It's Good To Be Back

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am back on my feet and all is well with the exception of a concussion that I am working through, getting better each week. Hoping to get out and do some prospecting this winter. My wife and I took a trip recently up north where I captured Ray Mine from my drone (UAV). We don't like the word drone. Ray mine is Arizona's largest open pit mine at nearly 6.5 miles wide and 3 miles across. Hope you enjoy. Make sure to click on VIMEO to expand to full screen.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Back! :occasion14:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great to have you back my friend!

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone. Been a rough couple of years losing three family members, knee and shoulder replacement, but I have a good outlook of which is the biggest battle. Glad I had pulled the batteries from the detectors or they would be a mess. Last weekend I had the adventure of a lifetime when I had to call in Border Patrol to find a fellow UAV pilot that went missing for 8 hours. They were within 30 minutes of calling in a a helicopter. Below is his story that was posted in the UAV forums.

By Michael Bender:

Well, usually when we fly with the meetup group, I refer to the flying as an adventure. Well today it was actually an adventure that could have turned out a whole lot worse than it did. Early this morning the group headed down to Pena Blanca Lake for some scenic views and a nice place to do some aerial video. After everyone had flown a couple of flights, it was decided to move to a new location and get some great shots of Castle Rock. A few of the guys had already taken off by the time I got the 470 in the air as I had wanted to fly an autonomous mission around Castle Rock, I planned the route and uploaded it to the 470 and off I went! Following along on the screen and Mission Planner I could see that all was going according to plan, or at least I thought that at the moment. The 470 had successfully navigated the first 7 way-points while maintaining Castle Rock as a Point of Interest and that is when things went downhill in a hurry. My first indication that something was amiss is when I lost the video feed. Then Mission Planner started spouting out that it had lost contact with MavLink, by now I knew something was wrong and quickly put it into RTL. But I would later find out that by the time I selected RTL it was already too late! So by now I knew it was down and that a long day lay ahead of me. I could see on MP that the best location to start the search was on the backside of Castle Rock, so Keith and I proceeded to get as close as possible to the last known point. After accessing the location, I decided that it was time for a hike, so up the hill I went.

So I slowly made my way up the hill, luckily the day wasn’t blistering hot. So I felt I could search for a while and hopefully locate the UAV. Once I had reached the top of the hill I checked the phone and noticed that I had cell service, so I snapped a photo and txt’d it to Keith letting him know that I had reached the top of the hill.

The search began with me just trying to put into perspective where I was in relation to the last known location of the UAV. Searching in trees as well as the ground I made my way across the ridge where I believed the UAV to be, but could not locate it. I continued to make my way down the hill searching. I then stopped for a break and decided that I would see if I could get MavLink to connect, low and behold it did, so I knew I was close. I quickly marked the UAV with a way-point so in case the battery ran out I would know where it was at least. So this re-energized my search, but without knowing my position due to lack of cell or GPS, I could only search in the general direction that I believed it to be. Meanwhile at the bottom of the hill, Keith had made his way back to I-19 so he could get cell service and received my text message. I later learned that he had done this several times hoping to receive more txt’s from me letting him know that I was fine and still searching. However, unless I was on the top of hill where I had sent him the first text message, I could not get any signal. After several hours of waiting and not knowing if I was OK or not, Keith happened upon a Border Patrol agent and let him know my situation. Meanwhile I continued my search stopping periodically to see if I could get a better fix on the UAV’s location, along with trying to triangulate the location using additional way-points. By this time, I’m getting close to running out of water so I decided to find a way back to the car. So I’m walking along a large outcrop of rocks when I happen to look up the ridge and see a glimmer of white. So once again I’m heading up the hill hoping that I have found the UAV. But after slowly making my way up the hill I discovered that it wasn’t the UAV, but a large tree branch that had broken over and the white I thought I saw, was in fact the bare wood showing through the trees. So with that disappointment I decided that it was time to head to the car. By now I am out of water and struggling to keep my balance on the steep hill. I would make it 20 to 30 feet before I had to rest, usually when I lost my balance and fell. I would find some shade and take a 10 minute or so break. For what seemed like a long time, I did this routine, slowly making my way towards the top of the hill where I could once again txt Keith letting him know that I was OK for at least a couple of hours. After falling yet again I made my way to a nearby tree and propped myself up and was resting when I heard some voices. Hoping I wasn’t hallucinating, I mustered up a holler back and low and behold out of the brush popped a Border Patrol agent. Asking me if I hurt and if I could walk, my name etc. He made his way to me, and provided me with some nice cold water, which I quickly drank it down and asked for more. We slowly made our way the remaining way up the hill and was joined by three additional agents who had also been looking for me. While we were sitting at the top of the hill, talking about the UAV, I mentioned that I had an approximate GPS location and two of the agents quickly added the coordinates in their devices and let me know that the UAV was less than a 100 yards away. They asked to see if I minded if they could locate it for me as the other agents and I proceeded down to the hill towards the cars. About half way down, that the two other agents notified us that they had indeed found the UAV and were heading down as well.

By all accounts Keith saved my life today with his quick thinking and calling in the Border Patrol, for that I will always be eternally grateful!! Moral of the story, first and foremost, surround yourself with people of great character and when you go flying be prepared for anything and everything, as you never know what will and can happen!

Pena Blanca.png

At 2:25 into the video you can see Castle Rock is the far distance of which is about 8000 feet from where I am flying in this video...

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad your friend is ok. Sounds like some dehydration and heat exhaustion was setting in. The desert is a mean mistress even to those who know her ways and she damn sure does not give any leeway to anybody, even the experienced. Forget her rules and she'll smoke you in a heartbeat.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back man... glad things are looking up.
It would be a better place if all civilians owned "drones"....
:)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
It's about time you stopped lazing around and got back here man! When you're up for it and are in my neck of the woods let me know and we'll get together. Been a couple of time I thought about calling you but knowing (or not knowing) your current situation I decided against it. Call when you have a chance. Some interesting news going on.

You also need to stop beating your head against the walls man! Concussions happen that way!

Jeff

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great work Keith! Good thinking with the Border Patrol!

- Brian

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great work Keith! Good thinking with the Border Patrol!

- Brian

I knew had I called the Sheriff's Department it may have been to late for the down pilot. They would call to get a search & rescue team involved. The entire area is surround with BP agents and they know the area, these guys are like mules.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loved the Sedona video, and put it up on my Facebook page! :occasion14:

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Loved the Sedona video, and put it up on my Facebook page! :occasion14:

Terry that was a fun trip. Some beautiful country. I hope to do a return visit once the fall colors start to change towards the end of October. Will have to call to a friend in Sedona to get the correct travel day.

Video is best if you click on VIMEO and open full screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When watching the Sedona video during the opening scene you can see the shadow of the eagle being projected from the front butte onto the second butte in the rear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread