so many thoughts on a project running in your head that you sometimes over look the simple things.

ratled

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In both his intro to the floating sluice and his demo of the gravity f'ed dredge, he emphasizes that this is recreational. What has changed to inspire him to start using this word when on a mining claim?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you have in mind winners58? :happy1:

I'm thinking, an Air Compressor, it's life support, you've never needed a permit, no regulation or even certification,
Diving with "surface supplied air" is NOT illegal in California. It is not used to process anything therefore it is not mining equipment.
sorry, I cant even think about this without getting angry...

recreational...
I heard that too, sounded like a statement to me, the state shouldn't single out one user group over others,
as a jet boat goes screaming past on their way to catch a salmon...

Last edited:

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Winner58 who is the state singling out? The new 49rs? What brings you to this conclusion..
Its as clear as day.. The new 49rs are recreational. Seems to be just truth. I find it refreshing. I suspect one day laws and regulations will reflect the difference between Recreational mining and small scale mining. As I feel it should be.. But anyway glad to see the admission by the New49rs that this is and always will be for recreation and their use of the land is purely recreational. Maybe some of these other recreational clubs will follow suit.. Or maybe they will just dig up rose bushes and call themselves miners.. Anyway to each their own..

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking, an Air Compressor, it's life support, you've never needed a permit, no regulation or even certification,
Diving with "surface supplied air" is NOT illegal in California. It is not used to process anything therefore it is not mining equipment.
sorry, I cant even think about this without getting angry...

recreational...
I heard that too, sounded like a statement to me, the state shouldn't single out one user group over others,
as a jet boat goes screening past on their way to catch a salmon...

You never " had" to have permits to dredge then you did...then you needed more regs within that program and so on until here we are....and same thing for highbanking.

Maybe Dave knows things others don't yet...and is hoping They will " allow" certain types of " recreational" prospecting in certain places.
The notion that the guys who are doing it as a recreation have had any sort of impact on mining or preventing people from getting very serious about it is pretty silly. Considering the only two things that stop anyone from getting to that point are motivation and the cost of dealing with regulations...But, sure let's let the modern government rewrite the law to make the minority(small yet for profit) of the participant base have some sort of special access or something.
I mean we all trust the state and feds would do that with commercial intrest in mind, will keep small to moderate prospectors with the ability to claim deposits and not get sued by environmental groups...

Yea I totally trust them to make that happen while considering everyone equally..............

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions