questions (maybe answers?)

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got a dry creek bed that has color. it runs off the side of the mountain and into the S. Yuba, it used to be the chute for an hydraulic mine.
gotta clear lotta brush, like to build a zipline for buckets.
any suggestions for rope? I've a true value hardware store nearby, don't want braided nylon, need something that can take being stretched and the stress of the weight.
any other suggestions for doing this would help.

danke, merci, grazi.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dyneema and Spectra are the same rope. Dyneema is the name given by the European manufacturers and Spectra is the name given by the U.S. manufacturers. DSM, a Dutch company, owns the patent and licenses the fiber under two different names.

If you want to avoid the extra cost of shipping from Europe just buy the U.S. manufactured Spectra rope. It's the same material either way.

Dyneema/Spectra does have some "creep" and will stretch over time if you keep a load on it. If you "shock" the rope with a sudden big load it can break under the heat stress, that's why it's not favored as a belay rope in climbing. Spectra is about 8 times lighter than a steel cable of the same load rating, it's also a lot more flexible.

Heavy Pans

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Assuming you'll have an attached retrieval rope to pull the bucket back up, maybe something like this.
Please excuse the bad picture, I'm not that good at using paint.
Untitled.jpg
When the load gets to the end of the retrieval rope, the bunjee will stretch slowing the bucket at the bottom of the run and if attached to the bottom it might even empty itself and be ready for the ride back up for a refill. Hang the bucket with a small snatch block to eliminate the friction on the cable or rope. With the return rope anchored at the top with the zip line, you only need to make sure it doesn't get tangled on the ride down.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job with the Paint Mike, don't sell yourself short. Perfect set up for what seems to be needed. I made one note to your diagram

ratled
Friction.jpeg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like this? Maybe make a net for boulders too? 1K+ payload sounds pretty good! :thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.com/Braided-Spectra-Speargun-Shooting-Survival/dp/B00U6OJMYA

You can't use it for boulder nets because the strength isn't there unless it's stretched out straight. This is why cable is a much better choice for boulder slings. I've had too many ropes simply stretch and be a pain because you're always having to tighten them. You tighten the cable once, put cable clamps around it, and it's there, tight as possible with much less of a chance of stretching. I've actually done this before with buckets and I've put together a couple trollies to cross the river on along with hi-lining a 6" American Dredge into and out of the water and up the hill 150 yards above the trees. Anything that has a chance of stretching is worthless.
Here's a link on how we build our boulder slings and then the old winching basics clip is after it - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL85E2DB686826634B

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice observation ratled, I guess the pulley shaft was loose and the rope jumped out of the groove.
Next time I won't use a harbor freight special :tongue3:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to try and dump it then the lower rope will have a use but the pull rope needs to be hooked to the side of the pulley and more then likely depending on the angle of the cable, you will need a double pulley system to keep it from snagging constantly. I sure miss the days of living on the river and using the cable trolleys to get back to the other side. There were 2 on the American and the last one I rebuilt in the early 70's is still in use on the Bear River below Dutch Flat.
File:Aerial ropeways Nepal trolley guide pulley1.jpg - Appropedia: The sustainability wiki

25KN-Zipline-Kit-25KN-font-b-Cable-b-font-Trolley-font-b-Pulley-b-font-and.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread