Rock Identification

GoldWiz

Greenie
Aug 4, 2016
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where is the best place on TNet to get help on rock identification? I've looked at most of the Forums but have not found anything that jumps out at me as this is the place to post, so I thought I would ask you folks. These are heavier than most of the other rocks of the same size and have to be picked out of the pan. Finding a number of these in a creek in south central Ohio. In the same spot these were found I am finding a number of strange looking rocks I don't see in other places and would like to get better at identifying rocks. I have more pictures I can post once I know the best place to ask. I forgot to put something on the table to help in sizing but these two are about the size of a pea. The first picture shows one using my iPhone microscope.
Rock3.jpg Rock1.jpg

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find all kinds of weird looking stuff in Ohio..:laughing7: I have no clue what you have.

We use to find "slag". All the time, and it will kind of hang out in your pan. They use to spread the stuff on roads,drives, parking lots, years ago, it ended up in the creeks. But anything is possible in Ohio! Including diamond! You never know what will turn up.:laughing7:

And some of it will look like crystals, lava rock, etc..I'm not sure if it was crushed or what...

Like I said no clue what you have, just kind of reminded me of it when arzau said "Prob some Iron mineral" it hit me. Maybe "slag"! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread