Did they find gold?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say some other mineral. First, I don't remember reading anywhere about slate being associated with gold - although anything's possible. Second, it's rather dark.

It's an interesting piece - no doubt about that! But gold? .....I dunno. :dontknow:

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thatsnotau;(

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Just scrape a little of that yellow looking stuff off the rock,grind it up and pan it out.....and if you don't have faith in that ages old test bring it to a jeweler.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He lives close to me. I commented. I'll help him learn to ID and get him on some real gold. If he takes me up on it that is.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say some other mineral. First, I don't remember reading anywhere about slate being associated with gold - although anything's possible. Second, it's rather dark.

It's an interesting piece - no doubt about that! But gold? .....I dunno. :dontknow:
In the mother lode the Gold is in mineralized veins in fractures in the slate. And shear zones in (less understood) Driving down to Chili Bar there road cuts in the black slate shot full of quartz veins.
The areas of contact between the eastern Mariposa formation, mainly the black slate, and Calaveras formation shist and limestone (not around here though) can have rich pockets and lodes. Especially on serpentine contacts. And in the really oreo cookie looking slate deposits. There are many variances and more details but, yes gold is found with slate. Though the rock shown is not gold.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys!! :thumbsup: I gotta admit, I haven't done much study about the West Coast - mostly as I'll never go there again. But I bet that sure would be a purdy sight - gold against a backdrop of slate!! :occasion14:

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I've read somewhere or heard that gold can be found in the serpentine in the motherlode, though I've never seen it...is that true goldwasher?
seen plenty of serpentine in the upper parts of the south and middle forks of the Yuba.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The contacts of serpentine and the other formations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread