questions (maybe answers?)

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got a dry creek bed that has color. it runs off the side of the mountain and into the S. Yuba, it used to be the chute for an hydraulic mine.
gotta clear lotta brush, like to build a zipline for buckets.
any suggestions for rope? I've a true value hardware store nearby, don't want braided nylon, need something that can take being stretched and the stress of the weight.
any other suggestions for doing this would help.

danke, merci, grazi.

Upvote 0

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wire rope is good, but also look into Kevlar rope and spectra rope witch has lightness on it's side with very minimal stretch.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Look up "winch rope" on Amazon. This is a lightweight, synthetic rope designed for very little stretch. Comes in thickness as small as 1/4".

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The down side to the synthetic winch lines, like Am Steel, is they don't take abrasion very well. Using as a telfer line, or zip line, is there is constant friction on the line. It will wear out very fast. As it is NOT cheap I wouldn't use it for this application. The light weight is sweet though

ratled

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mountain climber's robe is terrific. But super expensive. I have 1 that I've used for 30 years.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mountain climber's robe is terrific. But super expensive. I have 1 that I've used for 30 years.

Contact a climbing club to get hand me down rope.

OP
OP
L

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
all great suggestions....I wouldn't be using steel cable for the weight considerations...I have to haul it 1.25 miles down a trail and get it across the river.
I've heard parachute cord is good for this application, don't know where I can find that where I live and mine, not having a real address is hard for shipping (maybe General Delivery would accept something, but I doubt that.)
I figure I've got about 75' from where I'll be dropping the buckets to the river.
I'm going to need more exploration before I go all out and that won't happen until after Memorial Day when the river gets lowered.

Thanks for the input.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Laz, That wouldn't weigh that much in steel cable and you may be able to go with smaller diameter. I keep a coil behind the seat of my pickup for winching situations if I need it. How would you tighten the line? Comealong maybe?

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing you've already given some thought to what happens when the 100lb bucket gets to the other end going ??? mph.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I'm guessing you've already given some thought to what happens when the 100lb bucket gets to the other end going ??? mph.
Id make sure you had a large hopper at the other end to catch the off-fall from the bucket as it slams into your partner at the wrong end of the line. Maybe bring a couple more guys to replace each other periodically!:tongue3::headbang:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Contact a climbing club to get hand me down rope.

Actually, most mountain climbing clubs wont give up their retired ropes. When they become unusable for climbing they cut them up and toss them. Its a matter of liability. I tried to get some retired ropes to use for knot tying for my Boy Scout troop and even though I promised to never climb on them, they refused.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think your best bet is synthetic winch cable. You can keep the abrasion down by using quality ball bearing pulleys and never let the winch line touch the ground tor step on it. The grit will cut the fibers when you repeatedly stretch it tight.
Parachute cord (550 cord) wont work because it is stretchy
You can find cheapo climbing rope (not certified) at hardware stores and I have seen it ant Whistle Workwear. You are looking for static line, it wont stretch. Dynamic line is stretchy to absorb the shock of a falling climber

Is it possible to put the ore in a cart with wheels and lower it? You can use any kind of rope and load it heavier

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've carried dredges in farther then that in multiple trips. Steel cable is the best. 3/16 would be enough but 1/4" you can really crank tight. If you're far enough in, just mount it and leave it. You could put hooks on each end and take it with you every time but you could also coil it up and leave it on sight. I think that I still have a cable stretcher and will look for it if you need it. Either way, the tools to put it in the first time will weigh more then the cable itself.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Any Dyneema rope such as Amsteel II by Samson. For a given diameter it has the same working strength as wire rope with no stretch and does not lose any strength when wet. I have replaced all my winches with Amsteel II.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what would be the cost of this syn. rope vrs. steel cable ??

If you get it from a source that doesn't require it to be boated to the US, you are taking about $75 for 100' of 1/4" synthetic (OP is guessing about 75' of travel and doesn't include any tie off points)

The HD example for 100' is $36 for wire rope.

ratled

OP
OP
L

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
all good thoughts...I've got a couple friends (really?) that might be able to help. not carrying in, but suggestions or maybe a loan.
the gold on the lower part of this creek was small flake and not in great quantity in the few samples I took. I'm hoping further up something larger, maybe some amalgam as well will be found.
I've got to be careful how far in I go, I'm sure part of it is patented.
an ore cart was suggested a few posts back...not practical, this a cleft in between mountains, moderately steep, then a drop off that's just clay, becomes a waterfall this time of year.
it'll be spotty gold, there's patches of gravel behind boulders and drops, then the nastiest gooiest clay, typical of S. Yuba, so I figure much of the gold has run off over the years...no visible bedrock until you hit the river, and that spot has been worked by every lazy miner I've seen...worthless.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread