Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I'm poking around the property the other day and come across a nice weathered quartz vein thats in an area that my wife wont have a fit if i dig it up/out, the vein or out cropping is maybe 20 feet long of the parts I can see without digging to much..this quartz runs at 157 degrees SE/NW there is a blue clay seam on one side and a Brown/Yellow clay on the other,along with slate,Shale and many roots, I dug some of the blue clay and hammered a bit of quartz, but not having a way to crush and pulverize other than a rock hammer I mostly stayed to the clay and dirt, found a few small specks ok that is a good start, after raking away more ground cover I found what looks like another clay seem running diagonal to the seem.. now Im baffled, where the heck do I start to dig material to classify and sluice, I've used my gold bug and being somewhat new to metal detecting it was no help, I had signals from Iron to gold all over, on top of that there must have been a gun fight here a long time ago as there is 32 cal and 25 cal brass and lead bullets everywhere. I have a couple of pics that I'll post with this and I've made some notes as to which is which, (old cell phone)
Area Background. Placerville CA, my house is on a very old registered claim that,according to CA mining history produced $800K in gold during the active mining era, the whole area historically was claimed up.
So if you would please check out the pictures and if any advise,thoughts,whatever much appreciated
Thanks
Tony photo 1 11-8 notes.jpg photo 4 11-8 notes.jpg

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you own the mineral rights. If so, get to digging,hammering, scraping , sniping and test panning ! Good luck Tony

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tony,
There are several somewhat older comments here on Tnet about hand powered home made rock crushers that work, basically slamming a closed end pipe or bar into a very solid container that does a reasonable job of crushing up the rock sample but wear safety glasses.
That is a marvellous looking possibility you have there! One thing to do is really spend some time learning your detector as I've found them to be a best friend for locating gold. From your comments about the lead and brass there, you have a challenge that can only be overcome by cleaning up the trash signals. The other thing to do is to grid off the entire area with locating stakes, label a drawing of the site and then take samples labelled with the locations on the drawing, pan them out and record the results. Whatever method you use it needs to have some sort of system to it to be able to keep track of what has been found as this should help you understand the site.
Best of success with your Adventure....................63bkpkr

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your gonna have to just keep scraping and poking around. Have you gone to the museum at the fairgrounds? They let you in the back room once a week to look at the old books, pictures and maps and research, I think you can make an appointment as well.
I'm assuming it as a lode claim? If the mine pulled that much there should be workings. Even big producers can look like just a depression in the ground now. Look for where maybe a head frame was removed or burned down. waste rock piles, tailings, or hopefully ore piles. Get a big magnet on a pole so you can clear areas without bending over constantly.
If you have the name of the mine you can try to find reports on the deposit and similar ones nearby. Info on the veins ant the host rock will help a lot. If your finding small surface cuts and surface workings you should be able to see some sort of pattern. If there are throw out piles start raking and detecting those.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You asked where to start and RodC told you as mineral right are absolutely paramount to your cause. Just remove the junk as it's your home and you'll find the bottom of the pile and the gold if any. Ascertain if it was lode/placer as both require a completely different mindset/process/procedure. That gold bug will definitely do the deed either way to start with. Acreage size is imperative as it predicates-if you have mineral rights-what you will do as MUST be clean, small and quiet above all. Have a ball...any running water? Are you in Placerville city limits as they too have limitations. tons a au 2 u 2-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe you have the rights down to a certain depth but check to be sure. If you've got full rights then have a blast (and I don't mean start using the explosives!) As John said you may have restrictions if within the city limits but nothing that using a little stealth mining shouldn't be able to overcome.

You can make a crusher pretty easy if you've got a cutting torch and welder. (or a friend with one) Pick up a digging bar from Home Depot and a 4-6 inch steel tube and a little bit of plate steel (at LEAST 1/2 inch thick) Weld a plate to the tube to close off one end. Try to make it so it's got about a tube width extra on all sides so it will stand on its own. Then cut a piece of the plate that will just fit into the tube and weld it to the end of the digging bar. Not only will you be able to crush up your rock, but you'll also get a good workout. Safety glasses and gloves recommended!!!!

OP
OP
T

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I've checked the museum, My Property is on the John Steely claim, a lode claim, approx 100 yards west is the beggining of the Round Out Claim another lode, and then say 200 yards to the northwest is negro hill which was a placer claim, all of these claims were owned by the Placerville consolidated gold company, which no longer exists, they apparently have some mineral rights in the area,however my grant deed has nothing in even the small print about mineral rights,I'm digging away.. I just came up from the spot after getting some descent signals on my gold bug, I keep getting distracted as just below the surface there are tons (well maybe not tons) of really good looking quartz,almost like they were tossed there by someone some time ago, I have lived here for almost 30 years and a veterinarian before that.. I didnt start the gold prospecting until about a year and a half ago when I retired.. so I'll keep looking.. I have seemed to have found a pattern of small 2" to 24" quartz veins running sw/ne about every 100' however I only live on 1/2 acre and my wife is very particular about her landscape so many of these veins are off limits, still its a blast to look and I figure that success will come eventually
Thanks everyone

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Just because your detector dosen't sound off on a vein or stringer doesn't mean ther is no gold at that spot.A detector will not pick up fine gold,even lot's of it....and who's to say that five feet below where your detecting there are not some nice quartz species or small pockets.Take your samples and crush and pan every five feet or so.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Give us a call when you want to install that wine cellar for your wife.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would crush and pan some of the brown crumbly stuff. Hopefully its hiding in the rocks.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have access to a jaw crusher and flail mill and set up to recover fine gold. Cool thing about Placerville area is that the old gravel channels are on top of lode zones, so two sources of gold in one spot. I used to live up cedar ravine by the hospital. That whole area is the same. Get back in the brush and you find placer and lode digs. on top of each other. Deep gravel by Texas Hill shallower in your area with benches going down to the modern river.
Let me know if you want another set of eyes. I live up in Garden Valley now but, I'm in Placerville several times a week right now. You can shoot me a p.m. whenever. I'd be glad to help you learn more about the history of your property and hopefully help you find gold on your land.
Before I opened my shop I spent time at the planning dept. You are allowed to quite a bit of work on your property as far as mining goes and county ordinance I have the printouts. Within city limits does change things. Though your so small even ramping up a bit that you will not be noticed. So, many people have amazing things right under their feet yet, don't know or could care less. Glad your lucky enough to know and want to dig it up. It's nice to have the security and access. Those are two of the hardest things to get at good locations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread