Blue Bowl Concentrat Seperator Question

Samauri-Ray

Oct 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All,

I got my blue bowl and have it plugged in and going well. Perfectly balanced / level and it appears to be working well.

I have been messing with the flow and not sure what to do. Do I turn it up some what high? When I do I see concentrates climb the cone, but it looks like some of my gold is also moving.

I have turned it down and have been letting it run for several hours. I see color at the edges.

What is the optimum time that takes the gold to separate out? I watch the videos and they appear to see it separate pretty quickly, but they are also editing the videos.

Anyone that can give me any input on flow speeds and how aggressive the water needs to flow and time it takes to separate, that would help a lot to let me know if I am doing it right.

Thanks

Ray

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray, the adjustments vary for everyone. It all depends on the gold....what size? coarse or flat shape? How close is the size classification of the fed material? You just have to play with it until you're confident it's working the way you want. Obviously, you don't want your gold climbing all the way up the cone.
Jim

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run 30 mesh between 1/2 to 3/4 down from the top
50 mesh between 3/4 to 1 inch down and 100 mesh over an inch down
I get stuff that is below 100 mesh I can see it when it clumps together on the lip
it looks like lot but it really isn't, for me life's too short the -100 con's go in a coffee can.
Blue Bowl Instructions

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray , classification is most effective step you can do with a bowl. Like Jim says, you'll kinda get a feel for the speed. Assuming you're in a closed system you can [ and should ] rerun your tailings. That should give you an idea how fast to run it. Good Luck

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a playlist that shows everything on the blue bowl. Basically you want it to run out the sands while you watch it, while leaving the gold. The first thing to do is change out the hose valve to a gate valve. You don't have to get into it like the videos but you can't beat this set up :)

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the vid I was looking for.... ya beat me to it Reed....:laughing7:

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The maker of that owns a mining supply shop by my house, he told me to add some dish washer rinse aid like cascade to keep fine gold on the bottom

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
yup.. It's called jet dry.

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh jet dry is what I have haha cascade is the actual soap my bad lol

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd also add that you should catch/re-run your concentrates (or just pan & look for color).

Eventually you'll probably get it dialed in enough where this isn't necessary but in your situation I'd be checking multiple times to make sure I was losing anything.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I would just go with the Gold Hog Multi Sluice.... Faster, and probably almost as efficient.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of different factors come into play with the blue bowl. As been mentioned, classification, and characteristics of your gold are key. My gold comes from the Northeastern Sierras, and is relatively consistent. I run all my black sands through a tight mesh tea strainer (larger cons go in the can for later). I keep my water level steady at about 3/4" below the rim, add material tablespoon at a time, and let it go. This is a winter time project so it's no rush for me. Everything is set up in my living room so I can monitor it's progress and still watch the game (or gold shows). I also added a length of UBS pipe below the funnel to drop the black sands straight to the bottom of my bucket. This keeps that material in the bucket and not recirculating back into the bowl. My gold seems to form a line just before where the water inlet is rather than at the base of the funnel.

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would just go with the Gold Hog Multi Sluice.... Faster, and probably almost as efficient.

I'm thinking about selling my blue bowl because everything has to be perfectly level. Black sands are unpredictable as to weight, and constant water adjustments must be made. I end up running it through a clean up sluice, and double check by panning the tailings. I'm not losing enough to be concerned, plus running a blue bowl is time consuming.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I love my blue bowl. It all comes down to classification. When I am working at the dig sight, I spend a little extra time on panning ensuring I am only bringing home super concentrates, basically bringing home nothing but the black sands and gold.

It takes me no more than 1-2 hours at home to work my concetrates through the bowl. I agree with Reed on the gate valve. It's easier to regulate than the ball valve it comes with.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking about selling my blue bowl because everything has to be perfectly level. Black sands are unpredictable as to weight, and constant water adjustments must be made. I end up running it through a clean up sluice, and double check by panning the tailings. I'm not losing enough to be concerned, plus running a blue bowl is time consuming.

Smart move. You can get thru your concentrates faster by just classifying and panning!
1. Wet classify to +30,30-50,-50
2. Remove magnetic material by attracting it up thru water in pan while waving magnet back and forth so random nonmag particles are washed out.
3. Pan each size separately
4. Suck out gold, put in green ceramic soap dish or bowl
5. Swirl &/or backwash to remove last of the "non-gold"
6. Enjoy the pretty gold

...whole process takes less than an hour. Maybe 20-30 min once you get practiced at it.

Cjones

Nov 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a blue bowl, it's to slow for me. I am looking at one of these Gold Webb ? Gold Concentrator. No classifying and extremely quick from what I heard. Looking for a bit more info on them. They are claiming 100% gold retrieval.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Nothing captures 100% of the gold!! it probly did capture their % of gold that they ran for its size BUT adding dry fine gold (like he did) to that WILL cause it to float or be blown out into his bowl. Simple device that seems to work pretty neat. screening your material , and running them separately would be a benefit. I didn't see the price of it BUT..........

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at one of these Gold Webb ? Gold Concentrator.
I can not find any info on this product other than the video. There is no link to price or order page. I will look harder. I have a miller table now. Either the black sand I have has no fines in it or I am not operating it correctly. but no gold yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread