Prospecting restrictions in the Auburn recreation area

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I received a PDF file sent to many of us in the Motherlode gold hounds club out of Auburn Ca. I tried to copy the contents here but the copy failed. It refers to new regulations in the Auburn Folsom recreation area. It appears that the new regulation permits only hands and pans prospecting. This new regulation will severely affect all prospectors in the American river area.

Upvote 0
T

Tuolumne

i thought they already tried to do that when the dredging moratorium went into affect? it was shot down no? From my memory it was the individual calls and contacts to the local regulators that had the most influence.......

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
About 2 months ago top management change for the rec area. A new notice came out and lots of emails were sent. After a week or so it seemed they were going to roll back the regs to allow tools again. Now they have come out saying it is back to hands and pans only. I will contact pioneer mining today as they have in the past been very vocal concerning the changes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just called pioneer mining and they are a where of the situation. They prefer that calls be limited to them concerning the email as they need time to investigate and call the higher ups. They will get back to us.

Last edited:

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just called pioneer mining and they are awRe of the situation. They prefer that calls be limited to them concerning the email as they need time to investigate and call the higher ups. They will bet back to us.

it would be helpful if you could post the actual documents in regards to this..

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The document is a pdf, I tried to copy and paste with no luck, any idea on how to include a pdf here ?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The document is a pdf, I tried to copy and paste with no luck, any idea on how to include a pdf here ?
I recall you can upload it to this site and post that way. Something like hit reply, go to advanced and then there is a paperclip icon and that will allow you to up load the pdf

ratled

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is a Link to the first overturn of these regs, Auburn Area Recreation

Notice in the second paragraph it reads "The State Parks Order Number 690-006-2010, changing the SRA to a "Hands and Pans only" has been withdrawn with a statement that any future ideas of change will go before the "recreating public".

Soooo, not sure if they didn't allow this to happen or there was a mistake on there part or what..

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the long doc

Dear Sirs and Madames:
Re: Gold Panning and Use of Mineral Collection Tools in Auburn State Recreation Area
Your email to the California State Parks ("CSP") Director's Office has been referred to
me for a response. I am the Superintendent of the Gold Fields District which includes
Auburn State Recreation Area ("ASRA"). My staff and I have spoken with several
visitors about many of the concerns you raised in your correspondence; namely, the
issue of which tools are appropriate for gold panning in ASRA. I have reviewed your
email correspondence and have researched the corresponding policies. This letter is
intended to clarify the rules pertaining to the use of mineral collection tools in ASRA.
ASRA contains both State and Federal lands, though the vast majority of the ASRA land
is Federal land either owned or administered by Bureau of Reclamation ("Reclamation")
and managed by CSP.1 Management of Reclamation land is governed by the
Management Partner Agreement ("MPA") between the Bureau of Reclamation and the
State of California for the Administration, Operation, Maintenance and Development of
Recreation Uses and Facilities at Folsom Lake, Lake Natoma, and Auburn Dam and
1 Almost all of the public land within the ASRA that is adjacent to the American River, where presumably
all gold panning activities in question would occur, is either owned by Bureau of Reclamation or other
Federal lands which have been withdrawn from mining activities and which are administered by
Reclamation through agreements. (See Management Agreement No. 12-LC-20-0017, Exhibit A.)
Correspondence re: Gold Panning Tools in ASRA 8 25 16

Steven Lehr, et al.
August 25, 2016
Page Two
Reservoir Area and Project Lands (Managing Agreement No. 12-LC-20-0017) ("MPA").2
This area is also governed by the Code of Federal Regulations, the Public Resources
Code, the CSP regulations (California Code of Regulations Title 14),3 as well as the
ASRA Interim Resource Management Plan.4
Management Agreement with Reclamation and California State Parks ("MPA")
The MPA is the main document that establishes governing policies for the Federal lands
in the ASRA. The MPA regards the continued administration, operation, maintenance
and development of public recreation facilities, protection of natural and cultural
resources and provision of public health and safety at Folsom Lake, Lake Natoma and
Auburn Dam and Reservoir Area Project Lands." (MPA p. 5.) Section 11 explicitly
addresses the relationship of State and Federal jurisdiction. It states,
In accordance with this MPA, the State will be responsible for providing
the following services in the Project Area: visitor services, law
enforcement and emergency services, recreation facility maintenance,
management of recreation and public use, environmental compliance,
resource protection and management as defined in subsection (v)
The State will ensure that land use and administration of the Project Areas
will conform to all applicable Federal laws, rules, regulations, policies, and
Executive Orders (Exhibit "I"). Where State policy, law and/or regulations
are more stringent, but do not conflict with Federal policy, law and/or
regulations, the State's will be the required standard.
(MPA, Section 11, p. 22, emphasis added.) This language clearly establishes that State
laws concerning natural resource protection shall govern, unless there is a Federal law
that preempts the State law.
Code of Federal Regulations
Title 43, Part 423 of the Code of Federal Regulations applies to the ASRA managed
lands. Part 423.3 notes that this regulation governs "as well as any regulations
established by the [non-federal managing] entity, the terms of the entity's contract with
Reclamation, and applicable Federal, State and local law." (43 CFR § 423.3 (c).)
2 Available here: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/500/files/MPA_Exhibits.bdf.
3 Available here:
https://govt.westlaw.cornicalregs/Browse/Home/California/CaliforniaCodeofRegulations?guid=19B44DC50
D47F11DEBCO2831C6D6C108E&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType.Default&contextData
=(sc.Default)
4 Available here: http://www.parks.ca.goviDages/21299/files/7 -
%2Ousbr%20auburn%20auburn%20sra%20interim%2Ormp%201992. pdf.

Steven Lehr, et al.
August 25, 2016
Page Three
43 CFR § 423.29 (a) states, "You must not destroy, injure, deface, remove, search for,
disturb, or alter natural resources or cultural resources, including abandoned buildings
or structures, on or in Reclamation facilities, lands, or waterbodies except in accordance
with § 423.29(g) and other applicable Federal, State, and local laws." (43 CFR § 432.29
(a).) 43 CFR § 423.2 defines natural resources as "assets or values related to the
natural world, including, but not limited to, plants, animals, water, air, soils, minerals,
geologic features and formations, fossils and other paleontological resources, scenic
values, etc. Natural resources are those elements of the environment not created by
humans." (43 CFR § 423.2.) Thus, in the absence of a law that specifically permits the
destruction of natural resources, one must not negatively impact natural resources on
BOR lands. CSP has observed destruction of natural resources and and/or near river
banks due to various gold panning activities. Under 43 CFR § 423 et seq., CSP must
not permit such destructive activities.
The Public Resources Code and the California Code of Regulations
Pursuant to the MPA and 43 CFR § 423 et seq., State law also applies in the ASRA.
The relevant laws are found in the Public Resources Code and Title 14 of the California
Code of Regulations. The Public Resources Code allows for the taking of mineral
specimens for recreational purposes upon receiving prior approval from the director.
(Pub. Res. Code, § 5001.65.) Commercial exploitation of resources in units of the State
Park System is prohibited, however. (Ibid.)
Title 14, Section 4301 et seq. addresses mineral resource collection on State Park
lands. Section 4301 defines "rockhounding," as being "the recreational gathering of
stones and minerals found occurring naturally on the undisturbed surface of the land,
including panning for gold in the natural water-washed gravel of streams." Section 4611
(e) states: "Tools, except goldpans to be used in gold panning, may not be used in
rockhounding within a unit. 'Hands and pans' only." Section 4611 (i) more specifically
addresses panning for gold. It states, "Panning for gold is considered to be
'rockhounding' as the term is applied in the Department. The goldpan is the only
exception permitted to the exclusion of tools from rockhounding in a unit as provided in
subsection (e)." (14 CCR § 4611 (i), emphasis added.)
These regulations clearly establish that while gold panning in stream gravels is
generally permitted, no tools other than hands and gold pans may be used on State
Park property to pan for gold.
ASRA Interim Resource Management Plan
The ASRA Interim Resource Management Plan ("IRMP") is another governing
document. The purpose of the IRMP to "guide the use, development, and management
of the ASRA the period while the Federal government determines whether to construct
the Auburn Dam and Reservoir]." (IRMP p. iii.) The IRMP further acknowledges that
Correspondence ro: Gold Panning Tools in ASRA 8 25 16

Steven Lehr, et al.
August 25, 2016
Page Four
PL 89-161, the authorization for the Auburn Dam and Reservoir Project, sets the broad
parameters for management guidelines in the area. (IRMP p. iv.)
The IRMP does restrict suction dredging. While it acknowledges the need to study the
environmental impacts of dredging, it also limits the types and nature of dredging that is
allowed. (IRMP pp. 127-130.) The IRMP acknowledges that "[Recreational mineral
collection] will be subject to, and must comply with, Federal laws and regulations
governing the protection and preservation of cultural resources, specifically the
Antiquities Act of 1906, the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 (as amended),
and the Archeological Resource Protection Act of 1979." (IRMP, p. 126.) "The Auburn
SRA lands have been withdrawn from mineral entry; therefore, commercial mining
cannot be permitted. Recreational mineral collection, which is mineral collection for the
fun gained and to experience the work required in the Gold Rush days, is permitted."
(Ibid.)
The IRMP mainly establishes restrictions on the use of suction dredging and motorized
sluicing in the ASRA. Those practices have since been severely restricted by California
Fish and Game Code Sections 5653 et seq. The Fish and Game Code laws apply
because they establish a stricter standard than Federal law and pursuant to the MPA,
stricter State resource protection laws govern as long as they do not conflict with
Federal law.5 Section 5653.1 does note that it "does not prohibit or restrict non-
motorized recreational mining activities, including panning for gold." Thus, while the
Fish and Game Code does clearly restrict motorized suction dredging and sluices, it
does not appear to impact non-motorized mining activities. There is nothing in the
IRMP, however, that provides blanket permission for the use of for any and all types of
gold panning tools such as shovels, sluices, etc., for gold panning purposes. More
importantly, the IRMP contemplates that concerns over environmental and historic
resources damage may be the basis for restricting gold panning activities on ASRA
lands. As such, Section 4611 regulations on gold panning tools govern in the ASRA.
Federal Mining Claims Act
Those who have perfected a claim under the Federal Mining Act of 1872 do have
certain rights to mine for minerals on Federal lands. However, the United States
Supreme Court has held that Federal mining laws and environmental regulations do not
preempt reasonable State environmental laws that restrict mining activities on Federal
land. (California Coastal Comm'n v. Granite Rock Co. (1987) 480 U.S. 572.) Thus,
even if there are mining claims on the ASRA Federal lands, CSP may still enforce its
environmental regulations on those lands to the extent that they do not impose an
outright ban on mineral mining.
5 The IRMP acknowledges that Fish and Game wardens administer dredging permits for miners and its
wardens patrol the ASRA to make sure that miners and hunters comply with regulations and have valid
permits. (IRMP p. 30.)

Steven Lehr, et al.
August 25, 2016
Page Five
Conclusion
In the absence of a Federal law that clearly overrides State regulations, ASRA must
enforce State regulations that ban the use of tools for recreational mineral collection,
except for the use of "hands and pans" for gold panning on CSP lands. I understand
that this has been a confusing issue, particularly in light of the various jurisdictions and
governing documents. I hope to work cooperatively with the public primarily through
educational means in abiding by the State law, while also fostering mineral collection
recreation activities to the extent feasible.
Thank you for bringing my attention to this matter. I hope this correspondence resolves
any confusion over the applicable policies pertaining to gold panning on ASRA. If you
have further questions or concerns regarding this matter, feel free to contact me at
(916) 988-0205 or Auburn Sector Superintendent Mike Schneider at (530) 823-4173.
Sincerely,
Jason De Wall
District Superintendent

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me that they lean heavily on regulations that affect BOR Land, when only a small percentage of the ASRA is BOR.. And sounds like there excuses is since BOR manages the land that is mostly Federal, they must enforce laws that pertain to BOR land because BOR manages it? Then it sounds like there jumping on the fresh preemption ruling as well saying they must follow state laws and there is no preemption from Federal law.

