Headed to Colorado

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, everything is set, son is going to my folks, hotel reserved, known gold bearing area, and some tools in the arsenal. Ordered a Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice, have my Cube and plenty of shovels, classifiers, pans, vials(thought about just bringing a mason jar:laughing7:), Pro Pan and quite a bit of determination. I am headed to Colorado end of next week to see what some real gold is like! I have been talking with KevininColorado here on the forum and he has been helping me out a ton! Thanks Kevin! I am headed to a little place called Asssspen(kidding), seriously I am headed to the town of Fairplay, Colorado. This is where my hotel is right by the river. Headed down the 22nd, heading back 26th or 27th.
Have any of you done any prospecting in the Fairplay area? There isn't a heck of a lot about it on the internet. They have a 5 dollar per week permit and you can prospect the river right in town. Just thought I would throw that out there for you guys in case anyone had any tips or advice for a lowly Mn panner. I am staying in Fairplay however I may do a day/half day trip somewhere else if I feel a wild hair growing. Hopefully you Colorado boys left a few specks for me! Can't believe how excited a grown man can get about a vacation! I am pumped!!

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish you the best of luck.... :thumbsup:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Im sure youll drive hiway 80 from your location to the Fairplay location ! BUT don't drive hiway 70 through Missouri for any reason for the next 45 days because of construction repair on 2 bridges west of Columbia Missouri ! Missouri department of Transportation (MODOT) is saying there is some serious delays if you try to get through their single lane during this. they have 2 alternate routes BUT they are through small towns/cities and will also be backed up adding to the time to drive it! I may delay my trip to Colorado also if I cant get through at night..............

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! Thanks for the tip! My mapping software(google maps) is telling me I am taking 35 to 80 to 76, that should get me to Denver. I will avoid 70 for sure!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish you the best of luck.... :thumbsup:

Thanks! Never know, maybe I'll find a flake bigger than -100, the micro stuff was just getting old! Never been to Colorado before but my brother has several times and he said, "Jon, you're gonna want to move there", I was already looking into a potential career down there and there are some good gas companies to work for!:laughing7:

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am excited but I will say I still haven't talked to many people that have prospected in Fairplay, Kevin said he did some sampling a while back but other than him the place remains a mystery.

Silversurfer79

Dec 24, 2013
Southern, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah your gonna love it out there. Been out there a few times and it's awesome. I did do some panning in Fairplay but did have great luck. I did hit the Arkansas river by Buena Vista and found a decent amount of flour. Hope you have a great time and don't forget pictures! Good luck.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am back from Colorado folks, had a blast digging out there and even caught a few trout. Just got my last day of cons semi-cleaned up(still some dirt with the G), love seeing that gold in the pan! Kevin was kind enough to meet up the first day and he showed me how to get that Bazooka set up, I had no idea you could run it in the super fast current but you can and it works! Here is one pic of the mini cleanup I did tonight with my Bazooka cons from the last day, ran them all through the Cube.

IMG_20160802_201937.jpg

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey bottlecap, nice clean out! Where in Fairplay did you end up prospecting? I'm in CO and haven't found good gold like that...yet.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey bottlecap, nice clean out! Where in Fairplay did you end up prospecting? I'm in CO and haven't found good gold like that...yet.

Ended up digging next to a couple big huge rocks that were actually just off of the water so not in the river but right on the edge. Seemed to me if you could find rocks that the gravel has settled into you'd find gold. Actually if you get out there I would try where the old road bed was, it was washed out by the river and I think some flood gold was washed down into the rocks. If you can start digging around one of the rocks(they are big, mostly beach ball sized and half exposed) run the moist gravel you find between them. I might fly back down soon, if I do I'll let you know. Actually thinking about trying to get to Alaska this year but time is running out for that.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you come back, let me know...I need an excuse to get back there this year ;)

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think that is awesome that Bottlecap traveled as far as he did to experience prospecting in Colorado and also Kevin helping him out. Nuttin but good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread