Gold-n-Sand No Longer in Ca?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went to the local prospecting store yesterday and heard a rumor (with some substance). The maker of Gold-n-Sand no longer building or shipping to California as his devices are now illegal for use there. I then asked; "what about the other slurp or suction tube devices on the shelf" and they had no idea having just heard this week. Anyone having any insight into this please share.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When will the madness in this state ever end.........

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dumb...that's what you get for believing propaganda and not understanding law.....even regular dredging gear is legal to sell. Combination of the shop....the maker and the customer not knowing facts. Fold like laundry and you will get put on a shelf in a dark closet.....

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it is ever banned, california will do it first lol

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dredging ban and subsequent laws (SB 637) are for motorized/mechanized suction dredging. Read and know the laws, if your equipment is not a "motorized suction dredge" the law does not apply to it, period. Is a shovel in Highbanker a dredge? No, SB637 does not apply. If you know more about the law and politely inform an enforcement agent of that law you will gain his respect and both of you will benefit from the encounter. I am not a lawyer, this is just my opinion and approach. I think that even a layman can read the law and see that it addresses motorized suction dredging,,, hence the name of the bill/law.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought their 1 way valves, and made my own for about $30.00 + shipping.

This is VERY smart. They have custom, patented valves which work better than the ones from HD. I like their leather cups too. Other than that, it's just PVC pipe and a cool sticker ;)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One update, I heard today that Red (the inventor/owner) is designing his own more durable fittings. Instead of being standard plumbing pieces they will be more prospector-proof!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is VERY smart. They have custom, patented valves which work better than the ones from HD. I like their leather cups too. Other than that, it's just PVC pipe and a cool sticker ;)

Red might say...... shame on you Kevin!:laughing7:
Do the new square valves offer better performance? I think a 12 volt attatchment would be a great idea for culvert crevicing....
I like the leather cups. A friend of mine has a Gold-N-Sand hand dredge....He asked me why the plunger wouldn't work. After examination I showed him, warm water revives those leather cups! (it did)

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even a little while in cold water will do the job on the leather. The square valves do work better AND the flappers are replaceable.

Red is a friend, I think he'd agree :D

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Contacted Gold N Sand directly and they said that;" Due to the passage of SB 637 and amendments, they can no longer state that their systems are legal for use in California"

Then contacted the California Dept of Fish and Wildlife and their response was:"Using such a device in Ca waterways without a permit would likely result in a citation".

Bottom line; If using a Gold N Sand type suction system in Ca you'd better keep it on the down low. You can rant and rave about the injustice of the whole issue, try to "educate" the LEO of what you believe the law is and your rights (as he's writing you the ticket) but fact remains, if caught your likely going to face a judge .

I'm writing this because a lot of people look to these forums for direction and advice. I would hate to see a new unknowing prospector "rolled up" because he took bad advice from some others ignorant of the way Ca law stands concerning the matter.

The whole thing stinks but for now thats the way it is.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't click the like button as this horrendous stealing of our miners rights was predicated on the hypothetical Rights groups and massive miner mining clubs. Haven't sold a thing either as equipment all over for pennies on the dollar but not buying anything to resell. I sleep better, righteously really, but this insanity will be PROPERLY addressed next month in S.B. courtroom as the worm turns. John

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I'm writing this because a lot of people look to these forums for direction and advice. I would hate to see a new unknowing prospector "rolled up" because he took bad advice from some others ignorant of the way Ca law stands concerning the matter.

Therein lies the problem. Too many people are looking to the forums for answers for right and wrong. There are some on this forum i believe are qualified to give the rights and wrongs, me not being one of them. Therefore, from now on, I will only provide people with referrences of where to look for their answers. They can read the rules for themselves, make their own interpretation of what the rules mean, and come up with their own defense for the LEO's. It's deflating when you are asked to provide good information based on research, then to have that information stepped on, and then have it that information reaffirmed by someone else. No wonder miners are confused.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Just to add, I'm not confused. I know black and white and until they get their crap together in this state, i'll operate in the grey at my own risk.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know, there is information and then... The grey areas are strangling us prospectors. This is certainly one. My Liberty to bring a souped up turkey baster to the creek shall not be infringed!

It amazes me that suction could bother anyone. Solely based on some false fear. A properly tended dredge is the least destructive method of mining. A gold-n-sand? Come on. I doubt anyone would ever know you were there.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contacted Gold N Sand directly and they said that;" Due to the passage of SB 637 and amendments, they can no longer state that their systems are legal for use in California"

Then contacted the California Dept of Fish and Wildlife and their response was:"Using such a device in Ca waterways without a permit would likely result in a citation".

Bottom line; If using a Gold N Sand type suction system in Ca you'd better keep it on the down low. You can rant and rave about the injustice of the whole issue, try to "educate" the LEO of what you believe the law is and your rights (as he's writing you the ticket) but fact remains, if caught your likely going to face a judge .

Forgive my ignorance about all this...I'm trying to stay informed, but I admit my understanding is a bit lacking. I have a hard time deciphering the legal stuff I've read. ???

What changed recently that allowed for this reinterpretation of the existing moratorium? I had heard from several sources who had questioned LEO who said that the PVC equipment was OK. Was there something in the news that caused a reversal on the original determination that PVC equipment qualified as "hand-operated?" Is this a situation where there might be differences in local interpretations/enforcement, and some hard-liners are mucking up what was generally understood previously?

Also, do you think this falls under the blanket, "No permits for dredges," or, might there be a variance/exception permit for a minimal collection/disturbance device like the PVC equipment? Is this just an effort on the State's part to keep track of what's going on, who's doing what, and perhaps set an outline for additional revenue?

Thanks for helping to clarify this for me.

-Bruce

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what happens when mechanized to equated with motorized. Suddenly F&G now interprets a mechanical advantage as the same as motorized. A pan is an advantage. What's next? Detectors, dowsing rods?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, your snuffer bottle is out of here!!!!!!

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When we get rid of the liberty sucking Libs destroying this fine weathered state
NO ON 63

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions