satalite images

ffmurray

Greenie
Aug 1, 2016
new mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took a look at the same area in the santa fe national forest with a couple of different satellite imaging services. With each service I was zoomed in as far as I could get in roughly the same part of the creek.

Here are the samples in no particular order:

MapQuest
satalite mapquest.PNG

hometownlocator
hometown locator.PNG

google
google.PNG

bing
bing.PNG

mapbox (via gaiagps.com)
satalite mapbox.PNG

Are there any other good sources that I am missing?

For those of you that use satellite images to find good areas, what sort of methods do you use, any tips/tricks or suggested reading would be great. Im just getting into prospecting, and I always love learning new things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that happens hen Barry is around

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Odd that no one has mentioned this site yet. http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/ One of the most valuable tools available to prospectors no matter if they are new or experienced. Explore it first then ask questions if you have any. Hint: Pull up the interactive claims maps for NM and Co (your stated interests).

Good luck from a NM native.

Last edited:

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like caltopo.com,,,, yes it covers more than just CA. It uses the same imagery as google but is easier to use with many options.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, winners, when researching I have at least 3 windows open. 1) geocommunicator, for PLSS/TRS, 2) caltopo, for ease of navigation and 3) LR2000 for land status/claims.

arizau, I might have to give mylandmatters an honest try,,, problem is,,, it is new and I am not.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, winners, when researching I have at least 3 windows open. 1) geocommunicator, for PLSS/TRS, 2) caltopo, for ease of navigation and 3) LR2000 for land status/claims.

arizau, I might have to give mylandmatters an honest try,,, problem is,,, it is new and I am not.

I'm not sure but I think mylandmatters combines the (some of the?) maps with only one screen to open. The maps can be contracted and expanded, switched between topo and aerial views, etc. and shows all of the, up to date, claims for Cali. The weak point is that it does not indicate elevations so I have to look elsewhere when that is a concern to me. Try it. It may simplify your research. Land Matters California Mining Claims

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
using mylandmatters allows you to close two of those windows I still have google earth open

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160803-151334.png
    Screenshot_20160803-151334.png
    715 KB · Views: 103

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang it...I missed that one...lol I have a wireless keyboard...I tend to start typing on my firs cup of coffee and forget to use it.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Back when I was in network installation, one of the jobs I picked up was for the company that makes many of the cameras used in the satellites for the National Recon Office/Agency. Some of the images they had on their walls were fantastic. One of their engineers told me that they were taken from low orbit and I thought they were very cool. (Hey!!!! I can see my house from up here!!) Then he told me that the shots were not even the best they could do but anything better was classified and they couldn't have examples of their equipments' abilities up on the walls like that. Told me they almost had it down to the point that they could read a newspaper over your shoulder while you sat in the park. That was late 80s or so. GoogleEarth and the rest are nice, but they'll never have access to that kind of gear.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The U-2 still is flying after all these years. Kelly Johnson would be proud.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back when I was in network installation, one of the jobs I picked up was for the company that makes many of the cameras used in the satellites for the National Recon Office/Agency. Some of the images they had on their walls were fantastic. One of their engineers told me that they were taken from low orbit and I thought they were very cool. (Hey!!!! I can see my house from up here!!) Then he told me that the shots were not even the best they could do but anything better was classified and they couldn't have examples of their equipments' abilities up on the walls like that. Told me they almost had it down to the point that they could read a newspaper over your shoulder while you sat in the park. That was late 80s or so. GoogleEarth and the rest are nice, but they'll never have access to that kind of gear.

Read up on optics and the "circle of confusion". Physics simply don't allow reading a newspaper from low orbit much less from ordinary imaging satellites. That "almost" in the 80's still exists today no matter what you see on television.

It's true that there is much better satellite imagery available than what we are allowed to use. Even that is limited by the laws of physics.

Google works on the 3 meter standard (10 foot resolution) where they can get it, including the entire continental US. In some parts of the US One foot resolution is used. All of the imagery in that range is made from airplane photos. 1 foot resolution does not mean that you can see a one foot object it means that one pixel is represented per foot of surface viewed. It takes approximately a 32 x 32 pixel area to create a recognizable image (1024 pixels or 1024 square feet). So at best an object needs to be 32 foot square on the ground to be recognizable with one foot resolution.

I know a bunch of readers are probably thinking "BS - I can see better than that in the images already on this thread". To illustrate this concept I've clipped a 1 foot resolution 29 x 29 pixel square representing 841 square feet on the ground here:

google.png

Can you tell me what object is shown? Being below the 32 x 32 pixel limit it's unlikely that anyone can get information about that area without some other visual clues.

This is the best resolution google (and Land Matters) display. 1 foot resolution. At 3 meter resolution 32 pixels represent just short of 10,000 square feet - about the same area as a small residential house lot.

At Land Matters we use a custom worked satellite image until the map view gets down to about 300 square miles then we switch to the same streamed aerial photos everyone else uses. The government provides these images for free to google, bing and Land Matters.

The differences you see between the different maps is more about map projections than where the images come from. At Land Matters we provide equal area mapping. This means that a measurement in any direction is equally accurate. One mile North, East or Southwest is the same visual measurable distance. Accuracy in representation is our goal. Google, bing and the other map systems provide non standard mercator projections that can not be accurately measured. Depending on where you are on a google map a mile North /South may only be 70% as far in measurement (and visually) as an East/West "mile". Different maps for different purposes using the same aerial views.

Aerial mapping is slowly getting better. More of the United States gets 1 foot resolution aerial photos added each year. Satellite photos available (at a price) get a little better resolution every few years - there is a lot of competition in the satellite business but those better quality satellite photos are not free and they only cover very limited areas. Prices range around $40 per square kilometer with minimum purchases about $2000 for private one time use. The best color satellite resolution you can buy is about 4 1/2 foot resolution and that's only in select areas. Not near as high resolution as the 1 foot resolution provided for free from the government.

In our mapping business we have several sources for private very high resolution aerial photos but the cost is something only large companies with big mapping budgets can afford. For now the best quality imagery you will see is still that 1 foot resolution aerial (airplane) photography found on all the major mapping systems - including Land Matters.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
:icon_scratch:

:dontknow:

Attachments