Im not very good at reading these types of letters but thats what I get from it.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much Info for repeat tries as this insidious new boss bs who interprets the rules/regs to their own sic sic sic perceptions has cost folks fortunes. Miss the old days when 8-10-12's ruled the ARA and gold flowed by the millions......long ago and far away....in a better world-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its only a "recreation" we can't let them allow something that is damaging in someones opinion.. And the people who do it shouldn't complain as it as only a "recreational" activity in the first place. Can't let such a tiny portion of the states population do this in these remote out of the way areas, that really only gets visited by hikers,prospectors and outdoorsman anyway. Imagine what it's like sitting at home on your couch having to think to yourself that someone is out there in the middle of nowhere not affecting anyone. Hopefully the state will figure this out soon and give people more places to recreate.There are millions of acres where people go now maybe they will follow the ASRA example and fix that those lands as well. Then we won't have to deal with these "hobbiest's" any more. They will only be allowed in designated areas. Since your not allowed to collect commercially the motivation to sell gold won't be there and people won't get to serious about prospecting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's interesting how the State Parks get all full of lawyer talk when they want to tell you no but they ignore all those parts of their management agreement that disagree with their position.

I can read and when I read the ASRA MPA agreement I find these little bits that make it clear the State has no right to manage minerals in the Recreation Area (NOT State land!).

From page 44 and 45 of the signed management agreement:

22. RESERVATIONS
The State’s management of the Project Areas is subject to the following conditions and reservations:

(a) Existing land uses, rights, or interests within the Project Areas and lawfully held by Reclamation, Water User Organization(s), Use-Authorization Permitees or persons or entities not party to this MPA (Exhibit M).

(d) The right of Reclamation and its agents, assigns, permitees, or lessees to prospect for, extract, and carry on the management of oil, gas, coal, and other minerals, and the right to issue leases or permits to prospect for oil, gas, or other minerals under the Act of February 25, 1920 (41 Stat. 437), and amendatory acts, the Act of August 4, 1939 (53 Stat. 1187), as amended, and the Act of August 7, 1947, (61 Stat. 913).

You won't find anything in the agreement prohibiting prospecting or mining. There are existing valid mining claims within the ASRA management area.

Heavy Pans

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RMP and the consensus tactic..could somebody go there ,express his dissensus..then film the face of the perps while reading down page 44 and 45.
Are there no laws against this type of dissinformation?

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do any of you think that the wardens are unlawfully going to patrol the prospecting areas and give tickets and take equipment ? Going out Monday, do not want to hide behind a bush ! I suppose that a warning might be given as no one is aware of any restrictions on the area which as been open to use tools
. I will check to see if any signs are posted at the entry point.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you think that the wardens are unlawfully going to patrol the prospecting areas and give tickets and take equipment ? Going out Monday, do not want to hide behind a bush ! I suppose that a warning might be given as no one is aware of any restrictions on the area which as been open to use tools
. I will check to see if any signs are posted at the entry point.

I heard from a friend he read somewhere on Facebook that the new regulations wouldn't come into affect until Jan 2017. But I have not confirmed this.

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished reading the entire MPA. Clay, the little tidbit you quoted is all the way at the end,,,, maybe the State folks didn't read that far into it,,, grin.

Do any of you think that the wardens are unlawfully going to patrol the prospecting areas and give tickets and take equipment ?

Info, the state park rangers that I have run into there have a really big chip on there shoulders. How did you make out? any sluice Nazis sightings?

I heard from a friend he read somewhere on Facebook that the new regulations wouldn't come into affect until Jan 2017. But I have not confirmed this.

Asmbandits, that date would be correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread